cnelk 25-Oct-17
Mudslinger 25-Oct-17
smurph 25-Oct-17
Bowhunter23 25-Oct-17
Bowhunter23 25-Oct-17
Bowhunter23 25-Oct-17
Bowhunter23 25-Oct-17
25-Oct-17
I have very little experience elk hunting. I’m a huge Whitetail hunter. I currently live in Wisconsin and am looking to go out west in September of 2018. When is the best time to hunt elk? I heard the rut usually occurs during the middle of September. Is that true? Also can anyone lead me to a place where I can be successful during my hunt next year? Much appreciated

25-Oct-17
I am far from a seasoned elk Hunter, but having soaked up much knowledge from all the experts on this forum I would make one suggestion. Try to set a reasonable expectation of what you are looking for before you even start assessing states or units, etc. I would say there are at least 4 criteria that you want to consider. Quality of elk (antler size as a rough estimate), quantity of elk, time/effort you are willing to devote, and $ you are willing to contribute. You are most likely going to have to compromise on one or more of these attributes. For instance, if you want to hunt large, unpressured elk with minimal effort, you better be prepared to fork out substantial $ for private access and/or a landowner tag. If you are willing to shoot the first cow elk that you can find, your options open up quite a bit. Once you decide on your expectations, then you can start narrowing down a state/timeline/unit.

25-Oct-17
What I would suggest is searching the website. More specifically look at the elk forum and begin reading. There is more info to help develop your knowledge base. As you read, you will identify states that you can actually draw/buy a tag in 2018. From that list, you can start looking at particular areas within each of these states (State G&F, DOW websites out west have more info than Quaker has oats)

I am not trying to be a pr!ck, but every bowhunter on here is looking to be successful. No one will give you there own hotspots. (Especially OTC public land)

If you absorb the info from the elk forum, you will have empowered yourself beyond any info any single individual could give you.

25-Oct-17

cnelk's Link
bowhunter23 - see link before you head west

Its been told that elk hunting will ruin your WT hunting :)

25-Oct-17
bowhunter 23- it might be a good idea to buy a Wyoming preference elk point by Oct. 31 if you want to try Wyoming next year for a unit, that way you have a point if you need it.

25-Oct-17
tkjwonta X2, that is an amazingly accurate! Except for the third option of gathering points and watching point creep keep you just out of reach of your dream unit!

25-Oct-17
Z Barebow, that makes sense. Just want a place to start and have someone lead me in the right direction since I’ve only hunted white tails and am looking for an amazing experience out west. Looking to put in a lot of effort to arrow a big elk

25-Oct-17
Z Barebow, that makes sense. Just want a place to start and have someone lead me in the right direction since I’ve only hunted white tails and am looking for an amazing experience out west. Looking to put in a lot of effort to arrow a big elk

25-Oct-17
Cnelk- reading that article gets me excited!!!

25-Oct-17
Appreciate the advice mudslinger. I’ll look into it

• Sitka Gear