25-Oct-17
I’ll bet it’s been done!

OUCH.

And I'm a total badass. Just sayin’.

25-Oct-17

Highllainsdrifter's embedded Photo
Highllainsdrifter's embedded Photo

25-Oct-17
Looks like blood on the yellow vane. Tough driving yourself to the ER not to mention taking your shoe off. Just yank that thing out.

25-Oct-17
Ummmm... What part of gun safety does not apply to crossbows?

Except that a crossbow will lop off your fingers/thumb even when it’s pointed in a “safe” direction.

Those are just flippin’ scary!

26-Oct-17

Dooner's embedded Photo
Dooner's embedded Photo
Remember that guy who was shot in the head by his brother? Stupidity is not confined to cross-bow hunters.

26-Oct-17
My uncle shot his thumb off with a crossbow a few years ago. Still not sure why he had his hand up there in the first place.

26-Oct-17
Oh yes you can do that with bow. Friend of mine, now passed on, shot himself in the foot with recurve. And BTW- when doing research some years ago, in Ohio, there were more accidents with trad arch. equipment than with crossbows, according to the state reports. So why start this crap?

26-Oct-17
Learning has occurred.

26-Oct-17
Who sheds more tears? The crossbow accident guy or the crossbow inclusion supporter?

26-Oct-17
Bottom line.........You can't fix stupid.

27-Oct-17
"And BTW- when doing research some years ago, in Ohio, there were more accidents with trad arch. equipment than with crossbows, according to the state reports."

Always makes me wonder how they define an "accident", though.... Are we talking "cut your thumb on a broadhead", or shooting yourself in the foot, or hurting somebody else entirely? And is "more" actually a larger number, or just a higher number of incidents per 100,000 participants?

My guess is that if you could break all the data out by crossbows, compounds and "trad" bows, you'd likely find about the same rate of incidence, just because the type of equipment a person chooses probably has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with how safety-conscious or accident-prone or just plain stupid they might be...

27-Oct-17
Many years ago a couple buddies and I hosted a group of midwest guys on their first elk hunt. They were acquaintances through work. They drank a crazy amount of beer and they shared the dubious claim to fame that they had each been shot by one of the others in the group with either a bow or shotgun. Most of the "accidents" involved plenty of alcohol

27-Oct-17
The high injury rate years ago with trad gear was a combo of very poor quiver designs (non hood bow mounted was quite popular for a while) and folks who didn't know better stalking with an arrow nocked. Many folks didnt even use broadhead wrenches not that long ago. Totally agree today accident rates are probably similar between various types of gear.

I know I shouldn't, but just have to say these folks are lucky no rages were involved. Could you imagine throwing an axe though your leg or foot? Sorry. LOL!

27-Oct-17
GF is dead on. Very seldom does equipment injure someone. Usually, it is operator error. You can find stupidity in the person, regardless of what is in his hands. As an example, about 25-years ago, I testified before our wildlife commission to prevent crossbows from being used, even by the handicapped. How stupid was that? I even thought the dang things shot like a rifle and would hurt bowhunting. Talk about stupid.

27-Oct-17
The stupid shall be punished! I kind of feel bad giggling out loud like I did seeing those photos! Just kind of though!

27-Oct-17
Xbows scare me more than guns. I think it is easier to keep a muzzle away from you. The loaded string just makes me too nervous to ever want to use one.

27-Oct-17
"My guess is that if you could break all the data out by crossbows, compounds and "trad" bows, you'd likely find about the same rate of incidence, just because the type of equipment a person chooses probably has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with how safety-conscious or accident-prone or just plain stupid they might be..."

The real question is.... is the rate of stupid people shooting crossbows higher than that of stupid people shooting vertical bows? I would sure think so, but don't get your panties in a wad bowriter. ;)

27-Oct-17
" is the rate of stupid people shooting crossbows higher than that of stupid people shooting vertical bows?"

That there is a classic line. I'm pretty certain the rate of LAZY people shooting xbows is higher than that of lazy people shooting bows (I refuse to call them "vertical" bows). And if LAZY = STUPID...?

27-Oct-17
lol smarba, I was just razzing bowriter. The logic does make sense though, just like a lot of doomsday prepares buying AR's when they've never been around guns or taught firearm safety, there's nothing more dangerous about an AR but when you give someone not educated in gun safety and gun with a bunch of gizmos and buttons as opposed to simple rifle, occasionally something is going to give. Other than those that are disabled I'd agree MOST x-bow shooters are the lazy, inexperienced type that just throw a bolt on and go hunting, not knowing their weapon or spending much time shooting it. I doubt their are any of those guys on this site.

27-Oct-17
Most crossbows have poor design which results in shot off thumbs and people shooting themselves in the foot when trying to uncock them as some you have to shoot to uncock which is very dangerous if you are out in the field and decide to shoot it into the ground as no doubt occured above ! As far as lazy being stupid some of the laziest guys I worked with were the smartest as they were always coming up with inovative shorter and smarter ways to do things because it meant less work and they were after all lazy !

27-Oct-17
LOL- Stupidity is an equal opportunity, incurable disease.

29-Oct-17
Let's be honest, there are some that can get hurt with a rubber band and a paperclip. You cannot fix stupid.

• Sitka Gear