Xbowdoctor95's embedded Photo
Open Shooting all the way around
Open Shooting all the way around
Other side of the rock.
Other side of the rock.
So, I did a little work on some Whitetail stands today. I found a small creek bottom and began to follow it and came onto this. I haven't scoped for bear tracks/sign but it is about a mile or less away from where the bears have been sighted in recent years. It has the ridge coming down into this beautiful bottom. Is it too close to the water? I think it's got all the makings for a prime hunting stand. Only issue is the ol' logging road is only a rocks throw away. But what do you guys think?

28-Oct-17
Too open,find where the creek exits a dense block of conifer that’s the most likely area a large male will hold up and feel concealed enough to approach in daylight

28-Oct-17
Personally I’d never consider an open area

28-Oct-17

TSI's embedded Photo
TSI's embedded Photo
Personally I’d never consider an open area

28-Oct-17

TSI's embedded Photo
TSI's embedded Photo
Big bears like cover and use it effectively,trick is making big boars feel safe when they actually are exposed.

28-Oct-17

TSI's embedded Photo
TSI's embedded Photo
This bear would never have taken an arrow in the open

28-Oct-17

TSI's embedded Photo
TSI's embedded Photo
This 21 inch plus giant had no idea he was exposed and used all the cover right up to the final few feet

28-Oct-17
Id hang a stand on one side of creek and bait the other in thickest bush/bottom area. How old/travelled is logging road? If it isnt used id treat it as a game trail.

As to it being too sparse.... Cover is important but Many big bears have been shot in poplar stands. U just gotta hunt where big bears are available.

28-Oct-17
I`m with TSI!! I find a real thick area next to a creek and cut out my shooting lanes.

30-Oct-17

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
I love open spots 10/20 yards in size in the middle of thick cover as well.... it affords a little more available last light but they still feel comfortable coming in... Good luck

30-Oct-17

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear