Missouribreaks 05-Nov-17
Pigsticker 05-Nov-17
Missouribreaks 05-Nov-17
cubdrvr 05-Nov-17
APauls 06-Nov-17
fubar racin 06-Nov-17
TD 06-Nov-17
01-Nov-17
Had a warden with the WGFD shoot one last week as well that charged him while he was out hunting.

01-Nov-17
Ol Buck Dufis is full of all sorts of wisdom.

Sad day for those involved, hopefully something changes sooner rather than later.

01-Nov-17
So ol Buck Dufis are oat fields considered wilderness?

I feel for the two that were attacked. Hunting in grizz country definetly changes how I thought of things while there.

01-Nov-17
Once again...seems to be happening more here than in Alaska...where the bears are HUNTED regularly. Much higher population of Grizzly in Alaska. Seems like simple math to me.

01-Nov-17
What’s the first thing you learned watching The Wizard of Oz ? Yes, there are lions tigers and bears. It comes with the territory

01-Nov-17
Doofle - That is the exact opposite of what wilderness is. There is no wilderness in Missouri.

Wilderness or wildland is a natural environment on Earth that has not been significantly modified by human activity.

01-Nov-17
hope they recover fully.

01-Nov-17
Ignore the trolls looking to mitigate any fallout from yet another grizz attack. Have never posted here before about anything. Chose this one topic to join and start posting. Apparently the activists have found their way here. They have been trolling the CF for years now.

Hope for a full recovery, and a bear season for several reasons.... these events being just one....

01-Nov-17
Wow Buck Dufis you have some original content there. I haven’t heard that since I was like in 4th grade. If a tractor is in a wilderness area someone is in trouble. As far as the oat field comment. I had a friend hunt up by Cody a few years ago. He said he seen lots of Griz down in farmers oat fields. Plenty of Griz in Wyoming that reside outside wilderness areas.

01-Nov-17
He's back....

01-Nov-17
D U F I S

So that's how it's spelled.......always thought it was doofus. Guess you learn something new ever day !

01-Nov-17
TD, that's what I thought; major troll alert!

01-Nov-17
“Doofus” was already registered.

The irony is that the people who don’t think that these bears are being conditioned to respond to humans as a food source are selling these Majestic, Noble creatures short in the intelligence department. Hell, even ducks and geese Learn very quickly that we are zero threat to them when all we do is give them food. Compare and contrast with those mallards that will flare at 150 yards if you happen to glance up too early.

Funny thing about predators… The distinction between Food Source and Food Item and is just a little bit too subtle for them…

They are, however, pretty good at keeping track of who can kick their ass and who cannot…

01-Nov-17

Cheetah8799's Link

01-Nov-17

Cheetah8799's Link
This one has a little more info on the incident. Scary stuff.

01-Nov-17
There are definitely getting to be a lot more grizzly encounters. More people hunting in grizzly country, and a lot more bears than there used to be. I think that a hunting season would help. Maybe it would teach them to fear humans a little more, if not, at least it would lead to the death of the ones that don't.

01-Nov-17
I was about to add that the thing that the antis don’t seem to understand is that whenever a bear mauls a human, it ends worse for the bear. But it sounds like in this case, maybe not! That’s just crazy…

Now, apparently… There’s a bear out there that knows that gunshots lead to Elk carcasses that are only lightly defended.

01-Nov-17
Doofle, you are amazing! I thought only unicorns and flying monkeys lived in Death Valley. How wrong I was.

Sincere thanks for joining the Bowsite and please don't post anything to get kicked-off. You Bowsite worth the monthly subscription price!

01-Nov-17
Wow!!!!

01-Nov-17
That was one of the funniest posts I read in a long time.

Damn near fell out of my tree stand

01-Nov-17
We have a new or is it the same old TBM? not sure look forward to finding out though!

01-Nov-17
cnelk, My thoughts exactly. Should be entertaining.

01-Nov-17
My question is did you clean off your knife before you when back to gutting your moose?

01-Nov-17
The ol sow was probably menstruating.

Or if not that, having a hot flash.

01-Nov-17
Oh, my mistake. I missed THAT "death valley" since it isn't on any map anywhere. Post up a photo of that moose for us!

01-Nov-17
BTW, TBM,...err..."doofle", your new internet persona is interesting! Much better than when you pretended to be your kid..

01-Nov-17
And he’s even gonna play along....

Priceless!

01-Nov-17
Can’t be TBM. Dufuss’es spelling is pretty good.

01-Nov-17
Come on the real story ...ya licked dar knife plum clean and dun run after that baer for another dip

01-Nov-17
Did ua dun kilt off all dem bama terks all on ur own already dis yer hahaha

01-Nov-17
Haha. Those TBM days were the best of the worst. You just couldn’t look away even though you wanted to.

02-Nov-17
How does one track posters? I really don't want too miss his pearls of wisdom ;0

02-Nov-17
You guys do not understand, the top predators of all kinds are being protected to replace the need for you, the human hunter. They know no boundaries, can kill prey anywhere they choose, 365 days per year.

The Anti's and many of today's very liberal game managers have a well thought out and long term plan.

02-Nov-17
Hmmmmm.... all of the F&G Managers-in-training that I went to school with are probably too busy hunting and fishing with their kids to have any time for plotting against the future of hunting & fishing.

I’m not that worried about apex predators. They move into settled areas and the novelty wears off as soon as a pet goes missing or they read a news article about a kid that got bitten.

If you REALLY want to protect the future of hunting, it’s going to cost you, because what is needed is to buy up the private land that needs to be crossed to gain access to the public land behind it. Else, it will continue to be sold to people who will be all too happy to close down those gateways so that they can protect that public land for their own benefit (whether hunting it themselves or charging access fees) or because they don’t hunt and don’t think anyone else should, either.

And the only way to buy up all of that land is through groups like FNAWS and RMEF and Backcountry, or find one that doesn’t make you more nervous than a Russian robber-baron or a Hollywood type or Ted Turner, or whatever. Nobody's perfect maybe, but if you take the time to get past the bullschitt conspiracy theories - all of which directly benefit the Antis by persuading hunters, fishermen and other public land users to withhold $$$$ from groups whose actions directly benefit hunters, fishermen and other public land users...

A True Friend may be hard to come by, but Significant Adversaries abound.

02-Nov-17
Buying up land for access is a good process, takes lots of money as access problems abound in all fifty states. Hunters should all reach deep and support the above mentioned groups, I agree with that. Why is that not already happening in a big way, some of these groups have been around for decades? I would also suggest hunters do not support Liberal politicians or groups.

02-Nov-17
"You guys do not understand, the top predators of all kinds are being protected to replace the need for you, the human hunter. They know no boundaries, can kill prey anywhere they choose, 365 days per year. The Anti's and many of today's very liberal game managers have a well thought out and long term plan."

BINGO Missouri! I've said the same for years. There is a reason it is ONLY predators being pushed for reintroduction/introduction. For example bison used to roam everywhere and they are every bit as majestic and iconic as a griz, but groups aren't pushing to get them reintroduced...

02-Nov-17
They are adding bison in Montana, but only for predator food for when the wolf expands it's already presence into the CMR refuge and surrounding areas..... which will become a National Park.

02-Nov-17
Smarba -

You have a point.... to a degree. But...

Whitetails were nearly wiped out. Deer hunters brought them back.

Elk were nearly wiped out. Elk hunters are bringing them back.

Turkeys.

Geese.

Waterfowl of all kinds.

Hunters are one of the first and most successful kinds of Special Interest Groups, EVER.

Black bears and coyotes are doing just fine on their own. Lions, too.

Now, as I said... you have a point, but only up to a point. Where the wolves and Griz have come back, the Hunting has become more difficult than it used to be (though to what extent depends on who you talk to). But I’m not aware of any areas where tags have become less available because the deer & Elk herds are below target levels (I trust I will be corrected on that, which is fine).

But give a little credit; wolves and Griz have always lived in the mountainous wilderness areas where they are found now - on millions of acres of public land. Not all Hunters & ranchers & outfitters WANT them, but there IS a place for them, both ecologically and geographically.

Bison are a Plains species, and almost all of their native range is now privately owned.

So where do you propose to put them?

And how are you going to address the Brucellosis issue?

I’ve often daydreamed about if I were to win the big lottery, and have thought how cool it would be to help move millions of acres into the National Grasslands program and re-stock the bison throughout the NE panhandle and eastern WY/MT and the western Dakotas.... Not sure how many of the local ranchers would be happy to talk to me about that, though I’m sure there are enough of them who’d like to give me a piece of their mind on the issue.... and I'd likely agree with their POV on a lot of it.

So believe it or not, I think you’re wrong that there aren’t any groups that are INTERESTED in bringing back the bison; I think they’re just allocating their resources to battles that they can hope to win, given the resources available to them.

02-Nov-17
""But I’m not aware of any areas where tags have become less available because the deer & Elk herds are below target levels (I trust I will be corrected on that, which is fine).""

correction #1. Idaho has dropped off available tags in numerous areas. F&G biologists identify areas that the predator base (wolves mainly) is too high and hurting calf recruitment in a bad way.

Next.........

02-Nov-17
GF: I'm talking about the types of groups that push for woves & griz. I certainly realize that bison have its share of issues (most notably that they'd walk through fences and highway barriers willy nilly). My point was that there are PLENTY of reasons against wolves & griz, but the hugger groups ignore them. If they truly were interesed in wildlife they'd be just as eager to push for elk, bison, whitetail, turkey, etc. But they only push for predators. Get the picture?

Hunter/sportstman groups are the original and only true conservationists. Proven wildly successful with a myriad of species, which trickle down to other species too. But wolves and griz are intended to compete with us hunters pure and simple.

02-Nov-17
Bullhound - thanks for the info.

It’s probably actually good news and away, because reducing tags is going to cut into state revenue, and that always seems to get the lawmakers’ attention. Add in the guide/outfitter lobby, and you should be on your way to getting some meaningful regulation put in place on those bigger predators. Which is exactly what’s needed, IMO; Once the population his sustainable, they can and should and need to be managed just like everything else.

But Smarba - Dude, seriously? There’s not one state in the country that would accept a whitetail if you shipped it FedEx. Turkeys have come back gangbusters. Elk may be taking a bit longer, but they require more land than is available in most states.

Hunters have acted in their own interests for so long that there is no need to reintroduce ANYTHING, except a few completely impractical species.

Predators DO belong out there; THAT is not a problem. But like children, if you’re overprotective of them, they tend to run amok and bad behavior ensues.

I guess that’s one more plus for Bowhunting; at least we’re not ringing a 150 dB dinnerbell!

But FWIW - anybody who drops an Elk (or anything else) while in Griz country and does NOT keep a suitable bear deterrent RIGHT CLOSE AT HAND is asking for an insane amount of trouble. If you can’t post a sentry, you ought to consider working so that you can keep checking down-wind. I’d rather be a live paranoiac than a dead Tough Guy, any day!

03-Nov-17
All that elk recovery did not happen by chance. The majority recovery by magnitudes happened with essentially no wolves and far fewer grizz. The grizz have an effect..... mostly in the spring, but not to much in winter when herds are stressed. Wolves OTOH......

How would those programs have worked with a strong wolf population? Just look to how those populations are recovering right now with a strong wolf presence. People worked hard to reduce them to a negligible population. They haven't been necessary to good wildlife management in a 100 years. But NOW we have them. A pretty uncontrollable x factor WRT management. And completely unnecessary.

They were introduced for a reason, a very political one IMO and many pushing for it were hard core anti's. Then population goals were met and the fight to not allow management was from hard core anti hunters. And they plainly stated the goal of non-human wildlife management. Man being some interloper.... outsider and HE is no longer a welcome part of the world.

To ignore that very strong element with clearly stated goals is to purposely ignore it.

03-Nov-17
https://www.americanprairie.org

This is happening in north central Montana. Many people have a deep suspicion of their ultimate goals, myself included. I believe the Missouri Breaks will be off limits to hunting in my lifetime. They’re picking off ranches at a steady pace.

03-Nov-17
You guys are missing maybe one of the strongest factors promoting predator reintroduction-auto insurance companies. They have some serious pull and the do not like paying for wildlife related auto accidents.

03-Nov-17
I guess I'm not making myself clear. Obviously there is no longer a need for introduction of whitetail, elk, turkey, etc. BECAUSE IT'S ALREADY BEEN SUCCESSFULLY DONE BY HUNTING/CONSERVATION GROUPS. The Hugger groups have contributed nearly zero to this effort.

I have no problems with predators. I was born & raised in Alaska where there are plenty of wolves, griz, black bear. But there for the most part those species are managed just like other game species.

The hugger groups almost universally ONLY push for predators (wolf & griz). They aren't interested in any other animals. Why? I submit that it's because they want us hunters out of the picture and want "nature" to balance itself.

As TD points out, it's the antis/huggers that continually fight against management of these predator species. They don't want them managed. They want as many predators as possible so that there is no role for hunters.

03-Nov-17
"She actually for a minute paused and acted like she liked it"

wow .... just ... wow ....

03-Nov-17
Ditto Stealthy.

03-Nov-17
Horrible situation indeed, I hope all recover asap. On a side note.....you guys are cracking me up as I sit in my stand reading this thread. Seriously---who gets attacked by a grizz-and just casually proceeds to keep on breaking down their kill?? I didn't know Rambo hunted?!

03-Nov-17
Wasn’t John Rambo, but more like Chuck Dofis.

03-Nov-17
This thread has gotten off track. We still need to know what he did with his knife afterwards and we need to see a picture of his moose.

04-Nov-17
Pretty sure Steve Grace - aka TBM - aka "Doofle" never hunted moose.

05-Nov-17
Yes, much of the Missouri Breaks will be off limits to hunting when newly acquired ranch hunting and grazing terms expire, they are short term. The plan is to get ranchers out to minimize social impact, then Federal, State and acquired lands will be rolled into a National park. Hard to believe so many hunters support this. Here come the bison, then wolves and bears to manage the elk herd, human hunters will not be needed. Private ranches are selling out to park organizers at a steady rate. I don't blame them as one has to go where the best offer is. Many hunting groups had ample time to purchase Two Crow, it is now open to hunting for a short period then it will be restored as part of the park foundation.

05-Nov-17
Missouribreaks-could you please post a link with more details? I’d like to read more.

05-Nov-17
There is no link, you have to attend the public meetings with environmental leaders in various communities.

05-Nov-17
Missouribreaks, if these are public meetings there will be newspaper coverage of them, especially considering the controversy. In what towns were these meetings held, and when?

I'd really like to read the local newspaper perspectives on them.

05-Nov-17
Billings Gazette had Two Crow article, much has been written about bison reintroduction, simple search on that and Prairie Foundation around Chouteau will provide information. Pay VERY close attention to when hunting and grazing expires when private ranches are purchased. Small towns here, like Grass Range, Roy, and Jordon do not have newspapers to cover the public meetings. You will know the mission within 20 years, is work in progress. Hunters better wise up, it is coming! Do your own homework !

05-Nov-17

cubdrvr's Link
I’ll try again.

05-Nov-17
About 30 years ago a husband/wife team (professors of some type) came to Jordan Montana and did a presentation on the ‘Big Open’; essentially an idea to put the land back to status before settlement. In other words, buy out or seize land, take out fences, stock dams etc.. They were not received warmly and people here said it was just a dream, never happen. My response was, “ they’re not talking about this happening overnight but over generations” and at that time I was thinking 50-150 years. But I was wrong as it’s happening amazingly fast. Much of the deeded land on the north side of Fort Peck Lake adjoining the CMR is now owned by prairie preserve. Agriculture in this part of the world does not have the brightest future. How can one pay 3-4 million dollars for enough land to run 250 head of cows and make that pencil? They will win by attrition if nothing else.

05-Nov-17

elkmtngear's Link
Another encounter in the news Today...a bird hunter this time!

05-Nov-17
Cubdrvr, that was the Poppers from Princeton with their "Buffalo Commons" concept based upon the depopulation of the Great Plains. People laughed then.

Now, as you point out, that depopulation is happening all over the Midwest and rural west by attrition. Estate taxes, uncertainty of ranching, the hard work, and the lure of the cities for young people all play a part.

That, combined with the projected massive decrease in hunters over the next 20 years will result in a rural landscape that is very different from what it is today.

Still, I'd rather see these big ranches wholly preserved in some way vs. chopping them into ranchettes.

05-Nov-17
What's a bird hunter in Wy carry? #6s? #4? Killed her by a shot to the face. She was close.

05-Nov-17
I agree, preserving large ranches is in the best interest of the land and wildlife. I am not saying the Prairie Reserve and eventual new park establishment is a bad thing overall, but it is comical how hunters deny it is happening when it is right before their very eyes. And worse yet, they believe they will be able to continue hunting this region, not at all going to happen. Wolves are beginning to show their sign in 410, they will be doing your elk and bison management. Ferrets getting established right now will be on the prairie dogs. Please do not disturb ferrets, road closed!

05-Nov-17
Wolves may be PETAS’s best friend.

05-Nov-17
All predators whether they walk, swim, climb or fly are favorites of the anti groups. Why, because raptors, killer whales, cougars, bears and wolves replace the need for you, the human hunter. The Anti's plan is very simple and brilliant. The hunters plan, not coordinated and not so brilliant. We are losing and will lose.

05-Nov-17
Lou, thank you! I should have done more research before posting. I wasn’t living here at the time so didn’t get to hear them first hand.

Yes rich people buying the land to manage it for themselves helps none, especially the wildlife.

Yep hunting has changed so much in my 61 yrs. and I don’t see that changing in the future.

To make this a little more relevant to the original topic, I believe Lewis and Clark encountered grizzly bears in much of the plains and those that want the American West restored will push for their restoration in those places.

06-Nov-17
Oh man TBM in the flesh. He did have two personas. One could spell and one couldn't. I guess we know who came back. 3rd time is the charm?

06-Nov-17
I gotta say at least his screen name is more fitting this time.....

06-Nov-17
Elkmtngear, that should lay to rest using shotguns for personal defense. We've killed good size pigs with head shots and #7.5 while bird hunting. At 3 feet it just makes one big nasty hole..... 30 ft with #7.5 it's a different matter.....

• Sitka Gear