Arrowsmith 07-Nov-17
Arrowsmith 07-Nov-17
Arrowsmith 07-Nov-17
pogo 07-Nov-17
07-Nov-17
5:42 AM LIVE from NY*

Arrowsmith's MOBILE embedded Photo
Arrowsmith's MOBILE embedded Photo

Day off work, check. Coffee ready, check. It's only 15 min walk to thicket stand so I decided to use this time to start live hunt. Once again I'm in western NY chasing a big 10pt that has been spotted twice. Temp is 35deg and weather bug is saying calm conditions. More to follow from the stand...

07-Nov-17
Made it to stand quickly and quietly thanks to soggy footpath from all the rain. Pack is stowed, bow, calls and horns are hanging ready. Sitting in only semi darkness due to the darn moon phase. Turkeys are roosted well below me on Hillside somewhere. Every now and then one yelps. The wait for sunrise begins...

07-Nov-17
6:30 am. Sunrise is 6:53 this morning. I can clearly see to shoot. We really need to petition for same start time as waterfowl hunters. The guns started going off on the swamps several minutes ago. Plenty light for archery hunting. 23 min to go...

07-Nov-17
You can't shoot until sunrise?

07-Nov-17
That's ridiculous...

I hope you cross paths with the Big Ten. Good luck!

07-Nov-17

Arrowsmith's embedded Photo
6:50. Almost time. Full on light and jays, crow, and chicadees are really vocal now. I just heard the nrighbors car roll slowly over the gravel rd 300 yds behind me. He turned hs cabin into his home and makes the almost 75 min commute to the city to work. I envy him for living here, but could never bring my self to follow suit. A coyote is yapping in the river valley a quarter mile beliw5. Post got long, legal is here 6:53, gotta go for now...

07-Nov-17
Good luck!

07-Nov-17

Almost An Hour For First Doe To Show up. Fed through at 35 yds.

07-Nov-17

Another came from behind my stand downwind. Didn't spook, but didn't stay long. Young deer. First snowflakes I've seen this season now starting.

07-Nov-17

Kinda quiet so I rattled the horns lightly and grunted 3 times softly. A loud crack is heard from across the small creek to my right and thirty seconds later this spike appears and uses the same trail the doe did at 35 yds.

07-Nov-17

He hung around for a few minutes looking for the source of sounds and eventually worked his way down to my left. Deer went toward green cover on ground at top edge of photo. Jays and squirrels making a ruckus behind me now. Talk soon...

07-Nov-17

Two more does just went by heading into wind. They were in thicket 35 yds left. Photo is looking left into thicket.

07-Nov-17

Getting ready to hit the horns again. I use a psir of 4 and 5 point sheds I picked up on a ranch in northern Montana while sharptail grouse hunting. They are some of only a very few I've found. I never really became a shed hunter.

07-Nov-17
Where in NY i m outhereto near bath

07-Nov-17
Must be nice to see so many deer. WNY is a great place to hunt it appears.

07-Nov-17

No response to the horns this go around. Snow is picking up which is kind of strange given the 38 deg. temp. Almost time for a cup of Java! I know of no quicker way to make game appear than to become preoccupied with something. Almost works every time. Top o the morning to ya!

07-Nov-17
I'm between Caneadea and Fillmore,NY. Still snowing, albeit small flskes which are just sticking to the tops of branches. Really quiet still. Not even the normal squirrels n chipmunks. Just the squawking jays and far off road noise from Rt 19 a few miles away. Wind just shifted badly from S west to N east.

07-Nov-17

This was 8 pt
This was 8 pt
Just had 3 bucks quartering to me at 60 yds. All working slowly this way when Town road crew decided to take smoke break on roadside 300 yds away. Bye bye bucks. Decent ear width eight, fork and same spike. 5 hrs in and no Mr. Big yet. Time for coffee again .

07-Nov-17
Had climbed down after bucks spooked to stretch legs and grab a bowl of soup. Neighbor came down to cabin and visited for an hour. Headed back to stand now.

07-Nov-17

Bedded doe on right side of trail. 20 yd shot Scrapes are hit!
Bedded doe on right side of trail. 20 yd shot Scrapes are hit!
May have made huge mistake by taking break. Fresh rub on trail on way in, and scrapes on access trail are freshened. On a positive note the wind is better, and it allowed me to sneak up on bedded doe.

07-Nov-17

20 yds to bedded doe
20 yds to bedded doe

07-Nov-17

Tipped bleat can twice and fork horn came in.

07-Nov-17
Quiet again. Got into some left over Halloween candy and picked the woods apart with 10x glass before standing and stretching. 2 does passed by while I was standing. They were 100 yds below me and never stopped walking. There is an uncut cornfield the direction in which they were headed. Getting to be prime time.

07-Nov-17
Going to put phone away for now. Deer generally don't stop when moving through here this time of day. Will fill you in at dark.

07-Nov-17

The last deer of the day makes its way toward me.
The last deer of the day makes its way toward me.
5:40 back at the cabin. 1 additional Doe came in right at the end of legal shooting time. Packing up to head home for a few days of work, and then back out Thursday night for a long weekend to try to seal the deal on this big ten point. I would have shot the nice 8-point that came in just before noon today, if he would have presented a shot. He was probably 16 in wide and 7 or 8 inches tall on the back points. All in all a pretty good day.

07-Nov-17
Good hunt

• Sitka Gear