Dthfrmabove 08-Nov-17
Will 08-Nov-17
spike78 08-Nov-17
ryanrc 08-Nov-17
brokenarrow 08-Nov-17
mrw 08-Nov-17
08-Nov-17
5:38 AM LIVE from Ma*
well i just settled in 20 ft today. ugggg i had a white knuckle moment today. just after i hooked my harness in i went to step over my seat and slip had my first harness hang smackedmy face to the tree and swinging. i dont know how but my feet still had the stirrups to thebottom half of my climber so after gathering myself i climbedback up and got settled. never again will i climb awet hardbarked tree. i could be dead on theground right now. we are at themercy of our decisions out here so i hope someoneelse can also learn from my almost fatal mistake.

08-Nov-17
Be safe. Change the tree now. Think family first.

08-Nov-17
i know i should move and never go up this tree again but i was already at height and thought it would be safer to climb down when its light after i hunt it. im definatlynot to comfortable climbing down now either way. i might drop the climber andbear hug down

08-Nov-17
Be careful brokenarrow.... glad it worked out for you this morning... I avoid maples when it is wet and/or cold. If the teeth can't bite the tree easily... not worth the risk...take care out there...

08-Nov-17
thanks guys im definatly a little shook

08-Nov-17
Goodluck. Glad your ok. I shy away from smooth barked hardwood trees when they are wet. I slid 6ft down a beech tree years ago. Climber wouldnt grab. Scarey stuff. Shoot straight.

08-Nov-17
Glad you're ok. Be safe and plan the trip down the tree and keep that harness tight while climbing down!!!

08-Nov-17
Ditto everyone. Stick to oaks, white pines, hemlocks (if you find a climbable one) as much as possible... good grippy bark. Small steps on the way down and you will be ok.

08-Nov-17
Yup those trees freak me out!

08-Nov-17
Attach the rope of your harness to the tree before you go up. Just keep sliding the ripe up the tree as you climb. Slide it down the tree on the way down. That way you are never not connected to the tree and harness. You should not be going up or down without being connected!

08-Nov-17
well im back out in my fixed stand swamp spot in z9. I did get down safely earlier with only bumps and bruises. my muddy harness is my new best friend it may have saved my life.

08-Nov-17
Awesome, so you paid your dues this morning and you're going to tell us about this 12 point that wanted a ride in your truck!

Go get 'em!

• Sitka Gear