rattling_junkie 10-Nov-17
Brian M. 10-Nov-17
Muskrat 10-Nov-17
APauls 10-Nov-17
M.Pauls 10-Nov-17
09-Nov-17

Bear Track's embedded Photo
Last week was the worst of the worst for me in the beginning of the week. Jeannine and I came home from our cabin and there was nothing special about it except we closed the place for the winter. When we got home we had a fish fry and settled into the evening. Our dog Sewch, as many of you have met up at our Bear Track Outfitters camp, did not have a restful night. In the morning my initial thoughts were to be my nightmare. Sewch was 13 1/2 years old and had a great life, but for a lab, that's pretty much the span they get. He never was sick a day in his life, but I could see issues developing. Sewch flew the north with me and was my constant companion. He was my heartbeat and my breath. Wet eyed even typing this. Sewch's urn came home yesterday and Jeannine and I cannot bear to take it out of the box yet.

09-Nov-17
Oh man i feel for ya. I have tears in my eyes typing this. Ya know what helps. A new dog, eventually.

09-Nov-17

standswittaknife's embedded Photo
standswittaknife's embedded Photo
Been there and it’s not fun at all. After three years without my first lab who died at 11, I got this jughead and she’s amazing. Losing dogs is awful.. A life without them is unthinkable..

09-Nov-17
Sorry about your loss. I still miss my dog that died last year. He went through so much with me. I have another dog now and it helps a ton. Nothing replaces the one you lost but a dogless house is depressing.

09-Nov-17

We said good by to our "baby". This was his nickname and as much one of our own as they get. Only a dog owner knows of what I speak, the feeling of loss.

But hang on, there is a Bowsite story here.

09-Nov-17
Ron & Jeannine, so sorry to hear about Sewch. I always enjoyed his friendly & gentle company when up at your bear camp. He was a good dog and had a long and adventurous life. Sorry for your loss.

09-Nov-17
Thanks Andy. I actually have a couple things of yours here by the way.

09-Nov-17
After 3 days of grieving and locking myself up in the house, I could see this was not healthy and I needed to get out and get some air and refresh my thoughts. I nearly made it to a ground blind minutes form home and I had to pull over for a cry. This bushman was having a hard time. I had 2 hours to hunt and grabbed my stuff and marched to my spot.

09-Nov-17
Iknow precisely the pain you feel and you have my sympathy. Had to let one of my life's greatest friends go 19 months ago and I still find myself looking for her still. We then adopted a rescue dog and we were her 3rd family to attempt to give her a home. Could tell right away there was at least some abusive treatment of her in the past. Took a entire year of TLC but she has really come around. When you have the type of relationship I have had with my last two dogs, one a huge fawn and sliver tip German Shepard and then a mix breed Jack Russell, you realize in life you will be VERY fortunate to have people in your life that are as loyal, devoted, trustworthy and forgiving as dog is. When ever dogs are talked about I like to tell one of my favorite jokes to those I know have not heard it before: What is the difference between your wife and your dog one might ask? Simple, take both and put them in the trunk of your car and drive 3-4 miles down and old bumpy, dusty gravel road and get out and open the trunk. You can bet your LIFE your dog will be still glad to see you.

My unsolicited advice is as soon as you feel you are ready get another dog. I swore up and down for the last 5 years of my beloved Sheba she was my "LAST" dog period, as loosing them hurts to much as I get WAAAAAY to attached to my dogs. But less than a few months and a series of events landed Molly in our laps and for lack of a better term I would describe it as providence that Molly ended up with us. She has gone a long way to help heal the mile wide hole in my families hearts. It's shrunk to about only about 100 yards wide for me.

09-Nov-17

lewis's embedded Photo
lewis's embedded Photo
Know the feeling we lost our Gunner last September after almost 12 years still hurts sorry for your loss Lewis

09-Nov-17
Tears always come out on posts like this. Put my lab down earlier this summer. They always leave a huge void in your life when they go. My heartfelt condolences.

09-Nov-17
Sorry about your best friend. I am still trying to cope after losing mine of 13 years in September.

Capone was 120 lb American Bulldog that always thought he was a lapdog. I knew he wouldn’t last forever but I just wasn’t ready to say good bye. He came to say good bye literally hours before he died. I can’t count how many times I have cried over it.

I wanted to be close to him and ended up burying him up next to the house. I often talk to him when I walk past his spot.

Again sorry your loss. I imagine I would like another dog someday just not yet.

09-Nov-17
So I'm sitting watching deer go by once in a while and a deer I've seen only on camera shows himself. I nearly come unglued. I try to put my release on my D loop and it's not happening, no way. I have to take off my mitt and use 2 hands. This is not happening and as see him walk away. Good thing cause I sure would like to have even drawn on him.

Then holy heck, he turns around and comes back. My eyes are watering (my buck fever sign) and I cannot see my pin when I draw back. I do know that my peep sight perfectly covers the ring around my pin and I line everything up and touch the trigger. I hear a crack when it hits and I get the uncontrollable shakes. I don't remember getting out of my stand, but I'm dry heaving while I'm trying to call my friend then Jeannine. I'm absolutely going to be ill, I just am, but I keep walking to my truck for lights to follow up and most importantly, get away from the forest for a bit.

I gather myself up somewhat and head back. I find my arrow with blood on it but not a lot. Never a concern for me after being on over 1,000 blood trailing jobs, There is no blood but I do find a sliver of flesh, so I am on the right track in the snow. Then heck, a brownish blob laying right on the deer trail I'm following only 50 yards from where I shot this deer. Very odd he's got his legs under him, I think. So with my light on him and I'm 6 feet from it, shadows from my light give it the eary look as if the ears are trembling....... Holy $hit they are!

09-Nov-17
Pics!!

09-Nov-17

So here I am, no bow (Why would I ever need one? Ha!) and I'm trying to back out of there quietly wearing gortex. Not happening. I quick sneak back to my bow and retrieve he arrow I shot the deer with, and stealthly sneak up to him. He seems to have moved 6" and I fire the arrow forward into his body. Nothing. Nada. I did all this for nothing until he starts with some kicking then with diaphragm trying it's best, I get dowsed is a red spray. I put my hand on him to feel his soul as it ends.

At a loss for words, lots to say and no one to say them to about sums it up for my moment. This is my first picture of him.

09-Nov-17
Good dog right there, will be missed by all that spent time with him. Sorry for your loss.

09-Nov-17

Eventually my friend shows to take a few pictures and I look to the stars above, thinking my Sewch had something to do with this evening's hunt.

09-Nov-17

No to be picture heavy but everybody likes to see big deer even if my mug is in the shot.

09-Nov-17
Holy Moly Rocky!! What a beast! Congrats!

09-Nov-17
Pics!!

09-Nov-17
Life is good!

09-Nov-17
Congratulations Ron... what a brute with lots of character. Great buck!!!!!

Ol' Sewch was looking down on you for sure. He's probably up in Heaven right now rolling around in something stinky!

09-Nov-17
Bittersweet sorry for the loss of you Best bud Sewch but congratulations on an absolute hammer of a buck well done!

09-Nov-17
What a buck !!!! Now go get a puppy !!!

09-Nov-17
That`s a whopper...that`s every bowhunters dream right there.

09-Nov-17
Good stuff, Ron! Sorry again about Sewch. Congratulations on a fine buck!

09-Nov-17
Thats a beast

09-Nov-17
Congrats on the deer. Its a shame dogs can't be with us longer. I have buried my share and they leave an empty spot for sure.

09-Nov-17

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
I lost my best friend 3 days before uncle sam said I had to go, just last month... She had been with me for over ten years, through thick and thin... The only thing I could count on for most of that. Never in my life have I felt so sad...

Sorry about your loss, congrats on the buck...

09-Nov-17
Man, I'm hurting for you. Thee is nothing that will replace a good dog. NOTHNG.

I've got a 10.5 year old black lab. He is greying around the muzzle and the top of his feet. I've owned a lot of dogs but, none compare to this one. His name is Buck. I call him Buck, Buckaroo, Ole Man, and Buddy. He was a gift from God and I seriously do not know how I'm going to handle his passing when it comes. He is my shadow. We eat together. He sleeps with me. Heck, We do everything together. He is perfectly mannered and, I have never met a person who didn't love him. Iron clad discipline too. As gentle as a teddy bear with everyone too. My goodness I love that dog.

I feel your pain man. I just pray its a long time before I have to relate to it

09-Nov-17
What a buck!

09-Nov-17
I feel for you brother.....my dogs are my life.... my friend ,you believe this..I m sorry for your huge loss...Pat

09-Nov-17
It's all I can do to leave my JRT home when I go hunting. He wants to be with me all the time. If I leave him in the camphouse, he's scratching at the door. I love him and he loves me. My condolences to your family Ron, as only dog lovers understand.

10-Nov-17
I've been there...several times.....almost nothing suckier. Only fix for me has been a puppy.

Great buck! Sewch would approve and be interested only in the special treats from the gut pile. He would care less that his dad just killed a booner!!!

10-Nov-17

Horn Donkey's embedded Photo
From 6 Weeks to 13 years. There's mighty strength in knowing that unconditional love is just a whistle away.
From 6 Weeks to 13 years. There's mighty strength in knowing that unconditional love is just a whistle away.

10-Nov-17

After I put Rebel down, my wife started showing me rescue dogs on Facebook every day. I just slumped my shoulders, shook my head, and said "You ain't gonna replace Reb." 3 Months after Reb passed, she showed me Finn. A white angel to heal me from missing my black lab.

Fantastic buck brother! Congratulations.

10-Nov-17
Congrats Ron!

10-Nov-17
I still tear up thinking of my black lab Pheonix. She has been gone for 14 years or so. You know from the get-go that the little fur ball you bring home, will become your best friend and companion, both in the house and in the field, and that same best friend will break your heart every time. Sorry for your loss.

Gorgeous Buck, congratulations.

10-Nov-17
Beautiful buck. I haven't seen one like that in North Florida yet and know that I never will. Sorry about the loss of your dog. I have two favorites I lost over 25 years ago and still cherish the memories of them.

10-Nov-17
What a buck! Congrats Ron

10-Nov-17
Congrats on the buck, deer of a lifetime!

• Sitka Gear