Contributors to this thread:
PECO 10-Nov-17
SixLomaz 10-Nov-17
wyobullshooter 10-Nov-17
thedude 10-Nov-17
cnelk 10-Nov-17
kscowboy 10-Nov-17
10-Nov-17
I'm looking for a recommendation on a range finder that meets these criteria. First, be able to range out to 1,000 yards. Not one that claims to have the range, but actually works well out to 800+ yards. Next, lighted readout a must. Last, angle compensation if that is even possible at those yardages. I already have 2 very good range finders out to about 400, but I want to be able to range farther. I also looking for models that you have field tested, not looking for manufactures spec sheet. Thanks!

10-Nov-17
Buy a Leupold 1200 RXI I believe. You will not regret it.

10-Nov-17
Extremely happy with my Vortex Ranger 1500.

10-Nov-17
vortex 1500 I can get consistent readings on moose at 500-600 yards under almost any situation. Sometimes if they are wide open i can consistently range them out to 800. The longest range I have ever got a reply on was a little over 1200 yards on a white radio tower service building, but thats not the norm. Id give it a 800 yard capability under normal field conditions. It works great for bowhunting and its adequate for the distances I shoot with a rifle.

10-Nov-17
The biggest issue with having the range finder work at great distances is the person using it. If it cant be held still/steady, it aint gonna work very well.

Using a unit that is considered a '1500' and to reach extended ranges, I would use a tripod or bipod [which your gun probably has to shoot those distances]

10-Nov-17
We've had both the Vortex and now have Sig Kilos. We like the Kilos better. A friend of ours who does a lot of 1,000 shooting competitions is our go-to for what to get. The best is the Gun Werks but at over $1,000, that ain't happening. Bang for your buck is now the Sig Kilo.

I had an elk spotted for my dad and he was hiking up to me to get a better look at the bull. He dropped his Vortex on the hike up and hopefully I'll find it in a couple of weeks when going back to my favorite vantage point. Long story short, it was Black Friday and Cabela's had a sale. We both ordered Sig Kilos from the side of the mountain waiting on this bull to stand for the shot. He did and I had to be the good son and pack the SOB off the mountain--but I did get a new rangefinder for Christmas!

I used the Sig in a lot of 3D shoots this summer and it is good to go for archery.

• Sitka Gear