Hoytobsessed23 11-Nov-17
Franklin 11-Nov-17
Sidekick 11-Nov-17
craig@work 12-Nov-17
Ben 12-Nov-17
jkirkus 12-Nov-17
craig@work 12-Nov-17
11-Nov-17
I had to start taking a beta blocker this year to treat essential tremors and it has worked amazingly well. I did notice my hands and feet were a little colder especially at work but the last 2 days of hunting with weather in the teens has been literally painful. I wear those thin jersey gloves and have a hand warmer/muff but it's still terrible. I don't really want to switch gloves because I shoot well with a thin glove versus a heavy one. Any suggestions for another thin style glove? I don't want to stop the medicine as it's working well other than this. And my toes are terrible too! Even with two pairs of socks. Suggestions appreciated.

11-Nov-17
I have had good results from wearing silk liner gloves. I buy them from a company named WinterSilks. The liners come in black, brown and off white colors.

11-Nov-17
I worked roofing /siding forever and need the dexterity from thin gloves..try fingerless wool or alpaca gloves over the thin ones..in between them i put those hand warmers ,if its really cold i put an additional hand warmer on the bottom of my wrist held in place with an elastic..i learned that one from the power line guys..on my feet a thin then thick pair of socks with foot warmer in between..if my feet are still cold ill slip a hand warmer in later....

Try keeping your core warm too..i put ssticky warmers on my neck,kidneys everywhere i can..it all helps and im usually good for all day

11-Nov-17
The betablockers will improve your shooting especially if you have a little TP

11-Nov-17
Electric socks or inserts for feet. I suggest chemical hand warmers.

11-Nov-17
Don't give up on the hand muff/hand warmer option. I do exactly as you describe and have not looked back. Thin jersey gloves and hand muff. The key I have found is in the hand warmer. Use the Body Size warmers that last for 18 hours. On really cold days (-10 and less) I use four warmers. Two for each hand. One in my hand and the other on the back of my hand. I buy boxes of them on clearance every spring and get them very cheap. I use the Ice Breaker brand hand muff and it has served me well. I will not go back to insulated gloves. TODDY

11-Nov-17
I have been taking Beta blockers (Inderal and it's generic) for forty years. I haven't experienced the cold extremities that you are talking about. I fact my wife complains all the time because I don't require the warmer temperatures she does. I don't even wear jackets when others do. Are you sure the Beta blockers are causing the problem. In fact I cut off half a thumb fifteen plus years ago and don't have trouble keeping the stub warm either. Now four years ago I severely cut the tip of the middle finger of my shooting hand and just taped it up instead of getting medical attention. It gets cold if I don't keep that hand in a pocket or if it is colder than 25* when hunting. I have to throw a hand warmer in the pocket and then even it has no problem staying warm.

11-Nov-17
For your feet look at boots made by Rocky. I bought a pair and my feet will be sweating even when the temps are in the teens and I have been sitting for hours!

11-Nov-17
I can`t imagine a muff and hand warmers not getting it done....are you on any blood thinners also?

11-Nov-17
My hands got a serious frostbite when I was a kid & I need to wear gloves at 40 degrees. I use rag wool glovemits and have hand warmers in my jacket pockets. I cut a hole in the palm for my Fletchunter release with the wrist strap inside the mitt. This keeps my anchor & draw consistent all year.

12-Nov-17
To answer some of the above I'm on no other medications and this year is the first time if had this issue. Only been on the inderal since February. Like I said this is only for an essential tremor as I am healthy otherwise(run 5ks, insanity, etc). From my medical experience(ED RN) I know enough to be dangerous... ?? Seriously tho I like the body hand warmer idea. And I may need some new boots. I have no issues until about 30 and lower.

12-Nov-17
Craig, Just curious of your dosage. I take 60mg twice a day. Mine is to control palpitations due to a Mitral valve. My feet used to get cold but, I quit wearing insulated boots as my feet got colder with them. I make sure when buying boots that I have room to move my toes and wear one pair of medium weight merino wool , calf high socks. When I get settled in the stand ( temps below 30*) I do put on boot blankets. Rubber over shoes work well too. Also put a pad on your stand under your feet. I worked years ago with an old man (I worked construction outside all my life) and he said if you keep your wrists, ankles, neck and head warm and covered you could always stay warm. His theory was that these were the areas of the body that the veins were nearest the surface and worked like a radiator to release body temperature.

12-Nov-17
This is common with all beta blockers, switching medications may not help unless you go to a mediation specifically for tremors, and those come with side effects of their own. I usually prescribe a beta blocker to start because the side effect profile is lower, and many of my patients also have hypertension anyway. I would go for looser boots, battery operated socks and some heating packets. Getting warm air circulating in that area will probably be your best bet. Hope this helps you a little bit. John

12-Nov-17
Thanks all. Ben it's "just" 60mg daily. I think a big part of it is that I'm just not used to being cold and wasn't really as prepared as I should be. I really appreciate the insights provided here. And like I said the med is working for what I need it to do so changing for the sake of dealing with cold for a month or two isn't an optio for me Craig

• Sitka Gear