t-roy 13-Nov-17
TMA1010 13-Nov-17
13-Nov-17

TMA1010's embedded Photo
Screen shot from the video.
TMA1010's embedded Photo
Screen shot from the video.

TMA1010's Link
It rained yesterday morning here in Illinois and I needed a morning to sleep in so it was an easy choice not to hunt. I still went out and thought it'd be a good time to go around and check all of the trail cameras and get a survey of what's going on in the woods without making too much of an impact. Seems the big bucks are in lock down right now and they just aren't where I expect them to be. Anyways, I got to an area where the timber comes into what is the last standing cornfield for a few miles in any direction and a couple of does busted out of the field and ran right past me into the timber. I went a little further and thought "Man that smells like a buck" so I kind of held tight hoping he'd come out of the corn and I'd get to see him. Then I heard some growling from the corn field and it kind of freaked me out, not a sound I've heard in the woods before. I decided to walk up around the corner of the field and when I did a bunch of turkeys flew off, so I figured they made some strange noise and I wrote it off as turkeys being turkeys. But then I heard some grass rustling and the unmistakable sound of antler against antler. I snuck over and saw two bucks fighting, and so I pulled out my cell phone and got the video on the attached link. I snuck up to within 10 yards of them, I'm certain I could have walked right up to them if I'd have been a little braver/crazier than I am. Regardless, amazing experience and it's just one of those "in the right spot at the right time" deals so I thought I'd share it with you guys.

I hope everyone is having a good season and is out there enjoying nature at it's finest.

13-Nov-17
That would have been a slam dunk shot at 10 yards with a bow while they were hooked up broadside to you! Bucks of about the same size like those two were will fight for a long time when neither one thinks they're the lesser and gets out of Dodge.

13-Nov-17
Once in many lifetimes opp right there!

Nice job on getting the video!!

Mark

13-Nov-17
Wow! That was incredible! Thanks for sharing.

Darren

13-Nov-17
That was pretty freakin cool. Thanks for sharing.

13-Nov-17
Wow that was great!

13-Nov-17
Yeah no problem - glad you guys like it. I wish the footage was a little better, but you still get the jist of the situation - they were really going after each other.

13-Nov-17
That was amazing! This time of year, with the bucks being so rut-crazed, good to have your bow any time you are in the woods.

Would you have taken one of them if you'd had your bow?

13-Nov-17
I actually already killed a pretty good buck back on Oct 29 and there are four bucks better than these two that I'm holding out on, so no - I wouldn't have shot either of these bucks. I agree that it's always a good idea to have your bow with you when you're out during the season, you never know what's going to happen!

13-Nov-17
WOW! Once in a lifetime for sure! : )

13-Nov-17
Very cool! It's amazing how brutal they can be...

13-Nov-17
Awesome! Two equally matched warriors right there! I thought they were breathing so heavy and so tired I was really impressed how quick they were when they finally broke up! Amazing creatures.

13-Nov-17
Awesome! That was some great video! Thanks for sharing it!

If a guy had been inclined to shoot one of them I bet they would not have even realized they were shot until they dropped dead.....and then the "victor" would have likely torn him up!

13-Nov-17
Even though you wouldn't have shot them had you had your bow you probably wouldn't been able to even see them much less get a great video. Little bit of Murphy's law playing in there. Great job on the video, really captures the moment.

13-Nov-17
I personally would not shoot a deer in this situation or if they were locked together. Only if the deer was not going to survive then I would....not that hungry for horns and the meat would be terrible.

13-Nov-17
Holy Batman! Amazing, thanks for sharing.

13-Nov-17
Well I guess their not in “lock down”! Great video!

13-Nov-17
I think the VIDEO is the TROPHY in this case! ;-)

13-Nov-17
That is reaaaally cool stuff right there. Thanks for sharing with us.

13-Nov-17
Charlie - I guess you're right!!

Rut Nut - Yeah I agree that this video is the trophy. It's certainly getting a lot more attention than any kill pics that I've posted. I'll probably get a print of that picture in my original post on this thread printed out at some point to have on the wall.

13-Nov-17
Very cool. Those are two very equally matched animals. Impressive muscle getting pushed around. Thanks for posting this up!

13-Nov-17
awesome! thanks so much for sharing. my kids are pretending to fight like bucks now

13-Nov-17
Wow! Thanks! My wife watched it.

13-Nov-17
Awesome.

13-Nov-17
Do you think they were locked up for at least part of that? Looked like it, especially towards the end when they were side-by-side... maybe they got unlocked when the one went nearly upside down?

13-Nov-17
I would hate to end up in the middle of that fight. Amazing the strength they have. Very cool video!

13-Nov-17
GF - you know I didn't even think about if they were locked up or not, they were both giving it all they had for sure though. I thought about yelling at them to try and get them to stop because there's no doubt they wanted to kill each other. I'm glad it played out the way it did. Nature ran its course and they were no worse for the wear.

• Sitka Gear