woodguy65 15-Nov-17
craig@work 15-Nov-17
t-roy 15-Nov-17
The last savage 15-Nov-17
jerry 15-Nov-17
Bowriter 16-Nov-17
craig@work 16-Nov-17
15-Nov-17
Two part question for the crowd. First, has any one planted thornless honey locust from seed pods? From what I can tell, they have a hard seed coat and have to be boiled or somehow broken through and then can germinate. Second, do deer eat the pods? I have one in my yard and while I have tracks all around it I have never actually seen a deer eating them. I collected a bunch of pods and am going to shell out the seeds. Thinking of hand seeding a few for giggles. Again, these are thornless so I'm not worried about punctured tires or anything.

15-Nov-17
Not sure about the planting part, but deer absolutely love the pods. Other wildlife too.

15-Nov-17
I used to hunt a farm that was loaded with Honey Locust. I've witnessed deer eat the pods several times.

15-Nov-17
Absolutely they eat Honey locust pods. If you break the pod apart long ways, you can see a gold gel in there surrounding the seeds - that is the "honey" and it is actually very sweet.

15-Nov-17
Thanks guys! Anybody direct sowed seeds like this?

15-Nov-17
The deer do the sowing for you. They eat the pods and crap the seeds out, spreading the trees everywhere. They are a PITA around here, at least the thorny locusts are. The deer love the pods. They look like they’re eating a piece of jerky. They start on one end and work towards the other end. I’ve never seen them drop one while eating them.

15-Nov-17
I once had a stand that was for the sole purpose of over looking a honey locust grove,,the deer loved um!

15-Nov-17
Stratify the seeds in the refrigerator. Once they are stratified file a notch in the seed coating and plant in a potting soil. Before you plant and after you notch the seed dip the seed in a hormonal powder. Hope this helps you.

16-Nov-17

Bowriter's embedded Photo
Bowriter's embedded Photo
Taken a week ago. Look close, you can see the pod sticking out the left side of her mouth. They are slamming them here, right now.

16-Nov-17
Thanks again all. This site always amazes me with its knowledge base.

• Sitka Gear