jmiller 19-Nov-17
ahunter55 19-Nov-17
Bou'bound 19-Nov-17
Franklin 19-Nov-17
Buffalo1 19-Nov-17
Ned 19-Nov-17
stealthycat 19-Nov-17
18-Nov-17
A buddy and I are looking to take a hunt next season somewhere in the midwest (we're from michigan), and get away from the amount of time we spend on state land. Does anybody know an outfitter or a place to hunt that wouldn't break the bank for a few young men just out of college?

18-Nov-17
A buddy and I are looking to take a hunt next season somewhere in the midwest (we're from michigan), and get away from the amount of time we spend on state land. Does anybody know an outfitter or a place to hunt that wouldn't break the bank for a few young men just out of college?

18-Nov-17
Hackbow gave good advice. There is quite a bit public land in So. IL. The Shawnee Ntnl. Forrest offers some great hunting and if you like camping, the cost should not be all that great. You can get away from most of the pressure. Yes, it will take some scouting and planning. A summer trip, maybe two, some good maps and if you can find his phone number or email, contact Gary Sefton-Google him to see who he is-I am sure he will steer you in the right direction. Here is one tip. Look at a good map and see where land is that would require you to get permission to cross private land to access the forest. Then, contact that land owner. Some years ago, I hunted there and we went in by going through a man's backyard and through a private cemetery. In a week, did not see another hunter but saw a ton of deer and a couple gagger bucks. Look for that kind of access.

18-Nov-17
Cheap Whitetail hunts are cheap Whitetail hunts. The Whitetail is One of the hardest species to Outfit because every hunter expects his biggest deer ever. The Advice above is the way to go! Good luck.

18-Nov-17
You can hunt okla. on the cheap. $242 for a buck and a doe OTC. Last week was good and there is a lot of public land and some nice deer here. We have 21,000 acres here less than 10 min. from the house. in the late season only a few hunters will hunt it.

18-Nov-17
Go west when you are young! You can hunt whitetails when you are an old man. Now that I am in my fifties I wish I would have hunted more out west and less out of state for whitetails. I will not miss another elk season while I can walk!

Young bright guys like yourself can do all the research from home for any of the western game and have a great hunt on public land for the cost of gas and basic equipment you probably already have or can borrow.

I love whitetail hunting, but DIY western game hunting is a whole other level of adventure!

18-Nov-17
What he said!!! Go West . Antelope is a great place to start . Target rich

18-Nov-17
I'd recommend a Coues whitetail hunt. Wards outfitters is a good outfit and have high success rate. Like stated antelope is another good choice. Also Blacktail deer can be hunted reasonably.

18-Nov-17
I will go along with the guys on going west. You don’t even have to go past the midwest to hunt mulies as well as antelope. I have hunted both diy on public and been in a target rich environment. Even if you wanted to hunt whitetails there is public that produces nice bucks.

With that said I did a whitetail hunt this November with Reddog Outfitters. I plan on doing a review. I will repeat.

18-Nov-17
The best way to hunt Midwest deer is to hook up with small outfits with many leased local farms....you pay a fee to hunt the piece for the week just like if you asked a guy down the street to hunt his farm. If it has good habitat...good deer location..food source...cover...travel routes and LOW PRESSURE it`s as good as any other property. You go set up your own stands...hunt the way YOU WANT and cheap. The WORST hunts I have ever been on were so called "guided hunts".

18-Nov-17
I just did a guided white tail hunt at River Ridge Outfitters in Northern Missouri and it was a waste of time and money, I will never do another guided whitetail hunt again . I will go to state land any day in the right place , and hang my own stands and sleep in the back of my truck . If you do go guided make sure you ask how many people they take at once ? How many days you hunt same stand day after day ? Take your own tree stand even if the outfitter says he has everything ! Don't believe everything your outfitter says ! I really kick myself for not taking my own tree stand , his were awful.

18-Nov-17
Make sure you ask how big bucks have to be and what the fine is if they don't measure up ? I found out after I got there , it was 500 extra if the buck wasn't 130 .

18-Nov-17
My buddy did the camp out in Ohio on sate land and got a 126-130 10-pt first day . Made me feel really stupid , but live and learn ! Next year !

18-Nov-17
Go West young man go west .

18-Nov-17
Hell yes ACB , that's way more fun !

18-Nov-17
Quote: "wouldn't break the bank for a few young men". Be more specific.....as in, how much can you spend per man?

18-Nov-17
Well.. Your statement is broad,,,,,outfitters ,or a place we can hunt,,,,huge difference....I hunt solo,,camp,prepack my food from store bought at home,I've hunted Midwest this way for years,,,game lands,,public,,,,,if you guys are serious bowmen,,are REALLY want to bow hunt ..you can,,,research,research,research.....$530 archery tag Illinois,,$344 gas ,,37 hrs driving,,{ to /from,scouting,processor etc,.}_total food cost $184.oo...I buy absolutely nothing but gas,,ice...I want it,,,if you young studs want it,,you can do it..in 20 16 I hunted 18 days straight on public land ,Midwest ,I did not see 1 single bowhunter.....as a similar thread earlier said,,many wt hunts are overpriced and over booked,,,I have a blast! Always....get your research started.....I live in way too east Maryland......lol

18-Nov-17

Pigsticker's embedded Photo
Pigsticker's embedded Photo
Technically you could do the Ohio for $500 a piece of vamped. I just did a public land hunt there. Here is a picture of the result of the hunt.

Do your research there is tremendous opportunities in the Wayne, Shawnee, and several WMAs.

18-Nov-17
Some good friends of mine just got done with NE Missouri. Lots of public land and they have a 4 point restriction. They killed some great bucks and saw a lot more. They live in the Grand Rapids area and said it was only about a 6 to 7 hour drive from home. That being said, I'm with some of the other folks on here. If you're going to diy on public land, head west!

18-Nov-17
There is a place in Augusta IL called Outdoor Partners. I have hunted there a few years. It’s an interesting concept. You basically lease several farms from them, hang your own stands, and hunt on your own. They show you the farms, where deer generally hang out, and give you a place to stay. You buy your own food and do your own cooking. It’s a 120” minimum OR 8pt and 15” inside spread.

Lots of repeat hunters or spots are limited. Worth looking into.

http://www.oplms.com/HuntInfo/rates.html

18-Nov-17
GO WEST!!! Seriously, go west and hunt mule deer, elk, etc........ I made the mistake of not hunting out west in my 20's and i regret that decision. I was too hung up on whitetails when i was invited to go elk hunting. Dumb, dumb.

You and your buddy what to hunt whitetails, then do as others suggested and do a DIY hunt on public ground. Hunt the terrain features and funnels and have a good time.

18-Nov-17
Great whitetail hunting out west too, I like it better than the Midwest..

18-Nov-17
I agree with VT. I have done these "semi guided" hunts in many states...you can tell just by a aerial where the deer will be. I would try this kind of hunt for whitetail...unguided Pronghorn...Elk and Mulie hunts are great...drop camp Alaskan Caribou is a great trip. Start your adventure in the Midwest go from there....the eastern side of Illinois or west side of Indiana is a nice spot....just saying.

19-Nov-17
What does a new truck cost? How about a boat, a divorce, an ATV? We think nothing of borrowing money to pay for one of these. I have written in my columns, many times, go to the bank, borrow the money and take that dream hunt while you are young and can enjoy it. I was fortunate to live and hunt in WY when I was in college. My first WY lic. cost $5. If I recall, that was for 2 antelope, 2 deer, a bear and I think an elk. My brother-in-law owned the best antelope ranch in Converse County and he and I hunted all over the Big Horns, Wind River and Tetons. Got a lot of it out of my system when I was young and bullet proof. But if you want to hunt out west, go borrow the money and pay it back over three years. What 8-10K over three years? Do it right and enjoy.

19-Nov-17
Which is why no one should ever come to Bowsite for financial advice. In my opinion, Illinois wouldn't be on my list (or at least at the top) because I don't think it is a cut above any of the others any more and tags are a little more expensive. Yes, I live here. You can still have a good hunt here, but it is a lot less likely than 15 years ago. Having said that, I've seen some really good ones killed this year, but they were all from good private land spots. All else equal, I would hunt somewhere like northern MO public over the Shawnee all day, any day right now.

19-Nov-17
Kinda forgot you were really looking to go outfitted in the beginning after reading all the posts. I can't help there, but I tend to agree that some public land is better than others and you could have a better opportunity on public elsewhere.

19-Nov-17
Well, we currently have the 8th largest army in the world heading into our woods as I type so I would rule out coming next door to WI.

19-Nov-17
South Dakota or Wyoming antelope are both inexpensive and lots of fun. Ontario black bear, combined with walleye fishing, is also inexpensive and a lot of fun. Bears generally aren't huge but either are the prices.

19-Nov-17

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
I was a working man, in the midwest & when younger did 30+ Co. Elk, Mule Deer public land, tenting bowhunts. Now tags for these two cost more than my entire trip back then. Still, today, it's doable. Least expensive would be Antelope. I did my 1st at age 68 cause I said that's what I would hunt when I couldn't do the mountains anymore. You usually have to buy points in Wy. for Antelope but a less expensive tag is available on line for S.D.. N.W. corner. Get the walk-in-area map/book & start research at home. Camp public area (free), your gas out & back, food & tag. Most reasonable of anything your going to find & success is pretty darn good. A blind & waterhole are required.. IF you do the spot & stalk, add $$ to the cost.. I've been fortunate to have bowhunted 15 states now & all DIY public land, tenting. My guided bowhunts except for a couple have been "required" by law & Hogs your cost is about the same but the chances are much better + for about $300 or a little more you get lodging, stands furnished. Tent camp with some buddies splitting expenses makes it do able & usually a heck of a lot of fun.. Like they said, you can hunt Whitetails almost any place, go west..

19-Nov-17
Did someone actually suggesting going into debt to take a hunt. Wow.

19-Nov-17
Northern Missouri blows....their gun season coincides with the rut and most deer are damn near slaughtered. Been there twice and saw a total of 6 deer. Eastern Illinois...Indiana...Ohio....Kentucky....all good whitetail spots.

19-Nov-17
I would not recommend borrowing money to go hunting. If you can't afford it, you need to keep it "parked at the house." Hunting is a hobby, not an essential need in life.

When you are young you should be focusing on physical demanding hunts while you have strength and stamina. When you age- then focus on the less physical demanding hunts such as whitetail, antelope and black bear.

19-Nov-17
western DIY elk, mule deer, antelope, etc..... Hunt National Forest, camp on NF. Do your homework and plan hunts a year in advance, put in for prime locations, drawing the right tag is maybe the hardest part, but there are several OTC hunts if you don't draw to get experience hunting. Put in for units other people overlook, or an adjoining unit next to a prime unit. etc.....

19-Nov-17
on OTC mule deer tag in a western state - spot and stalk - there are a lot of mulies in many areas and that's a heck of a lot of fun

• Sitka Gear