LKH 22-Nov-17
Elkhuntr 23-Nov-17
keepemsharp 23-Nov-17
Jaquomo 23-Nov-17
Jaquomo 23-Nov-17
Trial153 23-Nov-17
Aubs8 23-Nov-17
21-Nov-17
Yep, the Mavens out of Wyoming are a great value for the price.

21-Nov-17
I have 10-40 Bushnell' great glass, light weight, water proof, and a life time warranty. Won't break the bank!

21-Nov-17
I got a pair of the higher-end 10x42 Styrkas this summer and used them elk hunting. Was really happy with sharp clarity, light transmission, and very low edge distortion. Styrkas have been getting very good reviews from the testing outfits that use scientific methods vs just subjective eyeballing.

Everyone's eyes are different, and for many, probably most, the benefits of a super high-end glass won't be worth the extra $$$. Many others "think" they benefit because they just paid $2K.

I come from the high-tech video business. Most of the high definition video we all watch comes through my last company's encoding and compression engines. For side-side tests we would fly in supposed "Golden Eye" visual experts from around the country to watch multiple identical screens with different HD compression ratios. It was amusing how often one of the experts would imagine he "saw" digital artifacts that weren't actually there. To the normal person the difference between HD 3:1 vs. 4:1 compression was impossible to distinguish on a big screen TV. The financial implications of that are HUGE.

I learned a lot about visual acuity and psychological perception, which also applies to binoculars. By the way, there is no such thing as "HD" glass. That's a marketing gimmick.

21-Nov-17
I have Brunton and Leica in the 10x40 range. There is definitely some difference, but probably not enough to justify the price dif, but I don't want to leave the kids any money so I have the Leica's.

What makes more difference than anything for my roaming style hunting is a tall bipod Trigger Stick with a pad mounted on top that hold the binos. Almost as rigid as a window mount spotting scope and has fully compensated for my tremor .

21-Nov-17
Always get what your eyes like. Never, ever go off of someone else's testimony and/or because you think it makes you look better to others.

22-Nov-17
Have had everything from Nikon to Swavorski. Coule years ago, was given a pair of less costly Alpen, 8X42 . Had never heard of them and was tremendously surprised. For the money, great buy.

22-Nov-17
For the money Alpen are hard to beat.

22-Nov-17
I have to say as a certified optics junkie....don't trust what you read on the internet.

I've looked through some of the highly touted binos on these different forums side by side with my Swaros and EDG's...and the difference in clarity is night and day.

Any bino looks clear in the store. Take them outside in low light and compare units side by side...then you will see the difference. That said, I have seen a couple of the lesser binos that compare favorably to the top 4.....the Leopold mohave pro HDs at about $500, and the Monarch 5/7's are a good bang for the buck.

22-Nov-17
Good points, Beendare. To my earlier post, someone like you or me can see a difference between a very good mid-level glass and the very best. To someone who has spent a lifetime looking through $150 Wal Mart Bushnells and uses them to glass whitetails in Uncle Wilbur's bean field, the difference between, say, the Leupold Mojave Pro Guides (which I also have) and Leicas may not be that discernable, and likely not worth an extra $1700.

But for someone who spends hours behind glass in the West, the difference may well be worth the extra $$$.

22-Nov-17
Bushnells are horrible. For just a little more money, you have a choice between several different brands that are a ton better. Nikon Monarchs are very good for the money. They cost twice what Bushnells cost, but the quality is leaps and bounds better. Nonetheless, I have compared Monarch 5 8x42s looking at the same deer a mile away with Swarovski 8.5x42s and while they're not the exact same bino, the Swaros were definitely better in crispness and in light gathering. But it wasn't the same increase in clarity comparing Bushnells and the Nikon Monarchs.

22-Nov-17
I've been using the 10x42 Stryka's all summer and fall long, and love them. I was impressed how they did compare to the high end glass, and how well they fit my face!! I got one of their spotting scopes, and have been using the heck out of it watching some desert mulies. Glad I found Stryka.

22-Nov-17
And before I forget, don't forget that once a year, Stryka will clean and take care of your Stryka Optics for free, even the postage is paid by Stryka.

22-Nov-17
Hello guys : I have always had cheap binoculars and I did fine when my eyes were young. I seldom use them these days now that my old eyes need eyeglasses. Please tell me that there decent binoculars out there for a reasonable price that I can use with glasses on. I was at camp the afternoon before the opener this year and I spotted a doe at about 150 yards. She was in the brush but I knew where she was. I would have enjoyed seeing her head seven or eight times closer.

22-Nov-17
I have an older pair of Monarchs 10 x 42 that have treated me well. Two years ago I bought a pair of Steiner Predator 8 x 42. I can see quite an improvement in clarity and low light conditions. Not regretting the Steiner purchase in the least, and they won`t break the bank. JMO

22-Nov-17
^^ good points.

The good news for guys now vs 30 years ago....there are many very good options at the different price points....and there is only a small incremental difference between the top of the line and some of the mid priced models.

It used to be you either had the cheapies....or the top of the line models with very little in between

22-Nov-17
I actually prefer my brand new Cabelas Euros to my roughly 8 year old Swaro EL’s. The colours seem to be more vivid. Very impressed with them.

22-Nov-17
I've looked through Zeiss, Leica, and Vortex. I've had Leopold (Gold and Green Ring), Nikon, Bushnell, and Tasco.

My eyeballs like what I have now, a pair of Swaro's. Wish I could find my Green Ring's to keep in the console of my truck... 8^(

22-Nov-17
You will never be as effective with glasses on as you will with them off. Using glasses allows far too much peripheral light and shrinks the field of view. This really becomes an issue early and late in the day.

I have close to 20-20 vision and often wear a pair of glasses with what is close to 20-10 correction.

What I do is tip my glasses up just enough to get the eyepieces to my eyes.

23-Nov-17
to those liking the stryka's, which series? S5 or S7? I found S7 10x42 for $500.00. the S9's seem like the same glass, only with open bridge and much heavier, and more cost.

are they made in japan?

23-Nov-17
I can shoot rifles with my glasses but cannot use them with binos.

23-Nov-17
I was referring to the S7s in my post. I believe they are built in Japan but the company is based in the US (MN?) and the optics are designed here. From what I've read, the principals came from another high-end optics company. Not sure which one.

23-Nov-17
I also own three pairs of Steiners and they are a fine glass for the money too.

23-Nov-17
Currently the list below is whats in my line up right now. 10x42 SLC Hd 8x32 Els 12x50 ELs Also have a pair of Zeiss Victory SF 10x42

23-Nov-17
Check out Pentax. Mike

• Sitka Gear