Charlie Rehor 22-Nov-17
t-roy 22-Nov-17
Jack Harris 22-Nov-17
Mpdh 22-Nov-17
Copey 22-Nov-17
drycreek 22-Nov-17
RJ Hunt 22-Nov-17
22-Nov-17
So after 30 years of coastal black tail hunting here in Oregon and spending countless days in a tree stand every year just to be pelted with driving rain in our late season I broke down and purchased a tree stand umbrella. Yes... I am getting old. But yesterday we received and inch of rain and I never even put on my rain jacket! I don’t know why I waited so long. Maybe like buying your fist automatic trans truck, or switching from fingers to a realease but if you have not tried one yet I would say dollar for dollar the best gadget I got! Am I the only one that thinks this?

22-Nov-17
I used to live in North Bend. The umbrellas are nice unless it gets real windy.

22-Nov-17
They are the cats meow when you want to hunt in the rain.

22-Nov-17
Que the ethics "never hunt in the rain" police...... 3, 2, 1....

22-Nov-17
I hate automatics. Cost a crap ton to fix, worse gas mileage, and worst of all, when you burn down the battery, you can't pop the clutch to get it started.

22-Nov-17
“Never Hunt in the rain” lol Tell that to any one who has spent time after a black tail buck. If you don’t hunt in the rain here... you won’t hunt.

22-Nov-17
You just have to aim for the spine in the rain TD. ;^)

22-Nov-17
I have used a tree umbrella for a much different reason. Being our hunts here in Az in August are hot just about anywhere you go in the state. I do all day sits in a tree stand and the umbrella is really nice to have the shade as the sun starts beating on you. I have used it in a couple rains as well. I think they are well worth the price and they are fairly light to carry.

22-Nov-17
Do they make an umbrella that you can attach to the side of your tree stand to help break up your outline?

22-Nov-17

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo
I just wear a hat.

22-Nov-17
tobinsghost. the umbrellas I have screw into the side of the tree and can be angled pretty much anyway you want them to. yes they work great for breaking up your outline. The umbrella is kind of transparent to the camo on the outside can be seen through it making a good backdrop.

22-Nov-17
I know some guys rave about them, but I always put them about on par with the butt out tool. I've heard some guys love those too.

22-Nov-17
What is brand? I've been looking at Hawk and Summit.

22-Nov-17
I had invented that Tree standbumbrella back in 1981 but let it slip away and did not go to market. Grrr!

22-Nov-17
Yeah, and Al Gore invented the internet too, Charlie!

And Jerry Seinfeld invented the umbrella twirl ;-)

22-Nov-17
The one I use was $19 at Dick's, had to buy when I was in Ohio this year and it kept me warm and dry. Very sharp screw no issue driving it into Oak trees. In order to secure to tree you have stretch snap tether and it requires you can "reach around". Some trees are too big for that, so carry tacks. If you don't secure umbrella to tree it wont stay up because it's on a swivel arm. Invaluable piece of equipment IMHO. As for "not hunting in the rain" well yeah, common sense needs to apply but there is NO better time to be in the woods especially during rut than AFTER a rain. It's better to be set up and stay dry during the rain so you are already there when you need to be without blowing deer out on way in. I also like hunting cold damp drizzly days during rut.

22-Nov-17
My first car was a 64 Chevy Belair pos, with a 2 speed auto. Push started that thing many times. Mileage diff between autos and manuals is insignificant.

MP

22-Nov-17
I also hunt blacktails in Washington and have been thinking of getting one of these. Which one do you have ? How does Orna perform in the wind ? Do deer notice the sound of rain on the umbrella ?

Thanks !

22-Nov-17
" I hate automatics " Why Ike, whatever do you mean ? :-)

I can think of another reason for a tree umbrella. It gives you a little back-cover when deer are looking up at you. My son used to use one quite often even when it wasn't raining.

22-Nov-17

RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
The one I bought was $19.99 at Dicks. Not sure about the brand but good enough I should have got two. Tacks are a good idea for the larger trees to get the strap around. I was going to have the wife see on an additional length of cord to reach if need. I also find that right when a hard rain stops the black tail start popping out of everywhere. Driving rain... agreed. Got to use best judgement. Here is a pick of today. The fog came rolling in and got dark pretty quick. No bucks today but tomorrow a new day.

• Sitka Gear