1cam 26-Nov-17
drycreek 26-Nov-17
TGbow 26-Nov-17
Bowriter 27-Nov-17
tinecounter 27-Nov-17
24-Nov-17

Bowriter's embedded Photo
Yesterday, in a 30-minute period, I saw 11 deer-seven does, four bucks. The last buck is the largest I have seen in TN in quite some time and I took a 90-yard shot down through the thicket , (it is rifle season and this is not about the shot.), Found three small quarter-size spots of blood. Two hours of looking and combing the thicket with two others are two dogs, convinced me it was just a graze.

The thicket, 11-acres in size, is truly a thicket. Briars, vines, multi-flora rose and so this in many places. you must force yourself through. Lots of bending, twisting, high-stepping and such. Yesterday, after getting home and eating way too much, TG dinner, I was understandably stiff and sore. This morning, I can barely move. Can only sit in one position, even hurts to take a deep breath. I am just waiting for my health club to open so I can get in the hot tub. I had planned to spend the next three days hunting. It is almost 28-days after the best part of our chase phase #1 and that means chase phase #2 is about to get "right". Hope I don't miss it all. Ibuprofen time. Cannot figure out what I have "pulled" but whatever it is, it dang sure hurts. Pretty sure it can't be anything serious. I don't have a serious bone in my body.

The shot was just to the left of the triple-trunked tree, through an opening about the size of a wash tub. This is one of the few "clearings" in the thicket. It is about 45-yards to the "thick" part and he was another 40-yards into the stuff. This picture was taken from the stand. You cannot see them but there are small openings through which one can shoot a rifle. I have killed four deer from this stand with a bow.

24-Nov-17
If it hurts to take a deep breath, maybe a trip to a Doctor before the hottie. Now, I don't always go to the Ol' Sawbones myself when I probably should but I'm just sayin'.

24-Nov-17
Maybe time to listen to your body and hit the Dr first!

24-Nov-17
Pain is good. It means you are alive and your body's working to heal.

24-Nov-17
Personally I don't go to my dr for bowhunting advice or bowhunters for medical advice but since you have come here I will provide the following diagnosis for you. I am not a doctor and did not even stay at a Holiday in Express last night so take it for what it is worth.........................it could be a pulled muscle in the chest and I suggest the following

Chest pain can be a scary phenomenon, causing you to fear the worst. A heart attack, pulmonary embolism, hypertension and a host of other complications can cause chest pain. On the other hand, a multitude of minor issues can cause chest pain. Exercising after a meal, coughing, heartburn, weight lifting or trauma from an injury are minor causes of chest pain. Always confirm the cause of pain before deciding how you will treat it. If a pulled muscle is the cause, at-home-remedies such as ice, rest and over-the-counter medications will be sufficient.

Tenderness

Chest pain caused by a pulled muscle is the result of trauma that can occur several days before the pain transpires. Consider any activities you have done recently that might result in a pulled muscle. Injury from direct trauma can cause tenderness of the chest wall muscles. You will notice tenderness when pressing on the area with fingers. Coughing and weight lifting are possible factors leading to a pulled muscle in the chest.

Chest muscles are pulled and strained in varying degrees. The mildest pulled muscle injury yields no tears or weakness. A moderate injury results in tears to the chest muscles and tendons. The most severe injury causes the tendons to rupture, resulting in a need for surgery and other medical interventions. The most obvious sign of a pulled muscle is pain. However, the level of pain felt relates to the degree of injury. With a muscle strain, pain can be felt when stretching, lifting, reaching or exerting the affected chest muscles. A moderate or severe strain will also result in weakness, due to a muscle tear.

Muscle Spasms/ Swelling

A pulled muscle due to strain or injury can also cause swelling in the chest area and muscle spasms. A muscle spasm is the result of inflammation caused by strain, causing the muscles to contract suddenly. Pain may also be present with muscle spasms. To relieve swelling, ice can be applied immediately after injury, but should be limited to 20-minute applications, according to the Mayo Clinic. You can reapply the ice treatment every few hours.

24-Nov-17
Bowriter- if you sprained/strained something, last thing you wanna do is heat! ICE is the way to go the first 48-72 hrs. If you use heat too soon you can actually make it worse.

24-Nov-17
Wow, Bou' bound you actually had something positive to contribute to bowriter's thread, instead of just a snide comment, congrats!

Hope you figure out your medical concern bowriter.

24-Nov-17
Hope you see that deer come by again bowriter so you can show em what’s up! Get that pain taken care of, i usually won’t get out to the doctor for much of anything...except chest pains that stuffs nothin to mess with. As far as your hunt goes i haven’t seen much of anything up here near Clarksville been hittin it hard for about a week and a lot of last light movement is about it still waiting on the big boy

24-Nov-17
Bowriter,

A pulled muscle is one thing, however If the pain is internal and if your body is trying to tell you something then, CONTACT a CARDIOLOGIST as soon you can.

Better safe than ???

24-Nov-17
Go see your Doctor.

24-Nov-17

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo

24-Nov-17
I had to go to the emergency room one time.couldn't get my breath,and felt like I had cracked ribs.had a cat scan and was told to get to the hospital.had to get gall bladder removed.doctor said it was the worst he ever took out.five stones the size of fifty cent pieces and was gangrenous.

24-Nov-17
It is not "chest pain" as in heart or lungs. It 100% muscular combined with old age. Heart and lungs are fine. Hard as it may be to believe, I am married to a doctor of the ob-gyn kind. I can't pronounce or spell it but she told what muscles I had "stretched". My only concern was skeletal damage-I am a train wreck form L 2-on down. After hot tub session, temporary relief. Shame I quit drinking. :) Thinking may hunting off the ground this afternoon.

Was not looking for advice, get plenty of that from wife-woman and most of it is useless. Was pointing out, how age and abuse, can affect our bodies, especially the trapeze/rhomboid/ googlaizatus constrcitasoris or some such something. But thanks for concern. And rattlin junkie-Bou'bound is my alter ego. We have an annual contest to see who pixx off the most people. Part of the benefit of getting old.

24-Nov-17
I’d say it’s a dead heat.

24-Nov-17

Oh, maybe I should mention, except for the wife-woman and one of my land owners...I hate doctors. After seven surgeries, I am in worse shape than I was at 18. Aren't you supposed to improve age??? I know Scotch, does.

Just a few years ago, I ran this one down and cut its' throat.

24-Nov-17
OH,

I thought you were a "spring chicken". Now I find out you are just a tough old Rooster. :^}

Listen to your doctor ! You know, the one you are married to ! :^}

Personally I prefer a dry sauna over a hot tub. :^}

Get better, get your buck, keep us updated. :^}

24-Nov-17
LOL- Good for you, Ground Hunter. I am in permanent A-fib. I spend a lot of time in my cardiologist's office, plus we hunt together now and then. Trust me, I know the difference between heart and muscle problems. This morning, my bp was 122 over 66 and I was fine as long as I was still and didn't take a deep breath. Naw, it is that big, somewhat thin muscle that wraps around under the trapezius below the scapula. And the longisimus dorsi and the one over the sciatic/lumbar junction...just to be somewhat more specific. But...unless you have been poked, prodded, stuck and cut on, MRI's and scanned as I have, for dang sure, go to doctor if something aint gee-hawin as it should. If that fails, do as I did, have good sense, when young, to marry a doctor. They make good money and can save you a bundle in Rx costs. But also do as I did, marry one ten-years younger.

24-Nov-17
FYI- Taking the day off from hunting. So far, have spent most of it on couch. Starting to think, come dawn, I have a nice, natural groundblind I probably had better be sitting in. Bout killed me missing this morning at 23-degrees and calm. Forecast for 30, tomorrow morning and I have some peeps I can call if I need dragging help...and now, the check Injun light is on in the truck. Comes on every year about this time. Next, I predict, I shall awake with the runs. I am two behind for the year on feeding some needy families. Need to catch up pdq.

24-Nov-17
Well that's any EASY diagnosis ... it's called the "golden years", yup, the age thingy. When I over-do, the only real cure is a HOT, HOT shower, normally 2 or 3 days worth and as you said, ibuprofen 3 times a day. "Most" of the time this works.

24-Nov-17
OMG, you guys sound like a bunch of old ladies, My wife doesn't even complain this much, and that's after elk hunting for 2 weeks LOL

25-Nov-17
90 yrd shot thru that stuff? Might have the ol doc do a psychological eval while you're there too!

25-Nov-17
1cam, you did read and comprehend that it was a rifle shot, right. Okay. It 3:45. I have been up...almost, for 45 minutes, got the first cup down. When I went to bed, I was feeling pretty good and planned on slippin into the thicket this morning. But as of right now, still not quite able to straighten all the way up. I'll hit the shower at 5 and then, make the call. After all, I aint be signin no contract. But tomorrow I have. I promised to take the G-son for a couple hours before church and I aint lettin him down. G-Pa aint be disapointin no 12-year old boy. He doesn't know it, probably make his mom a touch antsy but he is getting a quality, battle scarred and well used rifle for Christmas. It comes complete with a new scope and sighted in to shoot 1" high at 100. (Sidebar)- This is a step grandson, just joined our family back in June. Great kid, has a great mother-very glad to have them in our family. Had a rough go of things, the last few years with a less than, shall I say likable father. My son has muscular dystrophy and can do a lot but walking in the woods is a tremendous chore for him. G-son took hunter education course, has done some shooting but has never been hunting. This is the first opportunity he and I have had to go, due to his father and weekend custody and such. So...one way or another, we are going.

Ned- Is your wife 73? When I was 65, I was guiding elk hunters and was in the mountains for six weeks straight. lemme know how she gets along at 73. :)

25-Nov-17
Hang in there John. It will get better day by day.

26-Nov-17
My apologies Bowriter....But I still couldn't make that shot!;)

26-Nov-17
John, Bou is lyin' out his azz ! It ain't getting any better ! Old age is the consolation prize for not being shot by a jealous husband...........:-)

26-Nov-17
Hope you get to feeling better. I wouldn't blame it on old age right away. Sometimes it just takes the wrong movement or twist to pull a muscle or something. That can happen at any age.

27-Nov-17

Had to re-schedule trip with G-Son. Going to have to wait until some court finnaglings get settled. As I said, his bio-father is a bit of a cloaca. On the positive side, I am feeling a lot better and am going back to the woods come tomorrow. I can't let that old man, Marion Ray James, who has now hunted 58-straight days, (and missed a shooter, too,), get ahead of me. Wife-woman says this picture is a clue to some of my problems. This resulted four broken ribs, cracked sternum and several unclean words spoken. This was 1971, Casper, WY and that little bull hit me so hard, he almost hurt himself. Most of my aches and pains are on the right side.

27-Nov-17
Try ice as a painkiller. Works best when drenched in whiskey. (Old joke, but then so am I)

• Sitka Gear