GotBowAz 28-Nov-17
Copperhead 28-Nov-17
Landshark Launcher 28-Nov-17
Hunting5555 29-Nov-17
8point 29-Nov-17
Rut Nut 29-Nov-17
flyingbrass 29-Nov-17
27-Nov-17
What is your favorite wood for smoking game meat ?

27-Nov-17
I mostly use hickory. Sometimes apple and pear depending on the meat.

27-Nov-17
Cherry for fowl and mesquite for all others.

27-Nov-17
Apple wood, is my go to for most, and if you are new to smoking it is a great wood to start with, very hard to over smoke using it, just my opinion..

27-Nov-17
siemthing I picked up a couple years ago was nut shells. I use English walnut hulls almost exclusively for game, fish, poultry, and veggies. I do use hickory for pork and beef. The walnut hulls put out a mild sweet smoke. FYI they do burn quickly/got so may raise the smoker temp 25-50 degrees

Craig

27-Nov-17
Hickory, Cherry, Mesquite mostly. All depends on the meat tho.

27-Nov-17
+1 on the apple

27-Nov-17
Apple for me also. I have used others but I keep coming back to it.

27-Nov-17
Mesquite & Hickory on red meat. Alder on fish, and cherry for birds.

27-Nov-17
If I had to use one for everything, it would be Apple.

27-Nov-17

27-Nov-17

27-Nov-17
I think PECO likes apple

27-Nov-17
I think PECO likes apple

Too. LOL

27-Nov-17
I'm one that loves to taste the smoke. I go hickory on everything including chicken. But when I'm smoking for others, I typically use apple or cherry for chicken, hickory for pork and beef because I have more hickory than I'll ever use. I'm going to try oak one of these days.

27-Nov-17

Hh76's Link
Good guide to wood and smoke.

I have a wood rack that is partitioned into 4 sections. Maple, hickory, cherry and apple. I mostly use the Hickory.

27-Nov-17
I join the group who use apple wood. I like to cut small branches green and throw them over my charcoal. It doesn't hurt to have apple trees in my yard.

27-Nov-17
Hickory for pork/beef, alder for salmon, and apple for birds.

Would like to try the nut hulls/shells though...

27-Nov-17
I hope to be able to distinguish the difference on day.

27-Nov-17
Cherry

27-Nov-17
yellow locust

27-Nov-17
Typically i always used hickory. I switched it up on the last brisket i did to apple...it was much better

27-Nov-17
Pecan

28-Nov-17
I prefer apple and so does the wife. We also like pecan for a change. Either give a lighter smoke that doesn’t over power the meat. I use the wood pellets in a Smothing Brothers grill. Set it and forget it. Must better food than my old Brinkman.

28-Nov-17
How does mesquite compare to apple? Is it sweeter or stronger? Im not sure i've had apple smoke before but I have had lots of mesquite. I like it but a few of my relatives think its too smoky flavored.

28-Nov-17
Apple is much milder and sweeter than Mesquite

28-Nov-17
Apple is my go to wood for fish or game meats like venison. I use cherry for waterfowl, hickory for jerky.

28-Nov-17
Did my Thanksgiving ham with oak and maple from the yard. Everyone said they loved it. I added some apple/pineapple/honey glaze for the last hour, man I'm doing it like that every time. I've done mesquite on some beef and venison roasts, that was some good stuff too. The venison was wrapped in foil until almost ready, then opened up to absorb a little smoky goodness. Reading on smoker forums got me on a kick for a while there. I'll have to give the fruity woods a go sometime soon, sounds yummy.

28-Nov-17
Thanks X-man.

28-Nov-17
Pecan

28-Nov-17
Pecan/hickory

29-Nov-17
Apple for everything. I even add apple juice to my water pan.

29-Nov-17
Got use to Alder when in Alaska. Native folks do wonders with it on Salmon.

29-Nov-17
Hickory is my go-to...................................have used alder and apple for fish and I tried Mesquite- UGH!!!!!!!!!!!! I know some guys just love it, but mesquite smoked venison tasted like tar paper to me! : (

I just bought a new propane vertical smoker and looking in Lowes I notice there are way more varieties now than years ago. Gonna try some pecan next.

29-Nov-17
Sassafras! I got a few sticks left from a whole pickup load I traded from a guy for some bee equipment. After I saw the leave it's easy to ID in the woods. I found some on my property so I'm going to get some more of it. I like apple but it is damn hard to find. Mesquite is like using oak leaves to me, not good.

• Sitka Gear