Scar Finga 01-Dec-17
wyobullshooter 01-Dec-17
Russell 01-Dec-17
Russ Koon 01-Dec-17
Jack Harris 01-Dec-17
Beendare 01-Dec-17
x-man 01-Dec-17
30-Nov-17
I know about tuning broadheads to the vanes but what if we are using 3 blade broadheads and 4 vane fletching. Hoe do we tune then" Do I have to get new 4 blade broadheads?

30-Nov-17
No you don't. You need to ensure they are all aligned the same on each shaft. This is to ensure when the arrow comes out of the bow, and the arrow is oscillating, each broad head/arrow combo reacts the same. If the broad heads are all facing differently directions, it will cause a slight change of impact due to the first burst of air the broad catches.

30-Nov-17
Makes no difference!

I shoot mutiple styles of broadheads, usually at least three, on my hunting arrows to ensure the arrow is tuned (front end square, spine consistent, nock alignment is good) and I never consider the blade alignment with the fletch. When the bow is tuned, arrows are good and I shoot a good arrow I have never, ever seen setups with different broadhead/fletch alignment impact differently.

30-Nov-17
If your bow is tuned and arrows are coming off the bow straight, don't worry about which way your broadheads are turned.

30-Nov-17
Agree with Tilz and Wood. No need to align the blades with the fletching ....wives tale :)

30-Nov-17
If it's aligned with the central axis of the arrow then your good. So square the ends and spin test. After that shoot em to find the ones that have a good personality.

01-Dec-17

ahunter55's embedded Photo
I've shot only 3 blades the last 40+ years. 3 fletch, 4 fletch at various times. I always put my heads with one blade lined up with my nock so that when it's on the string the blade faces away from the window. For me they always fly great with little or no tuning. If I have inserts in an arrow that doesn't line up it still shoots the same, 3 fletch or 4.. For me at least. When I've had an arrow flight problem & I check the arrow, its the arrow most of the time or a damaged head.

01-Dec-17

01-Dec-17
Never worried about then lining up. Properly tuned bow and properly spined arrow and they will fly true.

01-Dec-17
"Agree with Tilz and Wood. No need to align the blades with the fletching ....wives tale :)"

Exactly!

01-Dec-17
I use a Ram Arrow Spine Tester to mark the stiffest side of each arrow. Then reconfigure the tool to verify the points are true. Best $300 ive spent in a long time.

01-Dec-17
No need to align them. No difference in point of impact. Checked it out thoroughly many years back when I shot recurves and got tired of carefully aligning BH's with fletching. Shot recurves with sights and was getting consistent five-inch groups at 40 yards, with field tips and BH's hitting same POI. Intentionally misaligned a few BH's and could find NO difference in accuracy, POI, or flight.

I was and still am a stickler for tuning my arrows to get the best flight from the bow. These days I have come to rely almost entirely on bring BH impact to same point as FP, both fletched. Seems like every time I achieve that goal out to 40 yards, there are no flight problems with any BH's I screw on and whatever fletch combo I use.

01-Dec-17
I align 3 blades with 3 vanes, because that's just my OCD at work. As others have stated, I have proven time and again it makes no difference (but I still will heat up the BH with a cigar torch and align to vanes, just for aesthetics). Also - if everything is tuned, no need for 4 vanes over 3, you are just unnecessarily slowing down your arrow. I did try 4-vane and didn't like at all and quickly cut them off and went back to 3...

I will also add, my BH tuning became a "snap" when I went a little stiffer of spine, more GPI in the shaft, and going from 100gr to 125gr tips... (and the extra penetration doesn't hurt either). Like most things in life, good things happens when you get max penetration :)

01-Dec-17
This is like an old wives tail that never dies.....

01-Dec-17
The only advantage is still a good advantage... and that's keeping things neat and tidy in your quiver. If the blades line up with the vanes, you can place them in your quiver so nothing rubs.

• Sitka Gear