WV Runner 07-Dec-17
Paul@thefort 07-Dec-17
lyons707 19-Dec-17
Ward's Outfitters 19-Dec-17
WV Runner 20-Dec-17
lyons707 20-Dec-17
Ward's Outfitters 20-Dec-17
01-Dec-17
I have a coues deer hunt scheduled in January with Arrow 5. I know a lot of guys on here have hunted there before. I was kinda wondering what to expect; what kind of weather (how cold), blind or treestand, shot distances, etc... I'm not sure what all to expect and prepare for so I figured I would ask here. Thanks

01-Dec-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I missed this guy at 25 yards
I missed this guy at 25 yards
deer pics from my hunt in Mexico
deer pics from my hunt in Mexico
If you see some like these, do not hesitate.

01-Dec-17

While not with Arrow 5, I was hunting 130 mile south of Homassillo (sp) Mx in late Jan. Weather can be cool in the morning and in the 60--70s in the afternoon depending on what weather fronts come through. Did not rain in the 7 days we were there. Hunted over water and from a Double bull blind. No tall trees for a tree stand. Did no spot and stalk.

01-Dec-17

Fun hunt for sure.
Fun hunt for sure.

01-Dec-17
Paul, those are some nice Coues bucks ! Including the one you're holding......

Runner, good luck and post your hunt !

01-Dec-17
Why have you not asked your outfitter all these questions? Seriously not trying to be a Richard but they know their area and deer strategies the best. In terms of weather that time of year, if the wind blows it can be quite bitter in the mornings and pleasant in the afternoons. Adequate trees for stands are few and far between in most Coues country.... JMHO

02-Dec-17
If Mexico has regulations against baiting, understand them.

04-Dec-17
To be honest I've booked this through a well known consultant. I've asked some questions and get really vague answers. The hunts drawing close and I'm not sure what to expect. The outfitter is already down in Mexico and can be hard to reach now. That's why I was trying to reach out here.

04-Dec-17
Not sure if he can send it from down there, but I would ask for an equipment/ clothing list from the outfitter. It makes life so much easier than trying to guess. He could even take a picture of the list and text it to you.

JMT

04-Dec-17
I've never hunted Coues with A-5 But I have hunted BT with them at the very least you can expect an amazing hunt with truly wonderful people.

04-Dec-17

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
My wife’s favorite “deer mount”. Very pretty eye lashes!

04-Dec-17
Aaron, how are you getting into Mexico and then meeting the outfitter? We drove down and had no issues at all at the border as long as we did not have ANY firearms. Coming back you need to 'SPECIAL Process' the deer meat, deer hide and deer head and then check it with the US Fish and Wildlife Service at the border crossing. my best , Paul

04-Dec-17
In southern AZ I take clothes to hunt down into the teens with snow and high wind a possibility (Pac boots and wool pants like any other whitetail hunt for me for the coldest days). Doesn't happen every week, but over the past four seasons I've been in a bit a snow every year that typically melts out fast. Of course it can be warm in the afternoons too....nearly shirt sleeves until the sun sets, then it can get cold very quickly if its clear.

Where I hunt there is a lot of cat claw, which chews up my KUIU Attack pants. For scouting and warm weather sits I like to wear Carhartts as they repel the cat claw thorns pretty well. Different thicknesses of base layers are handy too. Good hiking boots are what I like to scout in. Given you are guided you may not be covering ground looking for "the spot" like I often do.

Good luck!!!

05-Dec-17
I've never seen catclaw manzanita in Sonora like there is in southern Arizona.

My sole piece of advice would be to watch the forecast for Hermosillo and pack accordingly the day before you leave. It can be super cold there in January. Normally, it's ridiculously pleasant all day long with a slight chill early.

Good luck!!!

Coues deer are a blast.

05-Dec-17

Just to get your heart pumping a little, I hope you have one of these guys within bow range.

07-Dec-17
Thanks to everyone. Paul@thefort, I'm flying. Going to fly to Tuscon, overnight and then fly into Hermosillo the next day. I had to spit the flights up so that I could get on Aeromar airlines into Mexico. They allowed two bags.

07-Dec-17

like Charlie's, one of my favorite mounts. Very fine featured animal. And as we know, "dynamite comes in little packages". You will have a blast but do not shoot the first one you see unless it is a big one.

19-Dec-17
WV Runner -- what dates are you hunting with Arrowfive? My buddy and I are hunting with them Dec. 15 - 20.

19-Dec-17
WV Runner I am the owner of Ward's Outfitters and we hunt Mexico. I can assure you that A5 runs a great operation, you will have a great time. You will be typically hunting out of grounds blinds i'm sure and I would expect you will be hunting cement and metal water tanks or man made water holes. I would suspect your typical shot range will be 20 to 35 yards. The weather can be hot in January on their ranch. I would suggest you wear layered clothing. Typical temperatures range from low 40's to high 80's .Take dark and camo clothing.

20-Dec-17
Thank you for the info Ward's Outfitters! I greatly appreciate it. Lyons707, I will be there the week before you. I'll be in camp Jan 8-13. I'm counting down the days!!

20-Dec-17
Have a great time and leave a couple for us please!! Aim small, miss small...Best of luck to you.

20-Dec-17
Charlie I recognize that buck, BROW'S is what we called him. Man that was a fun week.

• Sitka Gear