Lee 05-Dec-17
Lee 06-Dec-17
x-man 06-Dec-17
RJ Hunt 06-Dec-17
Woods Walker 06-Dec-17
Lee 06-Dec-17
RJ Hunt 07-Dec-17
04-Dec-17
Guys - picked up some Goldtip Kinetic Pierce on Black Friday for cheap and cut them to 27". Spine chart indicated I needed a 400 spine. Tried to paper tune them Sunday and could not get a right tear to go away no matter which way I moved the rest! Very frustrating to say the least. Since I am a lefty I'm thinking I am the exact opposite of a righty so am thinking this right tear means the spine is too weak? I can cut the shafts down a fair bit more (1.5" which ought to stiffen them up) but wanted to make sure I am thinking correctly. I'm shooting a 125 grain VPA 3 blade, bow is an elite Energy 35 at 60 lbs with a 27" draw.

Thanks,

Lee

04-Dec-17
You might check for fletching contact with lipstick or spray on powder. General rule is for tail right tear, move the rest to the left, or you might have to move you cams with different spacers. I've also heard that Elite bows sometimes swap limbs to correct tunning issues.

05-Dec-17
Take 3 turns off your limb bolts and see if there is a change. That will give you an idea if they are too weak at the current length.

Did your previous arrows tune with this bow or is this a brand new bow?

05-Dec-17
Should be plenty of spine for that set up.

05-Dec-17
I doubt it is spine related as well. Check contact with not only the rest, but with the cables too. Lipstick on the edges of all three vanes, and check for color transfer. Are the cam spacers symmetrical top to bottom? Are you torquing the grip?

05-Dec-17
As a lefty, I've papertuned to what logically makes sense for arrow flight. Whenever I go by the "standard", it never goes as it should.

05-Dec-17
If you have a split yoke try tuning it out with that if you show no fletch contact. If no split yoke may need to move some cam spacers.

05-Dec-17
Sorry guys - got swamped at work and couldn't answer questions. My current arrows are Gold tip hunters with a 400 spine - shoots great. Thought I'd have to bump the rest (QAD) up a bit to account for the smaller diameter. No split yoke on the bow. I'll have to check on the cam spacers. I'll take a look this eve.

Thanks, Lee

06-Dec-17
TTT. While there have been a number of suggestions I am still curious if a right tear for a lefty indicates a weak spine. I know a right tear for a righty indicates a stiff spine and figure it is the exact opposite for a lefty.

Thanks,

Lee

06-Dec-17
Only if you are shooting a trad bow.

A properly set up modern compound won't have a "stiff" tear. Weak tears with a properly setup modern compound can tear in either direction depending on many factors.

Take your Easton Tuning Guide and toss it in the trash where it belongs.

06-Dec-17
Agreed x-man. With modern compounds and a mechanical release the spine does not show the way it would with shooting fingers as the string does not roll or have a side to side motion when released. I may be wrong but in my time shooting/tuning not had a left or right unless I was adding torque to the riser or yoke/top cam was out of tune. Some bow like a little lean on the top cam and some don’t. May need to tune to your style of shooting. If it won’t tune out may have to look at your form. And yes. Arrows must be stiff enough to be consistent also. Best of luck.

06-Dec-17
For a lefty?

1. Make up complete untruths about it. 2. Force someone else pay for it via the IRS. 3. If it doesn't work or it doesn't fit your idea of how it should work blame Trump.

(SORRY! I couldn't resist.......) ;-)

06-Dec-17
Thanks Woodswalkwr - I needed a laugh!

Lee

07-Dec-17
WW.... I just got that. Funny. Guess this flu has me a bit slow.

• Sitka Gear