WV Mountaineer 15-Feb-18
Kz15 16-Feb-18
Kodiak 17-Feb-18
jfish 17-Feb-18
LKH 17-Feb-18
Doug C. 17-Feb-18
Kz15 17-Feb-18
09-Dec-17
Time has come to replace my current tent and have a few questions if folks using wall tents are willing to chime in? We’ve been doing an annual 10 day whitetail hunt in the mts ( east coast) for yrs and the past 10-15 were done using a Vietnam era surplus Military GP small with wood stove. Been thinking about replacing it with something more in line with a wall tent. A bit more detail that may changes answers.

1. We Pack gear in with ATVs so weight no a concern.

2. Camp consist of three bow hunters.

3. WX early Nov. average temps 20s to 50s. Snow rare

4. Wood stove used, cook inside most meals.

5. Will build own pole set with conduit and angle kit

6. Only used once a year and totally understand you can drop significant cash on a tent if you want to. Not sure a high end tent is required here, thinking decent quality will be just fine.

Questions?

1. Windows? Some tents come with them I guess nice for light but really needed?

2. Canvas vs other materials ie.. polyester?

3. Water proof? Appears most canvas tents require the addition of a rain fly is this correct? Some advertise “waterproof”. We need rain protection.

4. Budget? If you’re going to spend it spend it here or on this option

5. Liners? Current tent utulizies a white additional liner for both insulation and reflectivity. Do wall tents without liners do ok as compared to lined tents? I guesss only those who have used both can weight in on this one?

6. First hand observations with different brands?

Davis Tents Elk Mountain Tents Montana Tents Reliable Tents Etc.......?

Thank in advance

09-Dec-17

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Call Roy at Davis Tents.

He will customize a wall tent for your needs and give you very helpful information so you get exactly what you want.

I run a tarp on mine even tho it’s water resistant. Helps shed moisture and keep heat in.

I had this one 10x12 custom built this year, specifically for my needs. I also built my own frame.

09-Dec-17

BullSac's embedded Photo
BullSac's embedded Photo
I have a 12x14 from Davis tent. I had a window put in the back, really like the screen window to air it out on occasion. I've never used a tarp with it but can see the value in doing so. A 12X14 is perfect for 3 cots plus gear, with a small table and propane burner to cook on. I stack firewood in the area between the stove and tent wall. I have a big drum that I keep mine in when not used. The key is to make sure they are completely dried out when storing. I made my poles out of conduit. Highly recommend Davis. If I recall correctly, it was about $1400 delivered straight to my door. That includes the stove, tent (with rear window added), and stove. I can't imagine not having it.

Keven

09-Dec-17
Might not be exactly what you had in mind but, you should look at Cabelas Alaknak. I have had the 12x12 for several years and am happy with it. I originally was going with a wall tent but, the weight difference changed my mind. I have a three dog wood stove and it keeps me toasty.

09-Dec-17
My buddy just bought a Davis I believe and his had a front fly overhang....if you use a tarp fly you can just extend it past the front. Nice for leaving gear and muddy boots out side.

10-Dec-17
While a tarp is okay, the visqueen with the little threads in it is superior for letting in light. May be difficult to get some, but hazmat guys use it for covering polluted dirt piles and you may be able to buy a chunk the right size.

The covering isn't really necessary unless you end up with a bunch of snow then it's essential to allow the snow to slide off. A canvas tent is waterproof, but the covering is advised if you get torrential rain plus it add's a little insulation.

Windows not needed. If your ridgepole is internal, tie rope loops over it before putting the tent up, then you can use hangers to dry stuff. NEVER wash with any detergent.

Had Canvas Cabin for 30 years, used most years and sold it for 700 when I left AK. The secret is to dry it well . I stored mine in the furnace room.

Buy a screen for both doors if your's has two. Mine had the side opening for the stove and it worked great. Gets the ash if any away from the tent.

Buy a bigger stove than you think you need. I spent a week in mine at 18 below each night. If very cold, bring cardboard for the floor or at least under your feet at the table. Burn when leaving.

10-Dec-17
Jfish..thx for posting on in the market to build one myself...following along...

10-Dec-17
Wall tent shop. I’ve owned my 16 by 20 going on 15 years. It’s a great tent. It’s a strong tent too. Been collapsed under snow, stabbed by careless handling g of broadheads, etc... it’s still going strong. Very affordable too.

My only suggestion would be to go as small as you can. It’s hard to find places to set bid tents. I’d look at their 14 by 16 if I did it again. I doubt I will. It’s that good of a tent.

10-Dec-17

Doug C.'s embedded Photo
Doug C.'s embedded Photo
I've had a 14'x16' Davis wall tent w/rain fly for 10 years. It was ordered with a back door (both front and back are screened) and a window on each side. This was when it warmed up the tent got excellent cross ventilation. It can accommodate 4 hunters, gear, wood stove, plus a 6' table down the middle. I had them made custom side walls for the rain fly to enclose the front area for cooking/storing of gear.

10-Dec-17

Doug C.'s embedded Photo
Doug C.'s embedded Photo

10-Dec-17

Doug C.'s embedded Photo
Doug C.'s embedded Photo

10-Dec-17
Check out Deluxe Wall tents. Made in Canada so may save you some money with exchange rate. Got new ones last year for northern bear camp am totally impressed with their quality. Clients loved them.

10-Dec-17
Doug, that looks like a great setup. I wish mine had the porch!

I've got a Montana Canvas 14x17 without a porch and fits 3 and gear comfortably, with 4 and gear it gets kinda cramped. I've made a porch out of a tarp before but it's no where near as slick as Dougs setup.

10-Dec-17
Used to have a camp about 90 miles south of Prudhoe Bay and we had a 10x15 tent. What we did was sleep three in each of two Cabela's 8 man tents. Cot for each, lots of room to sort out gear, and suitcases fit nicely under cot. Lit a 2 mantle propane lantern and it takes the chill off pretty quickly.

We had 6 people and this really opened up the wall tent for a big table, large homemade cook table against one wall.

If you go With only 3 guys and 1 truck, this isn't a good choice. Same for very cold weather where the heat is essential.

10-Dec-17
Thanks for in fo thus far guys. The photos help a lot especially interior shots, helps w planning. Been reading tons of info from tent sights and they all have claims and reason why theirs is the best. Would really like first had info on the Elk Mts tent? No question The builders you guys have listed are good ones. Please keep the info and pic coming, season about over here and the Christmas tree is up might as well ponder a tent purchase.

Thanks

10-Dec-17

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Here's the porch that Montana Canvas offers.

10-Dec-17
I used my Cabelas Alaknak 12x20 in Michigan for about 12 years. We camped in 10-60 degrees temps, went through a very severe thunderstorm once and had ten inches of snow one year. We had between 2-5 hunters, wood stove and bunks, worked great. I was always impressed with that tent.

10-Dec-17

ilandhunter's embedded Photo
ilandhunter's embedded Photo
I also use a tent from the Walltent Shop. great product I have side and rear windows, love the cross ventilation.

10-Dec-17

Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Same here as copperman - 12 x 20, Alaknak - with 4 of us plenty of space for 4 bunks and all our totes.

10-Dec-17

Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
A few more

10-Dec-17
Only 3 of us went this year - when 4 of us go, the cot (airbed) in the back turns sideways (we don't use the back door anyway) - still plenty of room.

Watch ebay and craigslist - couple months ago there was a big Alaknak 13 x 27 for sale for $700 on craigslist.

10-Dec-17

joehunter's embedded Photo
joehunter's embedded Photo
Watch Craig's list - i bought a like new 12 x 20 Alaknak for $300. Works great! Used it on 2 hunts so far.

10-Dec-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Some real luxurious camps here!

I have gone more the other way for the last several years. On a one week hunt, I don't want to spent a day setting up and a day tearing down. Many people will say "...I can set it up myself in one hour..", but after being witness to a number of large camps going up, I have to highly doubt that time estimate. Maybe time flies if you're having fun and its fun for you to set up camps, but not me.

I've been using a 14'X14' Eena TT from Beckal Canvass. Single center pole and fore "corner' poles. I have packed this tent in on quad trips and the weight and compact package make it very doable. Even quads and trailers get overloaded without some judicious trimming of gear. And I can set it up by myself in an hour and take down is the same. We slept six in it in late August on a mountain caribou hunt. No wood stove 'cause it was August and should have been warm. Mistake!

This tent is used in BC quite a bit by horse camps and fly-in's because of the weight and compact package, plus no poles to cut or pack, especially important above treeline.

It has withstood Wyoming winds and northern BC snow. A home made propane cylinder wood stove keeps it toasty and dries gear out.

It's not the tent to have a party in and all the cooking and social aspects of a huge wall tent. But I camp so I can hunt, not the other way around.

If packing in on a quad, once a year for one week, I'd likely take the advice above and buy a used Alaknak, Bighorn or similar. You have to consider after season storage to. Canvass is definitely not for everyone.

10-Dec-17

Vids's embedded Photo
Vids's embedded Photo
1. Windows? Some tents come with them I guess nice for light but really needed? Yes on this, mine has a window on the back and it's great for airing it out if it gets smoky inside. 2. Canvas vs other materials ie.. polyester? Mine is canvas, from Davis Tents 3. Water proof? Appears most canvas tents require the addition of a rain fly is this correct? Some advertise “waterproof”. We need rain protection. Mine doesn't have any extra water proofing, the guys at Davis told me I don't need anything more and it sheds snow and water well. Sometimes I throw a tarp over the top, that's nice because it adds a nice entryway. 4. Budget? If you’re going to spend it spend it here or on this option My 12x17 was about $800 before I spent money to build the frame.

12x17 works for up to three guys, but starts getting a little cramped.

10-Dec-17
Go canvas. Take care of it and it'll last a lifetime. Everything else tears easier and causes condensation. Look up The Wall Tent Shop. Angle kits are very reasonable and tree shipping. As an outfitter Ive ysed them all. Davis, Colorado, Montana Canvas etc etc. Wall Tent Shop tents are really nice and the best price too so a no brainer. Rear window is free.

10-Dec-17
Setting up a wall tent takes just a matter of seconds - lol!

10-Dec-17
Nice set up guys! Looked at those Alaknak tents several times the Craig’s list suggest is much appreciated will do for sure.

Inshart you guys don’t spare on comfort! We tend to bring “ it all”also and as we get old comfort has taken a higher and higher place on the priority list.

10-Dec-17
I own a 16 by 20 wall tent, a 12 by 20 alaknak II with vestibule, and a browning glacier extreme. I tell you this to tell you to read Ambush's post. I went the Glacier extreme route this year for deer camp. I love the coal heat in the wall tent and the Alaknak but, it is a dang chore getting it there and set up.

This year, I had my camp unloaded and setup totally in less than an hour. Years past, it took a better part of the day because I brought a truck full and, a trailer loaded full of tent, gear, stove, etc.... I like the comfort of the big tents but, I like hunting a lot more. Just something to consider as a tent like the Glacier Extreme is warm, dry, spacey enough for two cots and gear, and won't kill you in labor and time.

11-Dec-17

Surfbow's Link

11-Dec-17
A lot of good info guys for sure. Totally get your position/ thought about BIG setups WV Mt. I looked up those Browning tents per your post very tempting to say the least. However, as the years pass comfort becomes more and more a priority and those cold rainy/snowy days are no longer hunted anyhow. They are spent hanging out by the fire sharpening broad heads, and telling lies.

Definitely researching all the suggestions and open to any additional info you guys out West may have. Per some post here I searched Craig’s list and very few possible options found here on the east coast. Search out West there are several tents listed. Kinda tuff finding one this side of the Mississippi. thanks...

14-Feb-18
Well guys pulled the trigger on a 14x16 Davis. Researched most out there and keep coming back to Davis. Hard to ignore the consistent high ratings. I’m Sure many of the others mentioned are great also but tend to go with tried and true. Thanks again for the info.

14-Feb-18
One last hint. If you are consistent about putting your tent away dry and storing it in your furnace room, your great grandkids will be using it.

14-Feb-18
I've owned or slept in just about everything out there I think. If I were you I would get a 12x14 or 12x16 wall tent. Canvas hands down. internal frame too....preferably the aluminum tube versions- very nice and they kill the steel conduit versions- I've had both.

I currently have a 12x16 with the 10.7[ ?] ounce treated canvas and its good for 4 guys....with 2 its a palace but can be hard to heat.

Key to these tents is cots with storage underneath. That way everybody's chit is stowed....with room for stove, wood and a table for eating or cooking.

15-Feb-18
Yeah Beendare we use army cost and everyone’s totes slide under out of the way. Probably helps with some sent control also with the clothing either seal in a tote or outside on the line.

15-Feb-18
Yes. Storage UNDER the bed for every man keeps things tidy and clutter free.

16-Feb-18

Kz15's embedded Photo
Kz15's embedded Photo
Under and over storage with my cot set up.

17-Feb-18
Wow Kz, that's a great idea. I'm going to do that!

17-Feb-18
KZ is on to something for sure. Going to have to th8nk about that addition?

17-Feb-18
For those with regular army cots, you can't beat a regular suitcase. Measure the area under your cots and buy accordingly. You'd be surprised at how cheap you can get some at garage sails. I think totes often waste too much space if they have the thick top.

17-Feb-18
Looking closely at KZ15's pic he's using two Cabela's cot trees ($20 ea). I've been using one for years and never thought of this and now will get another one. It appears you just need to make the two long poles to fit over the tops of the cot trees. Nice!

17-Feb-18
Yes, 2 cot trees. 2 old army tent poles length wise. Drilled holes accordingly. Plywood or siding over the top with blocks screwed on them so they won't fall off and they are still small enough to stack when packing them in the truck. I will put duffle bags on top and totes underneath and I can still use the side storage thing. I don't advise taking the Jim Beam to elk camp.

• Sitka Gear