bad karma 23-Dec-17
cnelk 23-Dec-17
tundrajumper 23-Dec-17
lawdy 23-Dec-17
Tooth 24-Dec-17
Jack Harris 24-Dec-17
tundrajumper 24-Dec-17
16-Dec-17
I'm having my family over for Christmas dinner and I'm at a loss for what to cook. We did a great prime rib roast last year, so I don't necessarily want to do that again. Not looking to go the turkey & ham route necessarily. I'm thinking some kind of venison roast, or I've got some goose breasts and a couple whole mallards.

Would love for some new ideas or to just hear about what you all are making for your Christmas meals

16-Dec-17
I always do a whole roasted goose and a ham. The goose recipe I use is Gordon Ramsey's Christmas roast goose it's pretty good.

16-Dec-17
We are doing pheasant this year!

16-Dec-17
Moose flank Florentine. Blue fin tuna, king crab legs this Christmas.

16-Dec-17
King crab legs

16-Dec-17
I just made Hank Shaw's corned venison roast, it was absolutely awesome, HIGHLY recommend it!

16-Dec-17
Venison or even stuff like prime rib is tough for me with big holiday gatherings because approximately half of the population including family wants their meat incinerated to gray shoe leather and not coincidentally, venison is "gamey" to them at that point. If it's properly cooked to medium rare they act like it's going to kill them. One option is multiple entrees. Good quality seafood is a Christmas worthy option. Really can't go wrong with a quality ham either but that's not something I eat regularly.

16-Dec-17
King crab legs and beef tenderloin. It they want it cooked past medium rare, they can have the end pieces or cook 2 different pieces to different doneness. I'm not wasting my venison on people who will turn their nose up or won't appreciate it.

Smoked salmon deviled eggs for appetizers!

17-Dec-17
Smoked salmon deviled eggs sound great for an appetizer! I'm not so worried about people's preferences on doneness. I'm going to look a little more at doing a roast. The corned roast sounds good, I think I would need to start curing it today tho to have it ready by Christmas.

17-Dec-17
Trial, can I come to your place for Christmas? Sounds great!!!!

How are you making your blue fin? I’m headed out in March to hopefully get my second helping!!

Moose also?!? Wow!!!!

17-Dec-17
I'm thinking about cooking up some 'possum. My place is infested with em and they hassle my cats. I don't know, maybe I'll cook up some possum and chitlins and feed it all to the cats.

17-Dec-17
I'll be doing elk lasagna for Christmas Eve and elk roast and turkey for Christmas dinner

17-Dec-17
Rolled stuffed venison roast. Butterfly a rear roast, I brush olive oil, pesto, saute onions, peppers and add some Italian bread crumbs. Roll up and tie with string. Some wrap with bacon weaved together so it stays together. 325 degrees in oven for 30 min per pound. Kids fight over it.

18-Dec-17

olebuck's embedded Photo
olebuck's embedded Photo
Bone in whitetail venison chops.

18-Dec-17
Pork crown rib over cubed potatoes fat runs down on potatoes and crisps them.

19-Dec-17

Fuzz's embedded Photo
Fire grilled
Fuzz's embedded Photo
Fire grilled
Tooth, a great appetizer that can be prepped ahead then grilled right before eating is Gouda Balls. Loin chops pounded thin, seasoned then wrapped around a chunk of smoked gouda or pepper jack. Wrap in a slice of bacon and skewered w a few tooth picks. Grill until bacon crispy and cheese just starts to ooze. Everyone I've fed these to say it's the best venison there ever had.

Note: Smoked gouda has a higher melt temp so it doesn't ooze too soon like the unsmoked can.

I am thinking that w my next batch I'm going to add a jalapeño paste inside w the cheese.

19-Dec-17

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
I’ve made these “moose bites” three times in the last three weeks and each time I’ve had a hard time getting one before they are vacuumed up. Moose has been unreal. When your fingers can peel apart the striations when it is raw you know it’s gonna be good!

19-Dec-17
We have my wife's " you won't believe it's Goose" every year. Really good!

22-Dec-17

tobywon's embedded Photo
tobywon's embedded Photo
This is the stuffed venison roast I mentioned above. Just made it for my father-in-law. Everyone loved it.

22-Dec-17
I don't waste my wild game on relatives that won't enjoy it...

This year I'm making a prime rib, and smoking a crown pork roast and a couple of chickens.

Some of these ideas sound really good for next year.

22-Dec-17
Every Christmas Eve I saute shrimp and scallops in garlic butter with green peppers and mushrooms. Served with long grain and wild rice.

This year only 8 of us, but it has been as high as 20. Riesling, White Merlot and some other German white wines seem to also be part of the menu.

Good luck!

22-Dec-17
2 Smoked Prime rib roasts- one is 22lbs and one is 11lbs...Rare of course and a side of Moose tenderloins for me and the misses. We had Elk Back-straps baked in a wonderful whiskey maple marinade last night... YUMMY! I love this time of year!

God Bless and Merry Christmas Brothers!

22-Dec-17
I will be packing the smoker with racks of pork ribs and a couple hams. As said above most of my (non living with me) family does not care for game so will feed em pork and save the back straps for me.

22-Dec-17
As a side dish I try to smoke a duck for each of us and a goose for all of us. Put the goose in 2 hours before the ducks.

23-Dec-17
Hmmmm all this stuff sure sounds good especially since I know I’ll be eating chinese airline food. Flying out of Chengdu Christmas Day to Bejing en route to Chicago. But on a bright note Hainan Airlines can discriminate the hell out of their employees so ALL the stewardesses look like super models!

23-Dec-17
For several years, it has been a tradition for me to make a big pot of shrimp/crab gumbo. This year, I am also making a pot of the free dinner we do at the Fellowship House. As of yesterday, we estimate we will feed about 75-people, there. You should see the pot I am using. I'm figuring about 20-gallons. Got a big cooler full of shrimp and crab thawing out and will start chopping the trinity Sunday. House is goingt to smell some good. But making that much roux is work. This year, for us at home, I am also making a platter of braised deer tips in a sauce dip I have come to love. I combine real butter, lemon juice and Caesar salad dressing, melded and well combined for the dressing. Braise the meat until rare in butter, oil and chopped onions, garlic and bell pepper, well seasoned. Then just serve on toothpicks with dip in the center. Great horse de over.

23-Dec-17
Tobywon, that looks fantastic!

23-Dec-17
There are certainly some great recipes here on Bowsite.

Could almost do a Bowsite Cookbook...

23-Dec-17
Treeline is on to something. Everyone should post up all kinds of wild game recipes with pics. Would be worthwhile.......

23-Dec-17
I just crusied through and saw Cnelk already started a recipe thread. Ha:)

23-Dec-17
We are doing a "Mexican food" Christmas, at my parents home. I'm making about 20 venison enchiladas. They will all be gone!

23-Dec-17

bad karma's Link
Lots of good ideas above. I'll give you another, for roast.

Add more chocolate than this recipe calls for, and it makes on heck of a good mole.....I did it with a pronghorn hind quarter and it was addictively good.

23-Dec-17
I smoked 3 pork tenderloins with apple chips last night for 8 people.

225degrees for 2 hrs. Easy.

Woah that that some good stuff

23-Dec-17
WE'RE HAVING MOOSE ROOST AND POLISH CABBAGE ROLLS. THE ROAST WE DO IN OUR PRESSURE POT: FLOUR AND SEASON ON ALL SIDES, ADD CHOPPED ONION AND BROWN FOR 30 MINUTES ON BROWN SETTING, YOU ONLY USE ABOUT 1AND 1/HALF TABLESPOONS OF OLIVE OIL. COVER WITH 2 CANS OF MUSHROOM SOUP (FOR GRAVY) SEAL AND COOK FOR 50 MINUTES. SERVE WITH MASHED POTATOS AND A VEGGIE. YUM!!

23-Dec-17
Just my wife and I. Milk and butter poached Newfy cod and halibut. Venison mincemeat pie, squash, mashed potatoes, and garden peas. My wife makes blueberry grunt poured over buttermilk biscuits. We also have cloudberry grunt. It was a tossup between cod and the Atlantic salmon we brought back. Cod won.

24-Dec-17
My dad is making homemade red sauce w meatballs & Italian sausage today.

Getting some braciole ready now to throw in the pot when I get there. I used a venison roast off the hind quarter, I can't wait to try this! Merry Christmas!

24-Dec-17
I am making venison poppers. I cubed some venison (beat my meat), cut into strips, soaking toothpicks, have jalapeno peppers to slice. Meat was seasoned with greek seasoning and marinated overnight with Italian dressing. It is drained now, will wrap each strip around a pepper slice, then wrap outside with bacon and skewer with toothpick - to be grilled for Christmas eve appetizers...

24-Dec-17
LOST FOR WORDS

• Sitka Gear