TrapperKayak 17-Nov-20
BUCKeye 17-Nov-20
TrapperKayak 17-Nov-20
BUCKeye 04-Dec-20
DonVathome 05-Dec-20
19-Dec-17

DonVathome's embedded Photo
Got it on antlers from elk to deer and everything in between. What is it and what is the best way to clean it?

19-Dec-17

19-Dec-17
you have a bigger issue than your antlers with that stuff in the house

19-Dec-17
Yep. If it's on the antlers, there's probably another source. Spores travel quickly through HVAC.

19-Dec-17
You have a air exchange problem if your house is wrapped tight, it needs to breath and may have to get an air exchanger. Mold can make a person feel ill or along with other health problems. Get the home tested to determine the source, I had to take down 2/3 of my home in 05 because of mold and that is another story.

19-Dec-17
Mo issues anywhere else. I own many rentals and I have rehabbed over 60 homes many with mold. There are no other mold issues in my house and never have been. This stuff has been there for a few years.

19-Dec-17
I would wipe down with mold killing chemical from a restoration company like ServePro etc.....maybe they'd sell you a bottle. At least it would prevent the treated surface (antler) from coming back.

19-Dec-17
So you've rehabbed over 60 houses with mold and you're asking about mold on antlers?

19-Dec-17
I don't think SERVPRO will sell a bottle (I work for them), but you can get something fairly similar from other places. Home Depot probably has a botanical based antimicrobial that will do the trick.

19-Dec-17
Move to Montana

19-Dec-17
I had that EXACT same thing on my antlers at the last house I lived in. I just wiped it off. I also had efflorescence coming through the concrete floor (basement). You don't have that around by chance eh? I also had no mold problems anywhere else in the house, so i don't think it's a big deal.

19-Dec-17
Bleach!

ElkNut/Paul

19-Dec-17
I still believe in bleach and water even though it’s pretty much been ruled out as ineffective against mold.

Choncrobium is definitely your best bet.

I saw a post here roughly a decade ago or someone had the same problem. I rehab 60 homes but zero antlers and trophy rooms. I like blue cheese, which is mold, so maybe I should try to eat it?

19-Dec-17
I had similar issues in our trophy room about 18 months ago. I treated the antlers and skulls with mild mix of bleach and water.

The room is in our basement, had zero water intrusion (windows, doors etc) and its own ac/heat unit.

Installed a dehumidifier and set it on 60% humidity and 72 degrees year round.

Have had zero problems since.

19-Dec-17
I bet it’s Robb’s fault!

20-Dec-17
Now that’s funny Hunt!

20-Dec-17
Scrape it off and "dry age" some steaks with it...:)

20-Dec-17
Wipe it down with some fresh bread. Works every time.

06-Aug-20
ow, this is awful. I have the same problem and I don't know how to fix it

06-Aug-20
Leave it. It adds mass to your antlers. ;-)

06-Aug-20
Baking soda.

06-Aug-20
what is the science that says it is possible to have a mold infestation in a place and it only effects antlers. is that really even possible? If it were not for those antlers there would not be a mold spore in the place??

07-Aug-20
Not just antlers obviously it is other places. I just checked them. I hit everything with concrobium a couple years ago. It is all completly gone. Concrobium is the best thing for mold. Better then bleach & water - Katrina taught us about mold. I use it when i rehab homes often. They well it as most hardware stores.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Concrobium-32-oz-Mold-Control-025326/100654126

15-Nov-20
I just found identical issue at my house and I only see it on antlers and skulls of euro mounts. I dont see the mold on any other surface or item in my basement. Definitely seems to be growing only on deer antlers and skulls.

16-Nov-20
Choncrobium fixed it for me! It did not damage anything horns, capes, paint oh, flooring. Lots of different mounts all were fine. Lowes and depot carry it.

16-Nov-20
Thanks Don, I ordered some. Do you wipe it off after spraying? Theres so many nooks and crannies on all my euro mounts I wont be able to 100% cover every square millimeter nor wipe it all off. Wondering if I need to spray inside skulls too.

17-Nov-20
Dawn and warm water rubbed with cloth or sponge.... dry and rub with suede side of piece of leater to restore shine...

17-Nov-20
"Leave it. It adds mass to your antlers. ;-) " Whatdaya want that 'velvet antler' look???

17-Nov-20
Some of my racks have a dark, almost Canadian-buck chocolate color, and I am very worried about discoloration. The spray is supposed to arrive today. I put up a plastic curtain around the portion of basement I will be spraying in.

17-Nov-20
Don't use bleach then, it will lighten the dark antlers.

04-Dec-20
I sprayed the choncrobium (soaked them pretty good), waited 2 days and did it a second time. There are still the white mold spots on all the antlers. Do I go ahead and wipe them down and expect it to not return? I assumed I wanted to leave the product dried on the antlers for long term protection?

05-Dec-20
I am not sure if I wiped them down or not. If they did not go away I would wipe them down and spray again jsut in case. Please report back here for others in the future how it goes. My problem is gone now.

• Sitka Gear