Contributors to this thread:
Mold on antlers how to clean
Got it on antlers from elk to deer and everything in between. What is it and what is the best way to clean it?
you have a bigger issue than your antlers with that stuff in the house
Yep. If it's on the antlers, there's probably another source. Spores travel quickly through HVAC.
You have a air exchange problem if your house is wrapped tight, it needs to breath and may have to get an air exchanger. Mold can make a person feel ill or along with other health problems. Get the home tested to determine the source, I had to take down 2/3 of my home in 05 because of mold and that is another story.
Mo issues anywhere else. I own many rentals and I have rehabbed over 60 homes many with mold. There are no other mold issues in my house and never have been. This stuff has been there for a few years.
I would wipe down with mold killing chemical from a restoration company like ServePro etc.....maybe they'd sell you a bottle. At least it would prevent the treated surface (antler) from coming back.
So you've rehabbed over 60 houses with mold and you're asking about mold on antlers?
I don't think SERVPRO will sell a bottle (I work for them), but you can get something fairly similar from other places. Home Depot probably has a botanical based antimicrobial that will do the trick.
I had that EXACT same thing on my antlers at the last house I lived in. I just wiped it off. I also had efflorescence coming through the concrete floor (basement). You don't have that around by chance eh? I also had no mold problems anywhere else in the house, so i don't think it's a big deal.
I still believe in bleach and water even though it’s pretty much been ruled out as ineffective against mold.
Choncrobium is definitely your best bet.
I saw a post here roughly a decade ago or someone had the same problem. I rehab 60 homes but zero antlers and trophy rooms. I like blue cheese, which is mold, so maybe I should try to eat it?
I had similar issues in our trophy room about 18 months ago. I treated the antlers and skulls with mild mix of bleach and water.
The room is in our basement, had zero water intrusion (windows, doors etc) and its own ac/heat unit.
Installed a dehumidifier and set it on 60% humidity and 72 degrees year round.
Have had zero problems since.
Scrape it off and "dry age" some steaks with it...:)
Wipe it down with some fresh bread. Works every time.
ow, this is awful. I have the same problem and I don't know how to fix it
Leave it. It adds mass to your antlers. ;-)
what is the science that says it is possible to have a mold infestation in a place and it only effects antlers. is that really even possible? If it were not for those antlers there would not be a mold spore in the place??
Not just antlers obviously it is other places. I just checked them. I hit everything with concrobium a couple years ago. It is all completly gone. Concrobium is the best thing for mold. Better then bleach & water - Katrina taught us about mold. I use it when i rehab homes often. They well it as most hardware stores.
I just found identical issue at my house and I only see it on antlers and skulls of euro mounts. I dont see the mold on any other surface or item in my basement. Definitely seems to be growing only on deer antlers and skulls.
Choncrobium fixed it for me! It did not damage anything horns, capes, paint oh, flooring. Lots of different mounts all were fine. Lowes and depot carry it.
Thanks Don, I ordered some. Do you wipe it off after spraying? Theres so many nooks and crannies on all my euro mounts I wont be able to 100% cover every square millimeter nor wipe it all off. Wondering if I need to spray inside skulls too.
Dawn and warm water rubbed with cloth or sponge.... dry and rub with suede side of piece of leater to restore shine...
"Leave it. It adds mass to your antlers. ;-) " Whatdaya want that 'velvet antler' look???
Some of my racks have a dark, almost Canadian-buck chocolate color, and I am very worried about discoloration. The spray is supposed to arrive today. I put up a plastic curtain around the portion of basement I will be spraying in.
Don't use bleach then, it will lighten the dark antlers.
I sprayed the choncrobium (soaked them pretty good), waited 2 days and did it a second time. There are still the white mold spots on all the antlers. Do I go ahead and wipe them down and expect it to not return? I assumed I wanted to leave the product dried on the antlers for long term protection?
I am not sure if I wiped them down or not. If they did not go away I would wipe them down and spray again jsut in case. Please report back here for others in the future how it goes. My problem is gone now.