Hunt98 27-Dec-17
IdyllwildArcher 27-Dec-17
Huntcell 27-Dec-17
WV Mountaineer 27-Dec-17
eddie c 27-Dec-17
Hunt98 27-Dec-17
snapcrackpop 27-Dec-17
26-Dec-17
After sitting in a deer stand for 2-4 hours, my feet will be a little bit cold. But when I get down and walk around/back to my truck my toes will get colder by quite a bit. Why do my feet get colder while walking after sitting for a while?

26-Dec-17
How tight are your boots? Do you wear cotton socks?

26-Dec-17
If anything my boots are somewhat loose. No, I don’t wear cotton socks. I’ve notice it when temps get down to 35F and under. At 30 degrees and above I wear Meindl boots. Below 30 degrees I switch to Sorel or other pack boot type.

26-Dec-17
That sounds like a circulation problem. Your sitting in your stand static...then as you move to the truck you blood starts pumping and your toes start to ache from the cold. Do your toes feel like they are swollen in your boots? After they warm up to they tingle and itch?

26-Dec-17
I don't know then. It sounds like you use the right kind of socks and boots sized so that your feet have good circulation. For me it's the opposite. If I sit and my feet get cold they warm right up when I start walking a bit. Sorry. I'll be watching to see what others have to say.

27-Dec-17
Mostly it’s both my big toes. They don’t feel like they are swollen but start to get colder/lose the feeling in them. Yes, they will tingle as they warm up. It might be a circulation issue. I’m not getting any younger. It might also be from my toes getting (short of calling it frost bite) very cold over the years.

27-Dec-17
Is it accompanied by any pain? Do you ever wake up at night with pain or tingling or cold feet/toes? Have you ever looked at your toes when they get cold while you walk and noticed that they're pale/white?

27-Dec-17
Do you have low pain threshold? Perhaps nothing to worry about. When sitting on stand do you try wiggling toes after hour or so ? Do you experience discomfort then. You need better insulation from the cold as your body is slowing the blood flow to extremities in order to conserve core heat. Go on stand with full stomach as this helps in generating heat during periods of inactivity be sure your head and neck are well protect as one loses a lot of heat from these areas with out realizing it. If can keep your hands, feet and head warm you can stay out longer and I lower temps. It’s normal if sitting motionless for along time and then one starts moving to feel a chill come over ones body, as now the blood that was near surface area is coursing throughout the body causing this chilling phenomenon. Should be a short term duration. But if your feeling pain and or tingling sensation in extremities sounds like symtons of onset frostbite. What is your position while on stand perhaps your reduceing circulation to your feet due to the seat edge or bad angle or position of bent legs. These will only contribute to your discomfort once you start moving again. Of course you could have underlying poor circulation problem. Which only hasten your discomfort along with pervious mention points. How do I know? I don’t! It’s what I consider when it happens to me.

Besides I Just returned from the Holiday In and this very subject was covered. what a coincidence! ;). >>>>>———->

27-Dec-17
Answer Ike. He’s a doc.

27-Dec-17
this is just my observation on my own feet. I know I have some circulation issues from the knees down, especially when my knees are bent. and being overweight makes it worse. I know it's not sitting still but every few minutes I will out stretch my legs, one at a time, for a few minutes to help with the blood flow. I've noticed if my feet cool down, the warmth in my boots will cool down. my feet aren't keeping my boots warm. I get the same cold feeling in my feet when I start walking after sitting still for some time. I figured it was the cold foot tissue is transferring the cold to the blood is giving me this feeling and once my feet get warmed up again that feeling is gone. I use the chemical toe warmers or the insole warmers to help keep the boots warm.

27-Dec-17
To answer some of the above questions. No I have not looked at my toes after getting back to my truck to look for signs of frostbite. But I will in the future. I have semi frozen my earlobes as a teenager. Not to the point where there turn black or blister. But to the point where the skin peels like from a sun burn. In an effort to move less, I sit 99% of the time. If I stand I tend to move more. I do wiggle my toes often to keep them warm. I switch the contact points from time to time on the bottom of my boots to where they come in contact with the cold metal of the stands. Around 15 degrees I use the chemical toe warmers but it seems my toes still get numb while walking. I do eat something before I go hunting... fuel for the fire. Generally, I’m not sleepy tired before I climb into a stand.

It’s almost like the warm air is being ‘squished’ out of the boot and is being replaced by cold air while walking. My pac boots I just lace them up loosely so I can slide them on and off without tieing them. My pant legs always goes over the boots.

27-Dec-17
Either a sign of previous frost bite or poor circulation. Better get to the MD for testing so you don't get a blood clot.

• Sitka Gear