Mark Watkins 29-Dec-17
Vids 29-Dec-17
lawdy 29-Dec-17
LKH 29-Dec-17
TMA1010 29-Dec-17
Scrappy 29-Dec-17
LKH 30-Dec-17
29-Dec-17
I'm in NW IL and they're calling for snow all day long starting here pretty quick (it's 9:15 AM right now). We're supposed to get 4-6 inches and it's supposed to taper off around 4:00 PM. I went out on Christmas evening and the deer were coming out starting around 3:30 PM or so the snow should be ending about the time the deer have been coming out to feed. Temps are supposed to be around 17 and the winds are forecasted for NE 2 mph after the snow, so basically no wind. I'd be hunting out of a ground blind over a picked corn field where a bunch of deer, and specifically one mature buck I've been after all year, have been feeding regularly the last week or so.

What's everyone's opinion on what this snow system will do to the deer today? Do you think they'll come out and feed this evening at their normal time? Will they just stay bedded or will they get up early to come out and feed? If we get that much snow the drive home will be a little dicey, so I'm kind of on the fence about going. I have a feeling it could be a pretty incredible hunt though if the weather does what they say it's going to do. I'd like to hear what you guys think though.

29-Dec-17
I love to still hunt bedding areas during heavy snow. Much easier to get in close. Plus its tons of fun and you don’t get cold!

29-Dec-17
Be out there when the snow stops.

29-Dec-17
You can’t kill them in the house. I’d go expecting an incredible hunt if the snow tapers off before dark. I’d go anyways. God Bless

29-Dec-17
I’d hunt. Only ill effect I’ve ever had is the first snow over dirt ground. I think the deer feel very exposed. Other than that I love it. Sounds like it should taper off into prime time anyways. If you kill something it will be a memory for the bank for sure. My most memorable hunts have Usually been stormy weather

29-Dec-17
I'd give a thought to some extra precautions regarding the drive home.... tow rope, fully charged cell phone, full gas tank, maybe a thermos of hot soup in the car/truck in case you have to spend a while in it awaiting help or caught in a highway clog due to the weather.

Aside from that.... go! As pointed out above, they won't be strolling past your Lazy-Boy!

Should be at least a beautiful sight to watch, and likely productive. Sounds like perfect conditions for bloodtrailing if needed, and for seeing them.

29-Dec-17
I personally love deer hunting when it is snowing.Most times the deer will be on their feet when it first starts and just after it quits.Hunting a corn field out of a ground blind would be ideal.

29-Dec-17
Great points Russ. I think you guys talked me into it. I'm going to get out there and give it a shot. Cell coverage is a little spotty but I'll try to post some pics of the hunt this afternoon if I can.

Heading to go pick up a little heater unit for the blind and then I'm going to get out there. Thanks for the input!

29-Dec-17
That buck will add weight to the back of your truck for the slick drive home. Get out there and good luck.

29-Dec-17
I've killed a couple when it was snowing and when it was a steady drizzle. I think bad weather brings them on their feet to feed more.

29-Dec-17
I love sitting at the start of a snowstorm and watching the woods turn white and partially red is always a bonus.

29-Dec-17

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
I love hunting in the snow!

29-Dec-17
Yep, snowing like crazy here in Illinois (1pm). I’ll head out around 3:)

29-Dec-17
I hunted Xmas day here and it was snowing lightly, very lightly all afternoon and I seen the most movement I seen all year, but I was in woods not on an AG field. If I could be out hunting I would, it's over for me here, stupid mandatory overtime!

29-Dec-17
How far do you have to drive? I just now got home from going on a service call. I got out on the interstate for less than a mile when they started wrecking in from of me. I slowed down, but cars behind me weren’t slowing down quickly enough, so they started wrecking behind and around me. I had to ease way over to the right, or the pickup that came sliding sideways past me would have plowed into my truck. We’re getting the same snow that you will be.

The good news is, I didn’t get hit, plus I canceled the service call, so now I’ll be able to go out this afternoon too! I’d suggest going out a little earlier than usual. They may be up on their feet early. That way, you shouldn’t bugger them getting into your stand. Good luck & stay safe going home!

29-Dec-17
If you have the chance to go hunting and you don't go.....

Dope Slap!!

I LOVE hunting in a snowstorm.

29-Dec-17
The only negative I can see is the light wind. It's very easy for the wind to settle and drift around.

29-Dec-17

TMA1010's embedded Photo
TMA1010's embedded Photo
T-Roy - thankfully I have zero interstate miles to drive. It's about 25 miles on a 2-lane county highway, which hopefully won't have too much traffic on it after dark. My guess is the drive won't be too bad as long as the wind doesn't kick up.

I made it into my blind, there were a bunch of turkeys out in the field when I got here so they have the snow all knocked down in front of the blind, hopefully that gives the deer a clue to come over and feed here too. Right now it's a nice steady snow, getting about 3/4" an hour.

Picture is my view from the blind.

Oh, and this little heater I got is pretty sweet, two long sleeve Kuiu layering shirts and no coat is pretty comfy!

29-Dec-17
I love hunting in the snow, usually see the best movement after the snow stops and the cold front moves in.

However, I did fulfill a three year quest of killing a P&Y deer from the ground, no ground blind this year in a snowstorm. An old buck that scored 156 6/8" gross green.

Mark

29-Dec-17
Two years ago in Pike County I sat through a blizzard that lasted all morning, as soon as it stopped I shot an eight point. I love hunting snow storms.

29-Dec-17
The nastier, the better for tracking. I watched a deer I was tracking bed in a wild snowstorm. Every time the wind made a whiteout I moved closer. Shot him at about 20 feet when the wind let up for a second and I could see him. With the snow blowing every where I didn't wait to track him down. The wind covers sound and screws up their scenting. The best time to hunt for a groundpounder.

29-Dec-17

LKH's embedded Photo
LKH's embedded Photo
Yesterday. MT shoulder season. Shooter is a Coast Guard Academy midshipman. 2 crow miles from the road in 3-15" crusted post hole snow. Let the rest run off. Thank god there were 4 of us. I'm the 70 year old on the end. Not sure I've got that many more packs left in me.

This is the kind of snow hunting I like.

29-Dec-17
Well it's almost 4 (when the snow was supposed to be done) and it's still snowing pretty good. No deer on their feet yet, makes me wonder if they're waiting until it quits, and if that's the case it might be my first hunt this season without seeing one. Got about an hour left!

29-Dec-17
Well I feel cheated all I got today over here in western iowa was freezing fog that started about 1100 right after I shot a doe.

30-Dec-17
This pm it was about 5 below. Had been snowing for about 24 hours, some wind, snow set up. I have some traps set and decided to walk around with the .22-250 to see if I had caught anything..

Made about 250 yards, turned around and came back to the house. -5 and 10mph was more than I wanted to deal with.

• Sitka Gear