Windwalker 07-Jan-18
Sling Shot 07-Jan-18
Bowboy 13-Jan-18
Dino 13-Jan-18
Charlie Rehor 13-Jan-18
wyobullshooter 13-Jan-18
Dino 13-Jan-18
02-Jan-18
Anyone have experience shooting and hunting with a resistance activated release like the Carter Evolution? I've shot a trigger release (Carter Quickie) for years, and I try very hard to achieve a "surprise" release. I have some success in practice with a surprise release, but typically default to trigger punching most of the time under hunting conditions. So I'm wondering if a resistance release might help.

02-Jan-18
I used to shoot an Evolution for indoor target shooting. I wouldn't use it for hunting myself. It would probably fire as soon as I hit the safety "off" with all the added adrenaline of hunting. They make a wrist strap release that functions the opposite of the Evo that would be better suited for hunting. Pressure holds it, and you have to relax to set it off. I don't remember the name right now.

02-Jan-18
The only negative to the resistance activated release is that it is unforgiving of variances in the shot process. If you have some form break down it will show.

Personally...I would use it for training and shoot a thumb or a hinge.

02-Jan-18
I shoot and hunt with the Stan Element release. No issue whatsoever hunting with it. Shot quite a few animals with it. I've had both and think the Stan release is more consistent than the Carter Evolution.

02-Jan-18

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Practice with the Silverback, hunt with the Nock2it. I got these too close to season last year so didn't get to spend enough time with the Silverback. This will be my winter basement shooting practice.

The Siverback, like other tension releases, will show you when your form starts to collapse. You'll swear the damn poundage got cranked up some how and you can't get it to fire but what's really happening is your front shoulder is collapsing back.

I like how they are virtually identical in shape and feel so my anchor remains exactly the same switching between the two.

04-Jan-18
If you are hunting and able to draw your bow with no compromises in form sure, you can use a resistance activated release. I tried it last spring in my turkey blind and found it very difficult for me to maintain the bone to bone skeletal form required. I will use the resistance activated release for everything else including 3D, I will use my thumb release for hunting and practice with it just enough to be comfortable.Once I start using my thumb release I will gradually go back to anticipating the shot. I will do all other shooting with my resistance activated release. Just a couple other things I noted in the turkey blind with my resistance activated release,. Difficult to hook up release in the dark. No way to keep release hanging on string loop once I did get hooked up.

04-Jan-18
I would definitely not hunt with a resistance release. I think a good thumb release would work also. The Nock 2 it and Silverback would be a good choice. Go to an archery shop that carries quite a few and try them out since everyone has a different feel.

07-Jan-18
My experience is very similar to Ron Murphy's. Last spring I tried hunting turkeys with a Stan Element which I shot very well with in 3-D shoots. But when a nice Tom came in I drew and was in the process of aiming when the release fired just as I let off the safety. Hit the bird in the body with a Bullhead when my intentions were to make a head shot. All I got was a bunch of feathers. I will only use a tension- activated release in practice and 3-D shoots, never in hunting. For that I prefer a thumb trigger release.

07-Jan-18
I have both, the Evolution and the Nock To It. The Evolution is just fine for practice but for hunting it's the Nock To It all the way. Google John Dudley on YouTube. There are some real good videos he has posted.

13-Jan-18

Bowboy's Link
Here's new tension activated release Carter came out with for 2018. Has a safety button.

13-Jan-18
I struggled with TP for years. Worked through a number of things, the best thing I found was John Dudley and his approach to working releases. The Silverback is an awesome release...I shoot it mainly and hunt with the Nock2it. Sometimes, I simply hunt with the SB and I have shot some critters with it.

13-Jan-18
I don’t see how guys get a surprise release in a hunting situation. Must have to let down often as animal moves off?

13-Jan-18
Charlie, I’ve been using a surprise release since 2008. Not once has it ever cost me a shot. The great thing is, when I do shoot, it hits where I want.

That all said, I don’t hunt jittery WT’s.

One thing to keep in mind. For some of us, a surprise release isn’t just an option...it’s the only option. If I started using a command release, I know that TP demon would raise it’s ugly head and be ready to pounce!

13-Jan-18
Wyo! Great explanation. Thank you.

• Sitka Gear