greg simon 12-Jan-18
Beendare 12-Jan-18
Alzy 12-Jan-18
jims 12-Jan-18
Alzy 12-Jan-18
TreeWalker 12-Jan-18
LKH 12-Jan-18
11-Jan-18
I’m considering a drop hunt for moose in northern BC. I hunt solo 95% of the time-it started primarily because none of my friends bow hunted; I grew to love the time spent outdoors alone. What are your thoughts on a 10 day solo hunt from the shores of a secluded lake in northern B.C.? (Assuming I have all necessary gear, sat phone and canoe).

11-Jan-18
Sure, why not? Just be prepared to handle an animal down by yourself. Lot's of us do it. Just wear a life jacket on the water and keep a dry fire kit.

11-Jan-18
I agree...just keep in mind you are by yourself and you have to think through situations as there is no help. Don`t go ANYWHERE with out a survival kit and have at it. Nothing more satisfying than doing it solo. Just get ready for people trying to talk you out of it. lol

11-Jan-18
Go for it. I have done solo back packpack archery hunts for stone sheep, deer, black bears etc in BC.

Moose are a load when you kill one. Northern BC moose are similar in size to Alaskan Yukon moose. I would figure about 10 - 12 backpack trip loads of meat to the lake shore. Grizzlies are a very real issue so be prepared with a shotgun or rifle along with bear spray.

Good luck!

11-Jan-18
Wife, kids, brothers, and mom all think it’s a terrible idea.

11-Jan-18
Hell yeah. I find the only hard part about hunting alone are the nights. I have to fight the boredom of not having anybody to talk to. I love hunting alone though.

11-Jan-18
Take a rented sat phone too let them know you are ok each night.

12-Jan-18
One of the all time great threads on bowsite is a solo moose hunt. With that said, you better know what you are getting into before you sign up. Moose are huge and 10 solitary days will test you like no other. If you proceed I would say a sat phone is mandatory. Best of luck with your decision and please keep us posted!

12-Jan-18
"Wife, kids, brothers, and mom all think it’s a terrible idea." My wife got first Life insurance policy when I went a grizzly hunt and the second when I went on a solo sheep hunt when my son was nine days old. Today she has immense respect for how I hunt. Go do your hunt, and be prepared enjoy regardless the outcome. It is a rare thing to not walk in another man's shadow!

12-Jan-18
If that's where I lived..... that's what I'd do. But a 10 day hunt in reality becomes a 7 day hunt solo as it might take 2 or 3 days to deal with everything if/when you knock one down. Make it two weeks..... =D

12-Jan-18

Busta'Ribs's Link
See link...

12-Jan-18
Being alone is a lost part of life these days. Glad you're unafraid! It’s lonely alone:)

12-Jan-18
Go for it! Good luck!

12-Jan-18
I went to Alaska and killed a moose solo its a hell of a job to do solo. Go for is and let use know how it goes.

12-Jan-18
If you have done something similar in a less remote location, and know what you are up against taking care of a downed moose, go for it. I assume the first one is a no-brainer if you hunt 95% of the time alone.

12-Jan-18
Theres a few threads on Bowsite from some guys who have done exactly what you are looking into. I'd contact them with a PM but I encourage you to go for it. Good luck.

12-Jan-18

Treeline's Link

12-Jan-18
My only "conern" if you could call it that is dealing with the animal. It's not really a "concern" it's just something you need to be prepared for. Will you have a canoe or raft with you? What happens if he drops in the water? I'd love to know what the percentage of all moose that died in the water is. If you are hunting close to water, there's prob a 50% chance they die in the water. If the moose doesn't die in the water I really don't think it's any concern at all. It's just more work than an elk. Of course assuming you are fit and half-ways strong. I would have no hesitation to do it solo. Cutting up a moose on dry ground goes about 4-5x faster than if they drop in the water.

12-Jan-18
If I lived in BC I wouldn’t hesitate. As a non-res it’s not possible. That said, I prefer to have at least one trusted ally along for comraderie.

12-Jan-18
Get a Garmin InReach. The pilots like them better today than a Sat phone at least who I fly with out of Dease Lake. Less chance for a garbled confused message. I text with pilots and family/friends all the time when I am up there. Get the unlimited plan.

Again, a solo northern trip is a good way to test and learn about yourself!

12-Jan-18
If you have the skills go do it. The only people who will tell you it is impossible or a bad idea are those who don't have the skills to do it!

12-Jan-18
Yeah, after doing a alaskan drop camp last year....I would do a solo trip for moose.

The guys bring up a good point; thinking through the logistics of handling a very big animal solo. Items like a packraft, rope and pulleys, sled, etc....all might be necessary

12-Jan-18
Let’s expand on requirements and skills: navigation, fit, strength for heavy loads, deboning, mental toughness, proper gear, survival skills, bear aware.........

12-Jan-18
It's probably a stupid question but are you a BC resident? Not sure if you live in the US you can go unguided in BC?

12-Jan-18
I live in BC.

12-Jan-18
I used a Spot device on a remote hunt a decade ago. If went today would use the InReach. My family could track my movement from their computer. I told them if I was moving every few hours during daylight they could rest easy. Unless a grizzly was dragging me around the mountain. Wife did not laugh at that zinger. All went well. If did not go well then they had an idea where to search. Seems like every year out West a hunter vanishes and 100s risk their lives to locate the person/body. That is selfish. Give people a target search area. Will be good for the searchers, if something goes wrong, which probably will not be an issue. But, could.

12-Jan-18
I've gone alone for 8-14 days. The 14 was before all the Spot type devices. Now I have a Spot and am glad for it. You should be aware that it's pretty easy to get into places where Spot does not work. Deep timber, some canyons are dead zones.

Besides the 911 type message, set it up so if you aren't heard from for xx days, they come looking. Arrange for some type physical thing that can be seen from a plane to signal "I'm okay" and "help me". A tarp with silver and red side can work well.

I've never done a moose alone and that's a challenge all by itself. Set reasonable distances where you can pack it all out alone.

• Sitka Gear