Mossyhorn 14-Jan-18
coyote13 14-Jan-18
Whip 14-Jan-18
TreeWalker 14-Jan-18
Mossyhorn 14-Jan-18
ACB 14-Jan-18
splitlimb13 14-Jan-18
14-Jan-18
My dad came to me, asking about what it would take to hunt New Mexico elk. I explained the draw process and how hard it is to get a good tag. I then explained the landowner tags and how you can purchase, but I don’t know what you can realistically get one for? I know they can vary greatly.

Now my dad isn’t in very good shape and I’m not sure how many years he has left in him to hunt elk. He hasn’t been hunting with us cause he can’t get to where the elk are in the steep rugged terrain we’ve been hunting. I’m considering buying him a tag and surprising him with it and having my two brothers take him on his dream hunt. He has killed a few elk with his bow but nothing bigger than a rag horn 5 point.

In your guys opinion what would be some good options that would provide easier terrain that might allow him to experience a good elk hunt with a chance to get on some 320+ bulls? And then what are LO tags running price wise for a hunt like this? I haven’t landed on a budget for this but thinking I’d like to keep it under 4K with tag price included. Not sure if that’s doable?

Also open to other ideas too.

Thanks!

14-Jan-18
In my opinion it is going to be hard to keep it under 4000 these days.My cousin guides about 75 elk hunters per year,and he is paying landowners,5 to 6 thousand for the tag alone.Five years ago it was 2-3,but the demand is driving the price up.

14-Jan-18
LO tags are insane. I was recently quoted 3500 for tag that isn’t worth 500. There isn’t even a reseident herd on the ranch. The whole thing is out of freaking control.

14-Jan-18
LO for a good bull tag (not size but opportunity) is spendy, and the lower priced ones can be tough hunts.

Most landowners know the game these days, so finding a good deal can be difficult.

14-Jan-18
Oh boy, not as encouraging as I’d hoped. Part of me is saying not to worry about price too much cause it’s my dad and it’s a one time deal. The other part is like, 6000+ is crazy!

14-Jan-18
You can hunt Ted Turners ranch in NM and have a reasonable chance at a 320 bull . It will cost you about 15,000 and a year or 2 Waite . That tells you about demand .

14-Jan-18
I haven't heard of any decent vouchers under $6k

14-Jan-18
What might be some good options for good access and moderate terrain? And if not New Mexico, maybe another state?

14-Jan-18
Mossyhorn, I sent you a PM.

14-Jan-18
There are LO tags in some of the less desirable units that could fit your budget. But the 320 bull goal wouldn't be very realistic. Not sure about terrain either - my guess would be that easier terrain helps push up prices as well. I'm sure that prices are affected by terrain, access to large tracts of public land quantity of animals, and most important, quality of bulls.

14-Jan-18
Maybe consider CO which also has landowner tags. An honest to goodness 320 is not likely but a rag horn 6x6 is realistic. The adventure out West is usually not defined by the size of the critter.

14-Jan-18
Thanks all that have thrown out advice so far. Treewalker, Colorado is something I've thought about. For this hunt, the goal is a bigger bull. My dad has been hunting elk in Oregon since the early 80's and the only thing missing is a bigger bull.

14-Jan-18
You get 5 star dining also for 15,000??

14-Jan-18
Shoot me a message I may be able to give you a couple of leads. As stated above most units carrying 320+ bulls are pretty pricy. Land owner tags in the gila that I've seen are going going from 8-15 thousand!

• Sitka Gear