Rut Nut 01-Mar-18
Teeton 02-Mar-18
Rut Nut 05-Mar-18
Rut Nut 07-Jun-18
Rut Nut 07-Jun-18
Teeton 07-Jun-18
Rut Nut 07-Jun-18
19-Jan-18
Well back in my 30's and early 40's (I'm not 53) I had 4 guys locally that like to elk hunt the way I did. Backpack in, setup up a camp and hunt out from there. We'll those guys don't have any interest in archery backpack hunts. There now into mostly rifle and like staying in a warm camp with a flusher and showers.

Myself I prefer to still backpack in and setup up a camp. Anyone else a hard core elk hunt in or around Northeast PA that likes to hunt out of a backpack?

Last year was the first time I didn't make it out west in over ten years. That was only because my long time girl friend found out she had breast cancer right about the time I was starting to plan a hunt. She found it early and all when fine.

Kinda miss not having a local guy/guys to get together to prepare and plan elk hunts with. Ed

19-Jan-18
Ed I’m south central pa

I’m headed to Wyoming this yr for my first diy trip with a new friend. We have no clue what the hell we are doing but we are going to give it our damndest

Anyway, nxt year we will be OTC diy again

20-Jan-18
Hi Ed I’m in the Lehigh valley, always looking for someone to talk about elk hunting. Planning on going to Wyoming in September. Mick

23-Jan-18
Good to see we have at least 2 other guys in Pa that like to hunt elk..

The local guys that I used to go elk hunting with would get together and do some local backpack trips and hike a mountain that's a ski resort (Elk mt) to get in shape.. We would also go to half doz 3-d shoots over the summer. Last year I did only 2 or 3 and it was by myself.

Thinking of starting a Facebook group for Pa elk hunters. Ed

23-Jan-18
Don't do Facebook Ed but another NE PA elk hunter here. Live in the southern Poconos (Palmerton). Hopefully headed back to Wyoming this year. Back up elk plan is still in the discussion phase. Another elk hunter on here from Canadensis so he is practically in your back yard.

23-Jan-18
I'm from south central pa. I've always dreamed of doing some diy elk hunts but life always seems to get in the way. If you are ever having a get together or anything like that I'd like to be included so I could pick all of your brains for ideas.

23-Jan-18
Teeton where are you from? I don't live to far from Elk mountain.

23-Jan-18
Clifford

23-Jan-18
Hi everyone, I’m formally from the Lehigh Valley, but 14 yrs. ago moved north to Promiseland State Park, never looked back... Love shooting archery, and elk hunting..If ya want to talk elk,archery, 3D shoots give me a holler.. Retired and can always find time.. Thanks..

23-Jan-18
I'm from Schuylkill county. Heading out west somewhere this year.

23-Jan-18
Hey Tee I promised my wife that last year was my last solo backpack elk hunt so perhaps we could put something together. This is a points year for me for Wyoming so let me know what you have in mind, and tell Jules we said hello.

John Mick, I didn't know you were on here.

23-Jan-18
Hi everyone, I'm in central Pa "Huntingdon county" 20 min south of state college, I have never hunted out west but am currently planning to do a diy pack in hunt in 2019, that will be my 50th birthday present to myself, it has been my dream, but with raising 4 kids the money was not there, so now with #3 of to college, I'm moving forward with my dream hunt.

23-Jan-18
I live near Harrisburg. Ill be headed to ID this September. This will be my 6th elk hunt and 4th to ID. Hopefully this will be the year i finally get one. If not at least i get top spend 2 werks in elk country.

23-Jan-18
Hi Joe, I am, how did you make out in Wyoming? I think I passed you the other day you Lowe’s in Whitehall. Mick

24-Jan-18
I'm the guy from Canadensis, Monroe County. Me and Huntabsarokee have been to CO or WY 7 of the last 8 years. Going somewhere this year. The draws will dictate where.

Ed, you and I have messaged briefly couple years ago about your CO unit.

24-Jan-18
I’m in SW Pa Tee. Beaver county. I’ve hunted elk 2 or 3.... decades. Lol

I’ve been all over the elk woods up near Bennezette. I love Pa. Living and outfitting in Montana actually made me appreciate living here more. Hunting here not so much. After roaming the Rockies for 30 years I find it way harder to sit in a tree stand all day looking at the same scenery.

24-Jan-18

24-Jan-18
So that's what they mean by "sitting water tanks"

24-Jan-18
I am from just south of Albany ...not far from NE PA at all. The last 10 year I been elk bowhunting whenever I can draw a tag that interests me. Before that I hunted OTC and Gen units a bunch. With any luck I will draw WY or AZ this year.

24-Jan-18
I'd love to get out on a diy archery elk hunt sometime.

24-Jan-18
ED- I don't know if I would call myself an "elk hunter." I went on my first elk hunt back in 2011 in Montana for my 45th birthday present. It was DIY/Backpack with another Bowsiter. Had a BLAST and wish I could go every year, but unfortunately that is NOT an option! Have not made it back out West since then. Would love to get back out there in the future, but with my oldest in college and youngest in H.S. next year, it may be awhile!

Every year I toss around the idea of going out to the PA ELK Museum or whatever they call it- out in Bennezette, Pa. Maybe do a 2-3 day backpacking trip in mid to late August somewhere out there and try to find some elk. Maybe we can get a group together this year before you guys head out west? Could be cool to sit around the campfire at night and tell elk stories(and maybe hear a few bugles). Just a thought........................

24-Jan-18
Ok, we need to hear this story, where's Bowjo? LOL

24-Jan-18
Hoyter.... just do it. Do a little homework, pitch a tent, and walk up the hill and you’ll be elk hunting. It’s not like looking for Bigfoot.

24-Jan-18
Rut go mid August when the elk festival is. I went to it this past year and it was a great time

24-Jan-18
Andy, Looks like Aug 18 and 19 this year for the Elk Festival. I don’t know why, but I always thought it was in Sept?

25-Jan-18
Thanks for all the responses guys..Maybe we could put together a weekend backpack trip to help get us ready and psych our selfs up and help any of the new comers that would like to come and learn about DIY backpacking hunting out west.

Anyone that would like to chat on the phone P-m me and I'll p-m you back my number..

Bowjo you got a p-m

Ed

25-Jan-18
That would be great, it would be nice to have some of the bugs worked out before actually heading out west to hunt!

I was actually planning on doing some overnight trip in Elk County over the spring and summer to try out some of my gear and get a feel for living out of my pack.

25-Jan-18
Teeton I'm just over the hill outside Montrose, grew up skiing elk mountain every weekend.

25-Jan-18
SOunds good, guys. I usually do several backpacking trips each spring/Summer, even though it's geared more towards fishing than hunting. So keep us all posted and maybe we can work something out.

25-Jan-18
Well lets start planning a weekend this summer for us eastern elk hunters..

HuntingAdict,, I started working at Elk right out of high school on the weekend in season. Guess what,,, I still work there every Saturday/Sunday morning getting the place opened for the workers and the patrons to come.. I then go skiing the rest of the day, also ski nights mid week. It's my personal training place in summer to hike to get in shape for elk hunting. Start of hiking in spring about 45 minute bottom to top,, by time to go out west I'm down to 23 mins. It's about 1 mile to the top and 1000 vertical feet. Ed

25-Jan-18

Teeton's embedded Photo
The Mtn in back is Elk Mtn
Teeton's embedded Photo
The Mtn in back is Elk Mtn
Teeton's embedded Photo
Trailer pic
Teeton's embedded Photo
Trailer pic
Well I have an idea for a mid winter get together. I bought in September a place up by Elk Mtn in Susquehanna Co, about 10 minutes off interstate 81 it has about a 8/9 acre pond and a trailer that I'm slowly redoing so I can rent it out. It's got a kitchen with frig, stove, bath room. But no furniture, beds or anything. If any of you would like to do a weekend. Let me know. You would have to bring ur own sleep pan or cot and sleeping bag, a fold up chair. Hell ur a elk hunter so sleeping in a heat place is easy. :) We could start on a Friday night or Saturday morning. We could setup a 3d range if we can get some of you that's come to bring some targets, I have 4.. Build a fire, ice fish, eat, talk elk hunting and so on. Let me know if any of you have any interest. Let say last weekend in February.

Ed

26-Jan-18
Ed- that sounds great! I could bring a turkey target and ice fishing gear. Got plenty of extra gear for guys that don’t ice fish.(rods and tip ups) And have an electric auger to drill the holes.

28-Jan-18
I would be up for that, would love to pick the brains of people who know what they are doing in the elk woods, anything that reduces the learning curve for when I do go Elk hunting will only increase my odds...

29-Jan-18
Looks like we got 4 so far..

29-Jan-18
I may be up for that too. Let me know the dates and if I'm free I may come up.

30-Jan-18
Well it looks like we maybe up to 5 so far.. Date will be the last weekend in February the 23, 24 and 25,, Friday Saturday and Sunday.. You can come Friday evening or Saturday.

Ed

31-Jan-18
I would like to hang out with everyone, if there’s room for another. Sounds like a great time. Would be great meeting some new people who have the same interests.

31-Jan-18
Tee, I would like to try to make that as well. I'm up to my eyeballs getting ready for the DHP banquet, but I could probably use a break. John, perhaps you could hitch a ride.

31-Jan-18
John and Joe that would be great. I'll start putting the details together.

All thats planning on coming let me know if ur coming Friday night or Saturday...

Ed

01-Feb-18
Sounds good guys! I'll aim for Fri nite after work Ed.

04-Feb-18
Sounds good Joe, Looking forward to meeting everyone. Ed, i'll let you know when we plan on arriving, in the next week, if thats ok. Mick

04-Feb-18
Any of you PA boys ever draw AZ send me an email and I will try to help you with logistics. Where to camp, gas, shop shower etc. I was born and raised here in AZ and have been hunting elk since 1983. Not the best but not the worst either. If you have questions, I could give honest feed back on draw and units that I am familiar with.

I can only imagine the challenges you guys face coming so far. I'm not a guide or outfitter just a regular guy helping out some fellow hunters.

05-Feb-18
That's fine John. Let me know when you can.

Knothead, that's a very nice offer.. I never got into the Az draw/points game.. Kinda wish I did when I started getting Colorado points. Ed

09-Feb-18
Looks like we are up to 6 so far.

09-Feb-18
Sounds good ED. If needed, I'll bring my 0 degree bag and bivy tent and sleep outside. Will bring back memories of Montana in late Sept! ;-)

15-Feb-18

Rut Nut's Link
Looking at this forecast, we probably won’t be icefishing! : (

15-Feb-18
Hey Ed, are there any SGL close by we could maybe hunt small game and/or coyotes?

15-Feb-18
Hello Ed, Id be in for hikes later in the year, cant make the end of feb. We're pulling our muledeer tags this year so thats our target. I was planning to put some hikes together on the App this year, let me know whats going on and we'll get together. Knothead, welcome to the Pa site. yes ,Its quite an undertaking to get out there on a DIY hunt. tons of planning, no scouting and starting from scratch, but hey, thats all part of it. Thanks for the offer, how many pp's needed for your type of area? just curious.

Thanks bill v

15-Feb-18
You have a chance to draw AZ every year and every year it increases as you gain bonus points (not preference points and there is a big difference). If you get your loyalty point, 5 consecutive years of applying and your permanent hunter ed bonus point, I would say you have a realistic chance to draw AZ every 4-6 years. I hate to brag about AZ but our average units are comparable if not better than many states best units. I am more than willing to help you eastern guys out with ins and outs of draw and units in AZ. my personal email is: [email protected] This probably a better way to communicate. You just missed our draw for this year as deadline was tuesday.

16-Feb-18
Hi Rut,, I see that the weather is going to be very warm, 40's , 50's and even a day of close to 65 over the next 10 days. Yes there's game lands near by. We may not get to ice fish,,, but my just have to use rods and reels..LOL! The place has ton's of squirrels so a 22 my be in order or just try the bows. Remember it planned as a fun weekend. So 3-d shooting, go to Gamelands, if weather is poor we can go to Deckers which is only 15 or 20 minutes away and shoot the 30 target, I think 45 yard, 2 level indoor 3-d course.. Hunting talk, food, fun and drinking lots of soda pop :)... If it's rain Saturday at lunch we may go over to the ski resort and cook our lunch over the indoor fire pit and watch the snow bunny's go by, Sorry there' no open season on the snow bunny's.. :)

All coming get back to me so I know who's coming or not, so if we have room we can see if anyone else may want to come...

Bill V,,, We will get together for some hikes this summer for sure.

Ed

16-Feb-18
LOL! I gave up chasing the snow bunnies a loooooooooooooooong time ago! ;-) Yeah, I'm thinking of bringing the Jonboat or Kayak instead of my ice-fishing sled. Sounds good on the bow shooting and the SGL too! Should have plenty to do. Looking forward to the weekend. Will make up some venison Kielbasa this weekend to bring along. Do you have a grill there, or should I bring my portable?

18-Feb-18
Looks like we still got room for a couple more guys. Pm me if anyone maybe interested and I'll give you the details..

Ed

22-Feb-18
Well, it will be at least 4 of us. Planning to get there Fri after work and stay all day Sat. Made a big batch of venison chili for lunch Sat.- hope you guys like SPICEY chili! ;-)

Anyone else interested just PM Teeton or me.

25-Feb-18
Spent all day at work thinking I'd get to read about the 1st NEPABS Rendezvous. But nothing yet. Post up some pics.

26-Feb-18
Well I didn't take any pictures and I'm not sure anyone else did as it was raining just about all day except in the early morning Saturday..

So Bowjo and Mich arrived Friday evening about 7pm followed by Nut Rut about 40 minutes later. Friday night was spent chatting mostly about elk hunting and eat snacks till about 11:30 when we all hit the sack.. Saturday morning during breakfast was again more elk hunting, Pa deer hunting, and chatting about the different Bowsite personalities. After breakfast we decided to go for a hike on the near by Gamelands. after our hike we then stop at the local ski resort for and hour or so sitting aroud the fire pit drying off.. Then went back to my place where Nut Rut had put chili in the Crock-pot and while we were gone on our hike, my girl friend Julie stop by and left us a Crock-pot full of pierogies in butter and onions and fresh browines. :) After lunch we went for a ride to a local archery shop called Decker's Bows and More where the guys shot one of the new Mathews bow. We then went back, chatted some more and called it a weekend. It was great having something to look forward to for a few weeks and hanging out with Bowjo, Mich and Nut Rut. Thinking maybe doing it again in the spring with some better weather and a whole weekend. Ed

28-Feb-18
Thanks Teeton, for your invite to share your place. The weather wasn’t the best , but I think we made the best of it. One thing for sure, we did eat pretty good. Thanks to Rut Nut, and his chili, and to your girlfriend’s pierogies, and brownies. Thanks to Bowjo, for driving up there, even though he snores like all get out.LOL. Just kidding Joe.

01-Mar-18
Sorry guys, I only took 3 pics- all of the fresh rubs we found. Was a great time! Weather could have been better, but no controlling that. The hike was good and timing was pretty good as we were finishing up as it started sleeting/raining.

Thanks to Joe and Mick for a great breakfast of Country Bacon, sausage, eggs and toast!

Definitely looking forward to getting back up there in the Spring. Bowjo and I will camp out in the yard next time since I am told we snore! ;-)

I even did some deer spotlighting when I drove up the road to get a cell signal Fri. nite to find out how my daughter did at the swim meet. ;-)

01-Mar-18

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Fresh rub we found on our hike

01-Mar-18
Guys let me know if your interested in coming up for the weekend of the opener of the Northern Tier of trout season.. Which is I believe April 14th. Ed

01-Mar-18
I was thinking more....................................... Spring Gobbler, Ed! ;-)

02-Mar-18
Sorry Perry, but there is no turkey in Susquehanna County and a good chance it maybe rented out by then.

05-Mar-18
LOL! on the turkey. But I forgot you said you were trying to rent it out.

07-Jun-18

Rut Nut's Link
OK guys- just checked the PA Elk Expo site. Looks like a lot of fun! Aug 18 and 19

Was thinking of driving out that THurs and doing some backpacking. Anybody want to meet Thurs around noon and backpack in somewhere? Spend thurs and fri nite in the backcountry and then hike out Sat. morning so we can be at the expo by noon? Live Elk Tag drawing is at 1pm.

Anybody interested?

07-Jun-18

Rut Nut's Link
Looking at backpacking part of the Quehanna Trail possibly.................................

07-Jun-18
I can't say at this time, with the United Bowhunters of Pa Jamboree a few weeks before.. Time is my issue...

I'd be up for another weekend at my place,, Say the last weekend of this month.. It maybe the last time we could do it, since I'm going to be renting it out in July for the season... It don't have to be elk hunter's get together.. Just a bunch of bowhunters hanging out. Make it a Friday night, Saturday and Sunday things we could do is scout out some of the Gamelands, fish local or go to the Delaware river. Shoot the bows.. What ever???? Just bring your own drinks and I'll have the food. Anyone interested just let me know.. Ed

07-Jun-18
Yeah, I know that is pretty close to the UBP Campout, but I've been dying to get out there to see the elk and do some backpacking out in the elk range, and also attend the Elk Festival. If I'm driving all the way out there, I wanna do it during that weekend.

Thanks for the invite again to your place. I'll keep that in mind. Kinda leaning more towards backpacking, though. Was supposed to do an over-nighter with my son back in early May, but plans got changed last minute. Been wanting to try out a few new backpacking gizmos I picked up for the trip.

• Sitka Gear