Shug 22-Jan-18
DMC65 22-Jan-18
Xbowdoctor95 22-Jan-18
DMC65 22-Jan-18
Xbowdoctor95 22-Jan-18
DMC65 22-Jan-18
Xbowdoctor95 22-Jan-18
22-Jan-18
So, with the draw results just around the corner I have been doing some hard looking into bear bait. And I think I found my supplier. Cookie dough, trail mix, some peach and apple filling, gummies, etc. But opening the bait should be interesting. I plan on grabbing some vanilla and anise in a weedeater bottle. As well as unlimited fryer oil(I work in a restaurant.) With some Northwoods Gold Rush. This will be my first year doing a bear hunt and I got private land to do it. What do you fellas suggest for a good opener? Am I on the right track? Or should I look towards liquid smoke and perhaps a pancake syrup burn? What's your thoughts.

22-Jan-18

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo

Nick Muche's Link
Get some of this stuff...

22-Jan-18
Honey burn.

22-Jan-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
A couple of 5 Gallon pails of dead fish 1/2 filled with water. Put a lid on and marinade for a week, when you get to the site cut a hole in the lid. Tie one up high to reach out further . Each time you bait give them a little shake.

Be sure to wire them to a tree so they don’t steal them,. The orange bucket was hanging in one of those trees you see behind the bait on tree a tree step. I have some video and pics on my home computer of bears really getting jiggy with the pail.

22-Jan-18
If using beaver carcasses is legal where you hunt use em. Get in touch with some of your local trappers and ask if they will save you some.im sure they will be happy to help you out . Everybody loves to eat beaver... Most northern states have spring beaver trapping seasons. Rotten or fresh it's the best treat to leave for a big bear. Hang it from a rope on a cross pole at a height only a big bear can reach.

22-Jan-18
I'm in Wisconsin. So no animal byproduct. Keep em coming!

22-Jan-18
Well then, the used oil is your best friend . Pour it all round where the actual food will be placed. Bears go where bears go and when they walk all around in the oil they take the smell with em . Other bears will hit their trail n follow on in. Cheap dog food with confectioners sugar is a lightweight nutritious food to put in your barrel . just make so the bears have to shake n roll the barrel to get a little out at a time. I love making bear baits . It's just like running traps.give em good food to eat and they won't forget where they got it. Have you baited bears much in the past jourdan?

22-Jan-18
This will be my first bait. We cannot use barrels here. We are pretty much limited to 10 gallons at a time in a hollowed out stump. With that being said, I'm not new to the idea of baiting. I have read a lot on it, and family has hunted them in the past. However they've all since passed. So it's kind of a one sided conversation when I asked them.... (they would have laughed hahah). I work in a restaurant and they pitch over 10 gallons every week that I can have. So in essence I have an endless supply of oil haha. I heard gold rush is the bees knees in the oil. So I will be utilizing that to the fullest!

22-Jan-18
I laughed too!! Like I said the oil is awesome . A bears nose is the best nose god ever made! Just pour that oil all over and the bears that do come will make a scent trail far and wide but on the bears natural route of travel. Another thing that's often overlooked is guys tend to bait in low swamp areas. Bears go in those places but when they're covering distance they will use high ground. They like to run spines and ridges. Just a thought .if you have the choice of high ground or low , put a bait in both places n see what happens. Bacon grease is tops as far as oil goes. Fish fry oil is real good too. If there's bears around it won't take em long to find your sites. Main thing is to give em good stuff to eat when they come. When you start seeing turds at your baits you're in good shape! That means they are sleeping close by and spending alot of time there . Keep us posted on your progress. I'm hoping to pull a tag this fall also so I'm getting pretty jacked up for baiting myself.

22-Jan-18
I am jacked to say the least. I upgraded to the Halon 32 and got a new stand that should allow my brother to watch when he's home from boot camp. I planned on putting my bait about 100 yards off an atv trail and on the point of a ridge that runs along an entire swamp on one side, and tag alder ocean on the other. Seems to be the most legitimate spot. I spotted one along a creek that borders the swamp this gun season, but putting a stand there would be a feat. Plus it was a young bear. Probably wandering and not paying attention to where he was going. But I may toss a little bait there just to be sure! I need a rug for the shack!

• Sitka Gear