Bowriter 23-Jan-18
dakotaduner 23-Jan-18
Bowriter 23-Jan-18
Owl 23-Jan-18
Bowriter 23-Jan-18
milnrick 23-Jan-18
Butternut40 23-Jan-18
23-Jan-18
It started out as a project to fill some down time. It has become a major job. I decided yesterday, to clean all my mounts. Have not done that in a few years. Good grief. I am not even half through and I am worn out. I had forgotten how much trouble it was to get them off the walls and I am never, ever going to have a turkey mounted flying, again.

This is a major deal.

23-Jan-18
Bowriter good luck. I would like some advice from any and all on just what people do for cleaning and care as well as if any treatments for bugs. I don’t have many but wether it’s one or 10. What is proper care for mounts and rugs.

23-Jan-18
I'm not sure I can help you much. I don't have a bug problem at all and some of my mounts are close to 30-years old. I have a soft brush that fits on the tube-thingie on the wife's vacuum cleaner that I use for dust etc. I then wipe them down with a soft, damp cloth. I do not do anything special to my rugs and screw the dang turkeys. Cats get the same treatment. Have to pay a little more attention to the sheep and antelope horns due to the "crevices". Mostly, is just a good dusting and general cleaning. On my two fish, I use a light spray of Pledge on the cloth and just wipe them down. I have a mule deer mount that I believe was mounted in in about 1935. I got it out of a dumpster in CO and I am scared to touch it. I don't know much about "proper" care of mounts. I am sure there are many out there with much better advice.

23-Jan-18
Turkeys should only be done under glass. Framed fan and beard, etc.

23-Jan-18
I now have a superb method for wild turkeys. If you wish, cut off the beard and spurs and give the rest of it to someone who likes eating wild turkey. I don't and seldom bother to hunt them any more.

The one I have mounted is one I killed hunting with great, Eddie Salter and it has special memories for me. Worst thing I ever did was have it mounted flying. Takes up way too much wall space.

23-Jan-18
Dakotaduner - are your mounts in their own trophy room or in the living/rec area of your house. If in the trophy room, I'd suggest you get an aerosol bomb that has a bunch of pemethryn in it's contents. Close off the HVAC vents, activate the bomb and come back in a couple hours. We do that every 4-6 months and have no bugs in Millie's Trophy Room.

If they're inside the living area contact your taxidermist for the same liquid he/she treats your mounts with when they're initially done.

Otherwise, wipe with damp cloth to remove the dust as Bowriter recommends and consider using something like Old English Furniture Polish (dark oak) on a rag to freshen up your antlers.

Hope t his helps.

23-Jan-18
Bowriter just put your flying turkey mount in a shed like I did mine during a remodel project on my house. The mice stripped it clean. All I had left was the freeze dried head and beard. Sold the head on ebay and kept the beard.

• Sitka Gear