DanaC 28-Jan-18
Wood 29-Jan-18
HDE 29-Jan-18
Grunt-N-Gobble 30-Jan-18
Ermine 30-Jan-18
12yards 30-Jan-18
kbbgood 30-Jan-18
27-Jan-18
I just was changing out some incerts in my arrows. Gold tip XT hunters. I heated them up by the screwin tips just as much as needed and no more. Found 3 out of 5 arrows are cracked. So I have to ask, does Full Metal Jacket arrows crack like that? Other wise I guess I'm going back to XX75's.

27-Jan-18
Are you saying heating them cracked them? Did you heat them to remove the insert or install new ones? Sounds like they were already cracked maybe? Easiest way to remove inserts is to drop a drill bit in the nock end and give it a swing. Do it somewhere safe! As far as installing if you’re using cool melt, I heat just enough to melt the glue and then insert while twisting. Works great.

28-Jan-18
I think the people originally used regular glue instead of hot melt. May have cracked getting them out but I never heated the shafts just the screw in points. May have hit the ground a few times I don't know but never happened when I shot xx75 arrows. So just wondering if fmj arrows are tougher?

28-Jan-18
I think the people originally used regular glue instead of hot melt. May have cracked getting them out but I never heated the shafts just the screw in points. May have hit the ground a few times I don't know but never happened when I shot xx75 arrows. So just wondering if fmj arrows are tougher?

28-Jan-18
Heating superglue adhesives to the point of letting go will damage a carbon arrow. One should never use heat to remove inserts in carbon arrows unless you are 100% certain hot melt glue was used originally. FMJ arrows have a carbon core, same results.

28-Jan-18
May have cracked from impact, or the use of expanding ('Gorilla' ) glue. If good hot melt isn't holding your inserts you are not prepping correctly. I use cyanocacrylates (super glues) only if I'm happy with arrow length and not planning to change inserts.

29-Jan-18
All carbon arrows that I know of say not to heat them up. If it's hot enough to burn your fingers, chances are it may damage your arrows.

29-Jan-18
Boiling water is not hot enough to damage the arrow but it will cause epoxy and/or superglue to flake breaking the bond.

That's why HIT is one if the more foolish things in modern archery.

30-Jan-18
My guess is you damaged them when heating up that point and insert. They were probably installed with some type of superglue.

30-Jan-18
I bet they used epoxy or some kind of glue.

I’ve found Goldtips to be tougher than Easton’s. In my own experience.

I think you cracked them because Of the glue used.

30-Jan-18
Why were you removing inserts? To put in heavier ones?

30-Jan-18
Screw in rusted tight. I will cut them a half inch shorter.

• Sitka Gear