Jasper 30-Jan-18
The last savage 30-Jan-18
The last savage 30-Jan-18
Jasper 02-Feb-18
Will 02-Feb-18
Shug 02-Feb-18
Don K 02-Feb-18
29-Jan-18
I lost a couple of turkeys last year I shot with big expandable heads that I feel certain died....just couldn't find them in spite of searching for hours. I was thinking about trying a string tracker this year if I can get my arrows to group well with it. I hunt a private archery only club and usually can get shots under 25 yards in open areas....power lines, food plots, etc. It made me sick to lose those birds. I know exactly where to shoot them but things are seldom perfect in bow hunting situations. Anybody used one and could share your experiences? Thanks!

29-Jan-18
I have used them in the past (still keep them and spare string in my Turkey tackle bag) and they did result in finding some Turkeys I may not have found otherwise. However they are a pain to have mounted on your bow with a string going to your arrow, many times that string got snagged on brush while walking around and left a long line of string before I noticed it. They are not foolproof as the string can and does break sometimes but many time it still gets you lined out in the right direction even if it breaks. If they fly with it then you are trying to follow it thru the treetops which is not easy. I now use Magnus Bullheads most of the time and they never get out of sight or drop in their tracks when hit correctly.

29-Jan-18
I’ve never went bow fishing before and I’m not sure how accurate it is at distance, but I’ve thought that could be an option for turkeys. Run one through and reel it in.

29-Jan-18
I'm gonna use one this year. I'm colorblind and blood trailing ain't fun for me.

29-Jan-18
I would revisit some of the turkey shot placement threads. Big mechanicals are deadly on turkeys and normally they only make it a short distance if they move at all. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but any combination of low and forward is going to be bad.

29-Jan-18
Yes, have used one, back in 96...

Use a big Mech head and kill them. Just a turkey!

Don't tell me you're hunting Alabama?!?!?

29-Jan-18
Sorry, where are you aiming on the ol yard bird? That might be the problem...

29-Jan-18
Found a trail of string from an arrow several years ago that thing went a long way and ended up beside a cow moose. The arrow was gone. I figured someone had a bull permit and screwed up. I could not believe how far that string went.

29-Jan-18
Go over to TradGang.Com search for Curt Cabrera, killed more turkeys with a bow then anyone I know(recurve) and has used a string tracker for 20 plus years. On You tube look up Trad Life Films or search for Curt Cabrera hunts. Some great stuff! He is a good friend of mine and has some great advise on using them. Shawn

29-Jan-18
Stick stringer. The string tracker is not the same as a fish set up it's light string maybe 1000 feet. I used one on a bear in the eighties. Shot through the bear and string played out for a while. After it stopped, I could pull the string and see the arrow moving At the shot site. Never used it again. It was a pain keeping the whole thing from tangling during transport

29-Jan-18
I have killed about 20 turkeys with a big 3 blade broadhead and string tracker. It didn’t make a difference on most of them as they died in sight. On a couple it made recovery much much easier. It also helps locate your arrow in case you miss. Not that I ever have..........

29-Jan-18
I was thinking about using one to retrieve arrows buried in the snow when shooting willow ptarmigan in winter...

29-Jan-18
Used them back in the early 90s for bear hunting. Don’t remember much change in flight at 20-25 yards. Just remember to take the cork or rubber plug out.

29-Jan-18
Never for turkey. But, I have used them for hogs. It didn't work to well. Palmetto cut it pretty easily. But, I could see them in more open settings, that didn't contain such thick tangles, working well. Maybe back the poundage off, shot the top of the drumsticks, and keep the arrow in him. You'll start finding them without the tracker string. God Bless

29-Jan-18
I used them bear hunting in Canada back in the 80s. Worked ok. Haven’t seen them for a while

29-Jan-18
Thanks guys for the feedback. I'm going to get one and do some shooting with it and decide if it's worth it.

29-Jan-18

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
Concentrate more on shot placement and they don’t go far... not trying to sound like a smartass but on average I’d guess over the last 5 years my birds have gone no more then ten yards... and that’s with both small fixed heads and big expandables. And I recommend shooting a medium to heavy setup... shooting 60 pounds with 350 grain arrows and expandables will only bring you trouble. Feel free to ask questions here as there’s lots of guys who know their stuff on this site willing to help.

29-Jan-18
Hey Nick, if you'd spend a few more seconds reading my thread instead of trying to be a smart ass you'd notice I said I know where to shoot a gobbler. I've bow hunted for almost 50 years, don't make a perfect shot every time and never will. I was looking for an option that might help a little on a lethal hit when the bird runs off. I don't understand guys like you, but hey it's a free country so drivel on if it makes you feel superior.

29-Jan-18
I used one, but I missed both times I used it, second time I connected with second arrow, but no string tracker attached to that arrow. I don't think it was the string tracker's fault I missed, cause I took some practice shots and had good flight. Watched a video on how to set one up and and you need to take a boat load of string out on a new roll, pull till it starts coming out fairly easily. Disclaimer-this was a trad bow and shots were fairly close.

30-Jan-18
Sorry Jasper, It sounds like accuracy may be the culprit and I don't think a string tracker will help with that.The Alabama thing was just supposed to be a tribute to TBM and I figured you may laugh, I guess sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet and I didn't mean anything by it, apologies. Hopefully you can figure out the problem.

30-Jan-18
It's been a while, but the first year I killed my spring limit of 3 toms here in CA the 3 combined went something like 13 yards post-shot. Big mechs. If a guy is having to track them, shot placement is likely the issue.

30-Jan-18

Too Many Bows Bob's embedded Photo
Too Many Bows Bob's embedded Photo
I always use one, and they have never failed me yet. Last year I shot one and he took off flying. The string tracker buzzed for almost a whole minute. As I followed it, he had gone about 50 yards in a straight line then hooked a hard left and went another 75 yards. The string took me right to him. Now yes the string can break and beyond 30 yards it will effect the flight of your arrow. but the trade offs are well worth finding a critter that doesn't bleed much, nor leave many tracks.

TMBB

30-Jan-18
I've never used it on turkeys but use it on deer on occasion. When I'm hunting with a recurve in the rain I'll use the string tracker because there won't be a blood trail to follow and rain doesn't stop me when hunting near home. I wouldn't suggest using a string tracker with a compound, but you might try it. The string tracker is well suited to a traditional bow with a heavy arrow because it won't affect the arrow flight significantly.

One of the coolest experiences deer hunting was when I shot through a nice buck and the string went flying! It dumped off that little spool like a tuna dumps a fishing reel. The line screamed for about 30 seconds and then stopped because the string had broken on brush. Still, he didn't go far past the end of the string.

The original game tracker string is 17 pound test and seems like it would be ideal for turkeys.

30-Jan-18
I have not but my brother did in the early 1990's and I hunted with him all of the time. He shot a deer with a pass through and it worked well to follow it for a ways. I would say they would be pretty good for turkeys in various situations.

jstephens61 - My brother forgot to take the plug out one time and the arrow did a sharp nose dive at the shot just in front of the deer.

30-Jan-18
I not only used them many years ago for turkey but also for bear when hunting with Chase in NB they helped at times. It was amazing how you could trip over the string if it was tangled on the ground, Still have a couple of them. At that time I was using the old Pearson Deadheads (most will not remember them}

30-Jan-18
Thank you guys for the good feedback. No worries Nick, I should have just bitten my tongue. Have a blessed day!

30-Jan-18
Where do you guys get the string trackers at????? I recall my uncle talking about them quite a few years ago....

30-Jan-18
Where do you guys get the string trackers at????? I recall my uncle talking about them quite a few years ago....

02-Feb-18
Savage, talked to a guy who has killed over 150 animals using a string tracker and he gave me this link to buy the one he uses. Good luck! Www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com.

02-Feb-18
I used one for a few shots, a LONG time ago... I think the bow I was shooting was a PSE FireFlite Express... So that's got to be 89/90 or so. I shot it a few times to test it out, but, overall... I just didnt like it.

I didnt know they still existed until this thread... I bet they work well with todays significantly more efficient and powerful bows.

02-Feb-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Never on Turkey once or twice on bears

02-Feb-18
Have lots of experience with these, killed lots of deer with them when they first came out many, many years ago.

Mound the unit above the arrow do not just put it in the stabilizer hole. They make a bracket for this purpose. If you mount it above the arrow you can shoot out to 30 yards with no drop on the arrow. If you mound it below the arrow it will pull it down in flight. When you first mount the unit pull out about 15 ft of string and cut it off. You will notice that little bit will allow the string to come out easier when in use.

They make a 2500, and a 1,000 this is how many feet of string are in the spool.

• Sitka Gear