buzz mc 31-Jan-18
OFFHNTN 31-Jan-18
APauls 31-Jan-18
Buffalo1 31-Jan-18
Ward's Outfitters 10-Feb-18
t-roy 10-Feb-18
Drop tine 10-Feb-18
30-Jan-18
This is my first attempt at writing up a hunt that I just went on. I hope to offend no one and have a little fun along the way.

30-Jan-18

gottoohunt's embedded Photo
Spine shot before Surgery
Spine shot before Surgery
January 2017 signed up to hunt Coues Deer in August 2017 with Ward’s Outfitter of Wilcox Arizona This hunt was going to be a gift to me. I had to have back surgery in August of 2016 to relieve pain down both legs that had caused me not to be able to walk more than a hundered feet or so without having to stop and sit to get away from the pain. The fall hunting season found me rehabbing at home and unable to be in any hunting situation for the first time since 1964, I had started hunt when I was eleven. I had two rods put in after being reassured from the surgeon that I would be walking out of the hospital with no pain. Yea thats what I thought too. After a week in the hospital I did walk out of the building on my own in a brace that I had to wear until January 2017.

30-Jan-18
Well, so far only one mistake and that is the label of the photo should be "after surgery spine shot"

So I get the brace off in early January 2017 and I am shooting my compound at a reduced weight so that I don’t blow my back up. I shoot all winter and into early spring when on a April trip to Kentucky to hunt spring gobbler I dislocate my left shoulder and tear off the tendon that attached the Supraspinatus muscle (this is the muscle you use to pick up your arm). That is a story for another day. So now I have a bad back that is healing and soon to be repaired left shoulder what will be healing. I get my shoulder repaired on May 8 and I am told that I should cancel my August Coues hunt with Wards’s Outfitter in Arizona. I call Steven Ward and lay to bad news on him, he asked me if I had thought about hunting with him in Mexico during January of 2018. I replied “well no, where do I sign up”.

30-Jan-18
So I that fall I hunt whitetail local and in Ohio and try to stay away from any doctors for the rest of 2017 and hopefully the month of January 2018 (which I was able to do).

So my hunt in Mexico is scheduled for January 15th thru the 19th. Got all my $h!## packed the week before Christmas, no I’m not anxious. I am shooting everyday in cold, wind and snow. I am ready for take-off.

Saturday January 13, 2018, my wife and I leave the house at 0330 hrs. for trip to the airport just outside Baltimore. Get checked in and through TSA with no problems then I hear from my wife that she was getting some snow to drive in and I told her it will be melted before I get back.

30-Jan-18

Waiting to head west
Waiting to head west
Long 5 and a half flight to Phoenix.

30-Jan-18

Pat this shot is for you. Not your typical treestand boot shot but I was pretty far up in the air.

30-Jan-18

Area in Southern Arizona where I got to see my first Coues Whitetail
Area in Southern Arizona where I got to see my first Coues Whitetail
So we have a smooth flight to Phoenix Arizona and then I had a two and a half hour drive to a friends house just north of the Mexican border. He took me out where I got to glass up a few Coues deer (a first for me).

30-Jan-18
Next morning I meet my driver who was from Mexico and had gone to school in the US. We had seven and a half hours to talk and see the sights of Sonora Mexico. We had very little problem with the Mexican border police and even with the Federals. We had stopped for lunch at a restaurant in the capitol and the waitress said something to me in Spanish, which I don’t speak, so I had my driver order for me. After lunch we did go through a check point in the state capitol of Hermosillo without a hitch. We get out of town about an hour when my driving partner told me that the waitress told me that I had pretty eyes, I told him he was fired as my wingman.

30-Jan-18

Got to the ranch just before sunset on the 14th of January where I met the two other hunters who are from Albuquerque, New Mexico along with the two guides Jose and Lane and the cook Hector.

I speak with the other two hunters Jack and Jeremy for a little while then head to bed as I had had a long day.

30-Jan-18

View from inside the blind
View from inside the blind
Day #1 Up early and after breakfast I shot my bow and made things ready for the day. It took me a while, I’m still not used to it but we didn’t leave to ranch until around 8 to go out to the blinds. It was pretty cold first thing in the morning, probably low forties. My blind was 2.68 miles as the crow flies from the ranch house. I am a treestand kind of guy and I was put into a commercial ground blind, boy was it claustrophobic for me. I made myself comfortable for the time being.

30-Jan-18

Red-tail Hawk getting his water for the day
Red-tail Hawk getting his water for the day
A little after nine see the first deer of the day, a doe. She is on red alert, looking here and there. Then I see two bucks come out of the brush, a spike and a two by two. They are posturing to each other. Have an Red-tail Hawk come in to the water and it drinks for over a minute. Things are heating up, both with deer and this oven I’m in. I have deer in front of me most of the morning. By noon I’m down to my boots a thin shirt, face cover and my undershorts, (right no selfies). So the first day I see a total of 12 deer.

30-Jan-18

Spikes facing off.
Spikes facing off.
Everyone saw deer with Jack not taking a iffy shot at a decent buck that had a doe parked in front of him blocking the bucks body.

30-Jan-18
Going to take a little break, got to go visit with some neighbors. gottoohunt

30-Jan-18
Looking pretty good! At least there are decent numbers of deer!

30-Jan-18
I hunted with Steven and Layne last summer in Arizona (possibly your cancellation hunt?). They are both great guys. Did you happen to see the jaguar that Layne just sent me pictures of? Looking forward to the rest of your hunt!

30-Jan-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Wow... Gonna add onto your post if ya don’t mind...a few years back I was suppose to hunt Blacktail at the Miller Ranch but had to cancel due to this...

30-Jan-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
I ended up healing enough that I could get into a last minute hunt with wards... and this is what happened... Good luck get well..

30-Jan-18
Bownbirdhntr Yes he did show me the video of the cat. Layne was fun to be around. Shug, we must be brothers from different mothers. I hope you are doing as well as I am.

30-Jan-18
Shug, you did well!

30-Jan-18

Fresh made local charcoal
Fresh made local charcoal
The cook Hector cooked over Mesquite Charcoal. The charcoal is made on the ranch, all the trenches are dug by hand, cutting the Mesquite, firing it up than covering the trench back up. I understand they traded a big feed bag of charcoal for a two liter bottle of Coke. Lots of work. Here are some pictures the charcoal process along with their guard dog. The men live in the bush with a bunch of chickens and two dogs. I could hear them working from my blind along with the dogs and chickens.

30-Jan-18

Getting ready to do some cooking
Getting ready to do some cooking

30-Jan-18

Here is the hand dug trench that is making charcoal.
Here is the hand dug trench that is making charcoal.

30-Jan-18

One of two twin guard dogs
One of two twin guard dogs

30-Jan-18

Another start to a good day
Another start to a good day
Day #2 Today’s weather is just about like yesterday’s, hot, no wind and plenty of sunshine. I am back in the same blind as yesterday. Today is one of the other hunters birthday, we are all hoping to celebrate more than a birthday today.

Don’t see my first deer til after 10:00, when I have two spikes and 6 doe with 2 doe fawn and a button buck come in same trail I walked in on. Something rattles them and all but five leave. Then around twenty minutes later I see three racked bucks coming through the brush, one in the lead is checking out the girls but none of them come in to the water and they all leave little by little.

I then notice about 100 yards away a shooter buck coming in towards the water through the brush. He pushes 3 fawns out of the brush and he stops to survey the surroundings. None of the adult does had hung around so he goes back into the brush never to be seen again. That is about all the action I can stand for one day. Saw at least four bucks that I would have been glad to have taken a shot at, it just wasn’t in the cards today.

30-Jan-18

Elegant Quail coming to water
Elegant Quail coming to water
Day #3 Pretty slow day with most of the deer I am seeing going to the water to the left of me about 100 yards. I did have some Elegant Quail come in to get some water, this is a new species of quail to me and I found they are only in southern Mexico. They sure are a pretty bird.

30-Jan-18
David, I was put in that exact blind on my first day. We found fresh lion tracks in the mud 3 yds in front of it. Very cool spot to hunt.

30-Jan-18
I don’t get my first drinker for deer until almost 2 o’clock and it is a button buck.

It seems everyone had a slow day in their blinds. Jack did make things a little exciting at camp. It seems he felt maybe he needed to spray he clothes down to remove some scent. He picked up a spray bottle and went outside and sprayed his jacket and his gloves and left them outside to dry over night. When he walked back into his room his son-in-law had a surprise look on his face and had Jack look at his spray bottle. It turns out he thought he had picked up a scent free spray but instead he had gotten a bottle of Windex that the cook had left out. We all had a good laugh, and Jack was getting some well deserved ribbing over the next couple of days. He was such a good sport about it.

30-Jan-18

Today is looking bright
Today is looking bright
Day #4

30-Jan-18

Here is a trail camera picture of the buck I shot just before I let the arrow fly
Here is a trail camera picture of the buck I shot just before I let the arrow fly
Now we are down to the next to the last day and the head guide suggested I go to another blind, but I turned it down and said I had seen some good bucks in the blind I had been hunting everyday and I just felt that I needed to stick it out til the end.

So I’m in the blind and it is still pretty early so I am messaging my wife on my Inreach. I am in the middle of a sentence when I look out and there is a good 4x4 eastern count buck drinking 18 yards from me. There was a spike and a doe also near the water. My bow was leaning against the left side of the blind, I had my release on the loop but had not nocked an arrow but had an arrow out on my right side. I don’t know how I was able to pull it off but I got my bow, nocked and arrow and was able to draw the bow without making enough noise to scare anything away.

30-Jan-18

My broken arrow after pass thru
My broken arrow after pass thru
When I drew it looked like the angle was going to have my arrow go through the side material, so I kind of sit up straighter and release and made a great hit on this buck. I watched where he entered the brush and soon he disappeared. I looked and my arrow was stuck in the dirt 21 yards from the blind and he had snapped the shaft just below my wrap. I just sat tight and had several more deer come in to water in almost the same spot that the buck I shot was in.

30-Jan-18

Deer kept coming into the water, several drinking at the same spot where I shot the buck.

30-Jan-18

And another buck
And another buck
They just keep coming

30-Jan-18

My first Coues Whitetail
My first Coues Whitetail
I got a hold of the guides with the radio and they were soon there. I directed them to where I last saw him and then I joined them on the short search. He didn’t go 15 yards into the brush where he piled up. My first Coues Whitetail and he is pretty good one. We get some pictures then get him back to the ranch house so we can get the meat cooled.

30-Jan-18
Beautiful Coues, congratulations! I can't wait to chase them again in August!

30-Jan-18

Back at the ranch house
Back at the ranch house
After we get him broken down he was rough scored and he is just a little over 90 inches at 92 4/8. He is a monster in my eyes.

I want to thank every one that made this hunt possible, my wonderful wife, my surgeons, my Outfitter Steven Ward, the ranch owner, my guides Lane and Jose, the cook Hector, hunters Jeremy and Jack, especially Jack for his stories and his comic relief and last but not least my driver and ex wingman Jose.

30-Jan-18

Some Organ pipe cactus
Some Organ pipe cactus
Prickly Pear Cactus
Prickly Pear Cactus

30-Jan-18

Classic Saguaro Cactus
Classic Saguaro Cactus

30-Jan-18
Congratulations! Very nice buck!

30-Jan-18
Great write up! Congratulations.

30-Jan-18
Congratulations.... beautiful buck

30-Jan-18
Great story and buck !!

30-Jan-18
Beautiful country and very nice buck!

30-Jan-18
Congrats great buck! Thanks for sharing!

30-Jan-18
I believe that might just be the best way to bring in the new year !

30-Jan-18
Awesome hunt and story! Thx for sharing!

30-Jan-18
Awesome. Forrest

30-Jan-18
Great buck! Congrats!

31-Jan-18
Fun deer to hunt, especially in January. Nice buck. Paul

31-Jan-18
Heck of a Buck and hunt...Congrats!

31-Jan-18
Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

31-Jan-18
Congrats! How did J & J end up coming out?

31-Jan-18
Shiras, J and J didn't have get the chance that I did, Older J was great to sit around and talk to and Younger J had an encounter with a BobCat

31-Jan-18
Awesome buck and story. Thanks for sharing

31-Jan-18
Great buck! CONGRATS!

31-Jan-18
Nice work David - good luck with the back you are a determined man! Good on you!

31-Jan-18
Great story and nice buck. Congrats

10-Feb-18
Great story. Glad we could help you on your quest for a coues.

10-Feb-18
Very nice write up, David! Congrats on a great hunt as well.

10-Feb-18
Great buck and great write up, thanks for sharing.

• Sitka Gear