IdyllwildArcher 30-Jan-18
Huntcell 30-Jan-18
Nick Muche 31-Jan-18
TD 31-Jan-18
Medicinemann 31-Jan-18
Ace of Spades 31-Jan-18
IdyllwildArcher 31-Jan-18
30-Jan-18
Missed draw for this go round, deadline was in December.

30-Jan-18
You missed the draw for the Spring hunt but the Fall hunt application period is May 1- May 31. That is assuming you are hunting with a guide. If you are hunting with an Alaska resident relative then you have missed the draw for this year.

30-Jan-18
Nope. It's a lottery just like Idaho and New Mexico.

Draw odds are not a worry for NRs on Kodiak and Afognak. The resident and NR tags are separated. Most units are 100% draw odds on Kodiak or unsubscribed on Kodiak for NRs and the draw odds for NRs on Afognak were 50-100% last year. So long as you find a guide who will put you in for a couple units, you should draw.

30-Jan-18

IdyllwildArcher's Link
Here's a link to the draw supplement. Up top is where the info on the Kodiak/Afognak hunts are at and the bottom page has the draw odds.

30-Jan-18
“itching to go after a brown bear “ } >>>>~~~~> Hope that brown bear doesn’t do any scratching!

31-Jan-18
Hunting Brown Bears is one of the most exciting hunts a guy can do. I think you'd enjoy Afognak as well, especially if you were to go with Luke Randall at Afognak Wildnerness Lodge, pretty good accommodations with the lodge and big bears. I also wouldn't rule out Lance Kronberger as he now has one of the best areas on Kodiak for big bears down on the Aliulik Peninsula. I'll be in that area coming fall, but DIY. I hope you get something lined up, you shouldn't have a problem drawing the permit, either.

31-Jan-18
Guide? For Pat?

Not like he needs a backup for big bears or anything..... =D

OK.... smartbass comments off......

31-Jan-18
Pat, I hunted DB162. Had a blast...hope you can get a tag in the next year or two. Nick, You are a lucky dude!!

31-Jan-18
Check out The Meateater podcast on being attacked by a brown bear on Afognak! They’re podcasts #86&87 The Meat Tree Part 1 & 2.

Josh

31-Jan-18
Yup. Good podcast. Good info as to what you're getting into.

Personally, I still put in 6 choices for brown bear this year without any reservation and I've heard the stories. It has nothing to do with bravery or stupidity. It has everything to do with following your dreams and living life on your own terms. Based on stats, I don't think I'll die hunting. But if I do, I died on my own terms and I'd much rather live life on my terms and die younger than play it safe, live life on safety's terms, and die with a diaper on.

Pat, go on your hunt and enjoy your adventure. Kill brown bears, elephants, etc (But please leave control of Bowsite to Charlie just in case you get gnawed or stomped).

• Sitka Gear