hogthief 06-Feb-18
coelker 06-Feb-18
GotBowAz 06-Feb-18
LINK 06-Feb-18
Bowfreak 06-Feb-18
Inshart 06-Feb-18
Ermine 08-Feb-18
05-Feb-18
So I have my daughter who is currently 11 and will be 12 by seasons opening. She loves her bow, not a great shot yet but has decided that she will hunt archery this year. She is already shooting close to 30 pounds and with some work will likely be close to 40 in a couple months.

I was originally taught to shoot using a kisser button to go in the corner of my mouth. Now I am shooting to where my release is touching in that same area. With the string running off the tip of my nose. So I get 2 points of contact to note when shooting. Corner of mouth to tip of nose looking through the peep.

The proshop set up my daughter bow such that her release is almost to her ear, and the string does not contact her nose.

What is the propper or generally accepted anchor point method that will give her more consistency? I was watching her yesterday and her anchor point seemed to be floating, but mainly because there seemed to be a lack of a set point. Since it is different than my set up I do not want to have her try something and mess thing up.

05-Feb-18
Sounds way too long. I shoot a kisser and string on tip of nose in conjunction with a peep. That kisser is hard to screw up in a high pressure shot on a deer.

Lee

05-Feb-18
I anchor with my index knuckle at the knob on the angle of my jaw bone, with the string touching my nose and the corner or my mouth. I don’t shoot a kisser but have been contemplating adding one.

05-Feb-18
Her DL is too long. Kisser should be front of mouth more so than the corner. That's whay they call it a kisser. String should touch tip of nose.

Measure her wingspan and divide that number by 2.5 The bow's draw length should not be greater than that number.

05-Feb-18
P.S.

Her body straight, looking from the side at full draw, the nock should be directly below her eye. Without her leaning back to it.

05-Feb-18
Dreaded TBM double post.

05-Feb-18
If her hand is behind her ear and the string isn’t back to her nose it sounds like her release is set way too long. If you posted a pic it would probably help.

05-Feb-18
Is the string hitting her arm, lots of young women have this issue and it is due to shooting a bow set up with too long of a draw. I would bring the draw down so the vane touches her nose. That will shorten it a lot and help with string slap. Shawn

06-Feb-18
Question, does your daughter wear glasses? I had to change my anchor point from the corner of my mouth and the tip of my nose when I got glasses. I hated the change, it took me a full year before I could get used to shooting with a new anchor point but my failing eyesight changed things. First I could not line the peep up with my eye as the frames of my glasses got in the way. Second they dont grind the focus of the glasses all the way out to the edge next to the frames so turning my head in didn't help either. I had to move the anchor away from my mouth and nose a full half inch.

06-Feb-18
Get the correct draw length for any beginner or you will regret it when you finally do. Period

06-Feb-18

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo

LINK's Link
Here’s what John Dudley has to say.

06-Feb-18
I've seen a lot of really good shooters that don't shoot the "right" way. Comfort and consistency are the key. I shoot a long compound with fingers, so I shoot a lot differently than most, but I shoot well because that's what works for me. Kind of like a baseball swing, they are all a little different.

06-Feb-18
Thanks guys. We will be back out this weekend and I will adjust her draw length. She is shooting a craze and as such I can adjust her draw down. I just wanted confirmation that something was not right. I will make an adjustment and then post pictures if needed.

06-Feb-18
Link, that's a good link you put up there. I used to shoot just like this. Need to put some glasses on Mr Dudley and see if he can hold that anchor point. My guess, no way.

06-Feb-18
You blind guys just need to get contacts. Ha ;)

06-Feb-18
Coelker,

As others have said, her draw is too long but I will add one caveat. It is too long if she has proper form. Make sure her front shoulder is down/not rolling up and that her bow arm is straight. With bone to bone contact and everything where it should be, you can get a consistent draw length.

06-Feb-18
You typed ............... "The proshop set up my daughter bow such that her release is almost to her ear, and the string does not contact her nose. .......

Sounds like you need a different "pro" shop!!!!

08-Feb-18
I anchor my knuckles into the square of my jaw and lightly touch the tip of my nose to the string. And use a peep.

Sounds like your daughters is setup wrong. I’ve encountered a lot of “pro shops” not knowing what the heck they are doing. I don’t go to pro shops much anymore. Do all my own work on bows

• Sitka Gear