Bigdan 12-Feb-18
Coyote 65 12-Feb-18
Fin little 12-Feb-18
Coyote 65 13-Feb-18
Bigdan 14-Feb-18
Heat 15-Feb-18
AZrecurve 15-Feb-18
05-Feb-18
I know this has been covered before, but didn't find it in my half hearted search. Just did my Arizona app., already had my license number listed from last year, so I just completed it using last year's license number. Everything processed normally. I'm good to go? Including getting my preference point, without buying this years license, correct?

05-Feb-18
From the Qualifications section on page 8 of the 2018 Antelope and Elk Hunt Draw Information book:

“An applicant must possess a license (includ- ing lifetime, pioneer or disabled veteran’s) that is valid on the last day of the application deadline for that draw.”

05-Feb-18
Please report back after the draw and let us know if you get your points.

05-Feb-18
Your hunting license has to be good on the last day of the app period. You should be able to verify the date of your license, but IMO, you're playing with fire. It's not worth it to me to try and stretch it like is easily done in Utah. I just buy it every year. I'm not going to risk losing my loyalty point, the year's point, and a year's app.

05-Feb-18
I'm playin with fire too. I called and asked today. I'm certain she was an expert so when she said a valid license on the 13 th had me covered I took her at her word!!!!!!!!!!!!

05-Feb-18
I f your license expires before Feb 13 you will be in trouble you will loose your bonus point and loyalty point

05-Feb-18
I apply for sheep, bison and deer in the later draw so it won't work for me regardless.

05-Feb-18
I guess I need to go back and buy a license?

05-Feb-18
I know it supposedly works but damn it would be a long 5 years to get the loyalty point back. Just not worth the risk at all.

06-Feb-18
^^^

This!

06-Feb-18
Would you all agree that if out hunting on the 13th and a warden asked to see your license, it would be valid?

06-Feb-18
Not worth the risk. For you guys not buying the license are you not putting in for sheep and deer in June?

Since AZ is experiencing a drought this winter are you guys putting in for points or a tag?

06-Feb-18
Long way to Sep and the growing season hasn’t begun...Anything can happen!

06-Feb-18
I also apply for sheep and deer so it's a pointless loophole for me. On that note, why the hell do certain states stagger out their draws instead of one concise draw like other states do?

06-Feb-18
I'm curious, what information/data was used to determine there is a risk?

The app period closes at 11:59 on 2/13 and the license is valid thru 2/13.

06-Feb-18
I too do sheep/deer in June so I just buy my new license when I apply for elk and antelope.

It is only $160.00 so no big deal one would think.

I hope it plays out well for you in any event.

Good luck, Robb

06-Feb-18
Buying points for my boy across the board too so it does add up. Was thinking it might work but not risking losing a loyalty point and this years point or license.

06-Feb-18
I agree with wapiti bob. The license is good thru 1159pm on 2/13. Maybe if its drought year and all you put in for points ill have a chance to draw! points only guys!!!! bad drought!!!

06-Feb-18
You are fine if your license is good on the 13th.

The year they extended the draw deadline gave me a scare!

06-Feb-18
thanks to all. will be buying license today. Not worth the worry.

06-Feb-18
So with the drought this year, I'm curious is affecting WHERE everyone is applying? Different units than normal? or are some just getting points? and not risking their points?

06-Feb-18
Last year I purchased my license on the 14th of February so it expires on the 13th, so I should be good to go. I did the same thing back in 2015 using the 2014 license and I got my bonus point.

06-Feb-18
Trevor, the elk and PH were moved back because of pressure from applicants because of early hunts. Unfortunately, they forgot about early deer and the results come out 5 weeks before the hunt starts.

06-Feb-18
My license says valid until February 15. Still not risking it though.

06-Feb-18
thomas, I applied for the same two early archery bull hunts as last year with 14 NR bonus points. Drought be damned.

07-Feb-18
Fin little, I hear ya! u might draw with ppl changing their strategies with the drought. I guess it depends on how close u were to drawing. But I bet a decent portion of high point holders will sit on the sideline this yr

09-Feb-18
I just bought my Bonus point, I have 7 now.

My license that I bought last year says that it is valid on 2/13/18. So in other words, it expires at 12:00 am on 2/14/18.

The Website says that the application deadline is 11:59 pm on 2/13/18.

Therefore the license I bought last year is still good for 1 minute after the application deadline.

I'm going to save the $160 this year...

09-Feb-18
yeeeeuuup

Think I'll drop the hammer tomorrow. Bought my license yesterday with 2/13 start date.

10-Feb-18
Some guys are bailing out too early. We are always in a drought. And it looks like we’re going to have a pretty good rain coming in this next week. Besides I will take an Arizona elk tag drought or no drought.

10-Feb-18
Drought is a relative thing. I applied this year, and thank you to all the high point holders who are sitting this year out. I hunted AZ in 2002 when it was in a drought year, I didn't tag out but we had a good hunt none the less. That year they had good rains early, then the four months before the season they went into a drought and the Monsoons were late too. The lowers were great. The tops were weak and light with small fifths and sixths. Anyway, you just never know how it is going to turn out until closer to the hunt and then it is too late to draw. I'll leave it to the experts to figure out how an AZ drought will affect horn growth. Crossing my fingers for AZ elk tag.

10-Feb-18

del_binari's Link
I got curious and found this write up on horn growth and precipitation in AZ.

10-Feb-18
nevermind, answered my own question

10-Feb-18
Good stuff. We were fairly dry in January but it was only the 43rd driest on record

10-Feb-18
You have to be either really spoiled or really ignorant to not put in for elk in AZ because “drought” may affect horn growth. I would never pass up a chance to hunt elk in AZ in September for ANY reason.

10-Feb-18
I’m with Creed and Shrewski...^^^

11-Feb-18
I would gladly pay 20-30 inches of antler for a better chance to draw!

12-Feb-18
Man with 20 points on the line this seems like the hardest decision of my life!

12-Feb-18
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but didn't they extend the draw period a couple of times. What would happen if they did that again and your license expired at midnight?

12-Feb-18
nothing will happen

12-Feb-18
Yeah, a couple years ago the server went down on the last day so they extended the application period a couple days. I got nervous because my license expired on the day the application period was scheduled to end so I bought another license. My buddy Les Welch (and several others on Bowsite) were in the same boat and Les called AZ Game and Fish and was assured that he didn't need to buy another license. He ended up getting his point and all was good and I wasted the $160.

12-Feb-18
I just put in for my 10th point for elk. I do plan on chasing mule deer there this august. Hopefully some rain comes soon.

12-Feb-18
One more day left to apply

12-Feb-18
It is raining today, that misty not a lot rain that really soaks in. Supposed to be here through tomorrow.

Terry

12-Feb-18
Snowing on the North Kaibab

13-Feb-18
We got half an inch of rain, snowed briefly, but didn't stick. Supposed to get more Thursday/Friday. Need it badly, just 3 inches total for this year.

Terry

14-Feb-18
is it over? or did it crash again

15-Feb-18
Ended at 11:59 on the 13th. Cards need to be updated by the 1st of March. Hits are coming earlier this year I hope!

15-Feb-18
If they're consistent with the past few draw cycles, first hits will show up the morning of March 2nd.

• Sitka Gear