Paul@thefort 12-Feb-18
Shrewski 13-Feb-18
Paul@thefort 13-Feb-18
Paul@thefort 13-Feb-18
07-Feb-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Hunt 17. Feb. 14. Last hunt for the year

After missing a goose three times with the recurve yesterday, I decided to take both bows this morning. If a goose is within recurve range and under 15 yards, the stick. If farther out, the compound. What a great morning to be out with am temps in the mid 20s, and warming later. Slight wind from the North but just enough to activate the Wind Drifter Decoys that were mixed in with the Big Foot Decoys. This mixture of motion and stationary decoys is working very well and has accounted for a few more dead geese than normal. Sunrise at 7:03 and I was already in the blind but the geese did not fly until 7:46 am.

07-Feb-18

the sun was up and these 3 wt deer were checking me out. One is a small buck with a front leg limp
the sun was up and these 3 wt deer were checking me out. One is a small buck with a front leg limp
even Mr. Squirrel was busy this morning
even Mr. Squirrel was busy this morning
Wait! flock right over head. I grab my goose call and sound off. They are turning back
Wait! flock right over head. I grab my goose call and sound off. They are turning back
and landing within range. OK, Ok, which bow to use?
and landing within range. OK, Ok, which bow to use?

07-Feb-18

they drop in but too far for the recurve bow. The compound is in my hand. Range, 21 yards, arrow on its way, Wack!!!!!!!!!!!!!

07-Feb-18
Hell yes!!!

07-Feb-18

Broken wing and the goose heads in the direction of the pond and tried to join the flock.
Broken wing and the goose heads in the direction of the pond and tried to join the flock.
Chase is in the truck so I have to exit the blind and run the goose down.
Chase is in the truck so I have to exit the blind and run the goose down.
the flock sees me coming a takes flight leaving the wounded one to fend for its self.
the flock sees me coming a takes flight leaving the wounded one to fend for its self.

07-Feb-18
Retrieving this goose is usually not an problem as Chase would be on it quickly. But Chase was in truck 200 yards away so I made the mad dash towards the goose. In the goose's eye, it visions a large, upright monster coming after it. You are right, it did not stick around long but made a dash, with wings flaying, legs turning, all with loud guttural honks. It dove into the thicket, ducked under low limbs, and scrambled forward, almost faster that I could. One time I had to crawl after it under the low limbs. At the edge of the thick marsh cane, I grabbed it and dispatched it. Where was Chase when I needed him?. Wait, geese over head!

07-Feb-18

Geese over head. Yea, this pair lands just out side of the decoy spread and I am down near the pond
Geese over head. Yea, this pair lands just out side of the decoy spread and I am down near the pond
I sneak around, come back to the blind but have to enter the blind within view. They flew.
I sneak around, come back to the blind but have to enter the blind within view. They flew.

07-Feb-18

I get Chase and we hang out for the next hour. This Blue Heron circles the ice covered pond and tree lands.
I get Chase and we hang out for the next hour. This Blue Heron circles the ice covered pond and tree lands.
Red Wing Black birds are ready for Spring.
Red Wing Black birds are ready for Spring.

07-Feb-18

later this red fox is sighted where I had chased down the goose. Might be the fox from last year.
later this red fox is sighted where I had chased down the goose. Might be the fox from last year.
and a few minutes later, this young coyote pops out and sits down to look over the area and the fox
and a few minutes later, this young coyote pops out and sits down to look over the area and the fox
some very high flying geese
some very high flying geese

07-Feb-18

Chase stated, " remember guys, if you like what you saw, send more treats." THE END
Chase stated, " remember guys, if you like what you saw, send more treats." THE END
It has been an interesting goose hunting season. Add to the 40 geese from last year and then add the 14 this year (best to date), that makes 54 geese in the past 7 seasons. Most of that goose meat went into goose jerky but some was prepared for the oven or skillet. If I remember correctly, Chase made at least 50 retrieves and a few 150-200 yards away. He deserves a lot more treat than I gave him but then there is always tomorrow. Seems he is always hungry but ready to go. His 9th birthday in Feb. 14, Valentines Day.

I got one with the stick and of all of the geese shot, that one will stay in my mind the longest. Just seems reasonable because it was a bit harder to do.

So how I have to clean out the truck and put the decoys away until next December when I start all over again, for Season Eight.

Thanks for following along over the years, it makes the effort to post the story and pictures worth while. my best, Paul

07-Feb-18
Congrats and Thanks for sharing and we look forward to season 8.

07-Feb-18
Awesome job Paul. Its always a fantastic read and very welcomed this time of the year for sure!!!

07-Feb-18
Wonderful. Can’t wait Till Next year

07-Feb-18
Paul, thanks for taking all the time to post these goose adventures, I for one have thoroughly enjoyed it. Look forward to next years installment.

Maybe you should consider some “guest shooters”! Hint Hint... ;)

—Jim

07-Feb-18
Well done buddy!

07-Feb-18
Outstanding as always - way to git-er-done Paul.

07-Feb-18
Good read Paul and what a day seeing the variety of wildlife with a goose to boot. Great wrap up to the season.

07-Feb-18
Love this yearly thread. Thanks for taking the time to post them. Give Chase as many treats ad he wants.Such a cool looking dog.

07-Feb-18

Spike, it was surely a Photo day. If I had not been looking out that side of the blind for a few seconds, I would have missed the fox and coyote. Having "hunter's eyes" does help.

JT, I took OTCWill a few years ago and he made a great shot. He told me later, he will never look upon a goose the same as before. Now they are a "target of interest". It was zero degrees that morning. The property owner only allows me. But you are right, if allowed, I would share the experience.

07-Feb-18
Great season, Paul....thanks for bringing the stories and pics to us!

07-Feb-18
As usual, well done. Enjoyed the season. Also, since its come to an end....that can only mean one thing.....SPRING is near! Thanks Paul

07-Feb-18
Thanks for the adventure Paul. Give chase a treat he looks hungry.

07-Feb-18
Thanks for taking us along

07-Feb-18
Nice work Paul!

07-Feb-18
Did I miss something...why was Chase in the truck? As always, awesome pics and story telling!

07-Feb-18
Good stuff Paul! Have you ever tried head/neck shooting them with the Magnus bullheads?

08-Feb-18
Rich, explained in Part 6 when using the recurve bow

Tyler, NO. Just like turkey hunting , I am a body shooter not a neck chopper

08-Feb-18
Heck of a Goose Season for you Paul !

Thanks for taking us along.

What is next for ya before Turkey season?

Good luck, Robb

08-Feb-18
Congrats on a great Goose season.

08-Feb-18
Man Paul,looked like you were hunting outside a zoo,,congrats to you and chase on another great season...

08-Feb-18
Thanks for sharing! I just started goose hunting 3 yrs ago... with boom stick.

Haven't tried with bow... yet.

These posts have me thinking about it though, for sure.

08-Feb-18
Paul Navarre the man the legend !

08-Feb-18

Bulelk1. you ask, "What is next before turkey season?" I am the CBA Banquet Chairman for the state wide, Annual Awards and Fund Raising Banquet to be held here in Ft. Collins on mid March. So I am up to my "ears" in that. Two week after that, I will be in the turkey woods. I am sure there will be a story coming. Paul

08-Feb-18
Well, that is not me in the above picture BUT I am proud to support our troops as I was one of them back in the day,

08-Feb-18
Patrick, not quiet a Zoo, but a unique place to hunt them for sure. Very fortunate to have it. Would be interesting to add up all the the days and hours I spent on this property for the past 7 seasons to kill 54 geese. That is 7.5 geese per year divided by, (average of 15 day hunts) equals less than .5 geese per day. Not as good as the shot gunners, but ok for a bow. Looking forward to it again next year. Seven years, time goes my quickly. Picture of first goose seven years ago. my best, Paul

08-Feb-18

goose hunt 7 years ago. I positioned the blind next to the pine trees near the garage and facing SE. Had the sun in my face so the following year, set up on the opposite end of the field with the sun behind (dark in the blind) and now facing towards where the geese are coming from. That first two years I only killed 3-4 geese but improve that as I learned when the geese flew, their patterns, decoy placement, effective shooting range, the aid of a range finder for the longer shots, and my calling has improved a lot.

08-Feb-18
Paul your threads continue to be some of the best on Bowsite. Thank you so much for taking the time to share them with us. Jeff

08-Feb-18
Always enjoy your goose hunts!!

08-Feb-18

Thanks guys

09-Feb-18

Here is the fox from last year. Good chance the one I saw was the same. Last time I saw a coyote in the area was 3 years ago. The Whitetailed deer were not in the area until two years ago but have not see any big buck. Still a good group of Mule Deer around.

09-Feb-18
Wow, that fox looks like he's been groomed - beautiful.

11-Feb-18
Paul- Thanks for posting again. You two hombres had quite the season!

One other nice thing about zipping those tonks with the stick and string is no worries about chomping into a big old steel BB, T, or F!

11-Feb-18
Duke, "ain't" that the truth and no lead poisoning.

12-Feb-18
Bob, that fox is a beauty. I believe it is a adult male. I was very surprised to see the young coyote around as I have not seem any for the past few years.

12-Feb-18
Paul, congrats on a great season, you're really getting the decoying sets and calling down!

Thanks much for taking the time to bring us along. It's a blast, great stories and pics.... look forward to it every year (hint, hint....) =D

12-Feb-18
When you saw that coyote, did you consider taking him (if you could)?

12-Feb-18

Bob, no, it was over 100 yards away. If it had been in bow range, Yes. I tried to squeak it in. He heard it but then moved over and just sat down and later was gone.

13-Feb-18

Shrewski's Link
Paul, just saw you on Instagram.

https://instagram.com/p/BfKMLMhheAa/

13-Feb-18
Hey Steve. Yea, my 10 seconds of fame. It was cold that morning and my mouth would not work well when explaining the hunt. There is a 4 minute version on the WindDrifter, Ultimate Predator web site. Fun hunt. Hope you are well and ready for Spring turkeys. my best, Paul

13-Feb-18

TD, I have been watching live geese land and then feed. Many times when they land, (especially if there is snow on the ground or if the ground/grass is frozen some)they lie down with only a few others standing watch or moving slowly. So now I remove 2/3 of the Big Foot decoys legs and bed them down. I makes for a more realistic set up with resting geese. And then adding a few Wind Drifter goose decoys has really helped, especially the feeders.

• Sitka Gear