SBH 10-Feb-18
stick slinger 10-Feb-18
EmbryOklahoma 10-Feb-18
BOWUNTR 10-Feb-18
otcWill 10-Feb-18
08-Feb-18

ChasingFAHL's Link
Hey everyone,

I just pieced together a video of how I do my euro mounts. If you've ever wanted to learn how to do it for very little money check out the link below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzgS8jRmsAU&t=4s

08-Feb-18
Good video, I do the same more or less. No pressure washing but I do the same with the paper towels and the H2O2. This year, after the H2O2 paper towel soak, while it was still wet, I took an old toothbrush and some Comet Cleanser and gave it a good scrub down before the final rinse.

08-Feb-18
Thank you! Did the comet cleanser do anything additional for you?

09-Feb-18
Hard to say, it may have made it a little whiter, every year I do something a little different and every year they get a little better.

09-Feb-18
I do similar except you'd never catch me blowing the brains out while wearing $1400 worth of hunting clothing lol. I get out the crappiest old rain suit and rubber boots that are essentially reserved for skull washing. Man that stuff and brains fly everywhere no matter how hard you try.

I also have 40% peroxide that is the thickness of white glue. Simply pour on and spread around and leave for 12 hours. Places that supply hair salons sell it.

09-Feb-18
Nice job. Thanks for sharing.

09-Feb-18
ohio, it doesn't dry in 12 hours. Funny you say that about the dampness cause I have noticed that and always get the peroxide on as fast as I can after pressure washing. I also scramble brains prior to cooking.

09-Feb-18

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
Soon, there will be that one guy that says... "you should use beetles". :)

I've done numerous with the same process you guys speak of but they were always fresh skulls/kills. Anyone have any recommendations for this buck? It's a buddies deer that he shot back in late November and just found.

09-Feb-18
I did a couple euro the last couple weeks. I noticed when I was done and dried I have lots of white flakes coming off of the bone. Did I boil them to long?

This is before I have done any bleaching. Thanks.

09-Feb-18
Here is the product that I have been using for 25 years Soda Ash, commonly called Sal Soda, is used to dissolve meat, fat and grease when boiling skulls and antler plates. Simply add Soda Ash to boiling water and immerse the skull or antler plate As the water boils, turn the heat low, simmering, keep an eye on it otherwise it will boil over. Use a coffee cup per a gallon water

09-Feb-18
I also use soda ash(sodium carbonate).

I add the dish soap on the last water change and simmer.

09-Feb-18
I put some Borax in the water with dish soap and it helps clean and whiten the skull.

09-Feb-18
Anybody find his video on how he makes his homemade skull hookers?

09-Feb-18
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the responses and the additional tips! Im no expert but Ive done about a dozen skulls and I seem to learn a little something with each additional one.

APauls--- lol. My rain suit was the sitka that I was wearing in the video and I figured a little deer brain was no worse that the deer blood and guts that I got on it from my November buck.

Cheesehead Mike-- That video will be out next week on my youtube channel Chasing FAHL.

EmbryOklahoma-- Do that skull as quickly as you can. Ive found the longer they sit the harder they are to get fully whitened.

Also, I NEVER boil my skulls, its just a simmer. I also don't use bleach since I tried it once and found that it makes things more brittle. My take away from this last skull was that peroxide doesn't work as well when its cold so plan on a little extra time or keep the skull in a heated area.

10-Feb-18
For the brain... put a plastic bag over the brain stem hole, cut a small hole, insert air hose, hit with a couple blasts of air and the entire brain will pop out into the bag in 10 seconds. If you do it right, zero mess. Ed F

10-Feb-18
Ed, you cut a small hole in the plastic bag and insert the air into that? Or do you insert the air into a hole in the skull? Also, I assume you do that after you boil right? Matt

10-Feb-18
Insert the air nozzle in the hole in the bag. Then put the nozzle in the cranium hole with the bag loosely covering the back of the head. Hit the air and the brain blows out the cranium hole and into the bag.

I use beetles so I do this first. The goal is to get it clean so I remove brain, eyes, lower jaw... before it goes in the bugs. Ed F

10-Feb-18
Thanks

10-Feb-18
I’ll be the guy that says “Hey you should just use beatles”. I bought some off of eBay and fed them for a couple weeks and then put in my skull. (Not mine, but the deers). It was a stinky mess. I had them in the shed in an old freezer with a heater on a thermostat. Checked on them one day and the heater had crapped out. They all froze, but the skull was done (enough). Next time I’ll boil, but it was a fun experiment and I’d do it again (maybe) if I had a couple skulls to do.

10-Feb-18
Thanks fellas, I'm going to do skull in the next week.

10-Feb-18
I'm the beetle guy... 50-100 skulls a year. Total labor into a deer euro for me 15-30 minutes complete. The learning curve made me efficient. My beetles are happy and so am I... Ed F

10-Feb-18
Bet I could win a Hacksidermy contest. World champion maybe. My basement is a pile of stuff like Embry's first pic ( lil better maybe) That's if I don't let the dog get em :)

• Sitka Gear