Trial153 12-Feb-18
South Farm 12-Feb-18
walking buffalo 12-Feb-18
caribou77 12-Feb-18
sschindler 12-Feb-18
09-Feb-18

Fuzz's embedded Photo
Fuzz's embedded Photo
As a rookie to the moose hunting game with an upcoming hunt... I'm asking the if experienced moose hunters agree with the diagram of this moose. As posted on other threads, some of these animal diagrams are way off.

Thanks for any input you may have!

09-Feb-18
Looks good to me Fuzz. I've only hunted moose once but the photo looks consistent with other deer species and how my bull looked while field dressing.

09-Feb-18
I field dressed 3 this fall and one other one. Never heard different, and from looking at them they are just a bigger deer. Think whitetail but larger. And they've got crazy thick leather.

09-Feb-18
Based on the 2 moose I shot, the scapula goes higher and is more part of the shoulder hump

09-Feb-18
deer don't have that hump and moose get shot high often

09-Feb-18

Shiras's embedded Photo
Shiras's embedded Photo
This shot placement...

09-Feb-18

Shiras's embedded Photo
Shiras's embedded Photo
lead to this hole.

09-Feb-18
I always tried to tuck it in under the arm pit as the close side leg went forward. That way if you don't get heart you get those big lungs. As Bou said don't shoot the hump LOL be surprised how many do. Also they are big and most people think they are closer than they are and shoot low ! So range them if you can or go to a 3d shoot that has one set up. At the course here the moose is the one that always gets missed. They set it out in the open at 60 yards or so and everyone thinks its 40. Can't hardly believe so many experienced archers could miss such a big target ! I know first time they had it I did !

09-Feb-18
Thank you all for the responses! I was surprised that the front legs bone was that far ahead.

09-Feb-18
It's also that far ahead on a whitetail and an elk. See BB's shot placement threads that are kind of iconic. I generally aim based on where the leg meets the bottom line of the animal which I guess is why I could care about a the hump on the top of the shoulder. Put it pretty much 6-24" straight up using the back of the front leg as a vertical line and you're golden. The kill zone is huge.

09-Feb-18
X2 “straight up using the back of the front leg as a vertical line and you're golden.”

Based on the moose that I have shot this solid advice. I personally almost lost a bull shot broadside in the arm pit with the leg forward. Hit opposite shoulder so no exit. Bull went about four hundred yards. Hit the very front of the lungs. Six inches back and four to six down would have been ideal.

09-Feb-18

sschindler's embedded Photo

09-Feb-18

09-Feb-18

09-Feb-18
Fuzz the original picture is not a great one. the leg bone is too far forward or the vitals are too far back. generally the leg bone is covering a portion of the heart. the second photo that Schindler posted I would say is the most accurate only thing I would change is shift the heart slightly further back so that there is no heart visible in front of the leg bone.

Straight up the back of the leg 6-20 inches. they have huge lungs. I personally wouldn't shoot for heart if you hit the leg bone you might run into a big problem. double lung they go nowhere.

I have guided and butched 37 moose. funny enough I have never personally shot one....

09-Feb-18

You don't want to crowd that leg bone, don't go for the pocket, leave room for error

09-Feb-18
Dually noted Tyler! Thanks again guys!

10-Feb-18
The diagrams and photos that Steve posted are accurate. ..pay close attention not to aim too high....use the rule of thirds...

11-Feb-18
If your arrow enters and exits the rib cage, it should hit the lungs. They're gigantic. I think the first diagram is conservative on how far back the vitals go, meaning that you'd have a dead moose if you hit it a little behind the vital area in that picture.

One more observation: be ready to shoot him again, and do so if possible!

12-Feb-18
1/3 way up tucked into the pocket or 1/2 way up and just bit back farther....

12-Feb-18
Let it never be said Shiras doesn't have a huge heart!

12-Feb-18

walking buffalo's Link
The OP diagram and the second post by sschindler are Very poor in showing correct skeletal posture.

They show the spine positioned MUCH to high. And the ribs are wrong too....

Sschindler's third diagram is better.... The spine runs MUCH lower over the chest cavity, and ribs are angled backwards, Not vertical.

This link has some good dissection photos and diagrams, including the third one from sschindler.

12-Feb-18
Thanks for all the info guys. I too will be bowhunting bulls this fall. Hard to believe I'm 6 months away!

12-Feb-18
one other thing about a moose, we all know they are big, judging their distance is a bit challenging they seem closer than they really are,

• Sitka Gear