LBshooter 11-Feb-18
Dotman 17-Feb-18
bighorn 17-Feb-18
TXHunter 17-Feb-18
Topgun 30-06 17-Feb-18
Jethro 18-Feb-18
Shrewski 18-Feb-18
09-Feb-18
My hunting buddy just called to ask about the sheep tag raffle and was told a California hunter called right when they went on sale and bought all 300 tickets. Major bummer, always enjoyed the extra chance at a tag.

09-Feb-18
Where’s my popcorn!

09-Feb-18
Get a rope....

09-Feb-18
The person he talked with said it would not happen next year.

09-Feb-18
lord, I hope it wasn't Altimus..

09-Feb-18
Bummer always enjoyed my chance. Hunt

09-Feb-18
Are you sure it was for a Sheep tag? That would be something new. They usually have an elk tag for raffle.

A Wyoming Sheep tag sold for 95000 at the WSF auction last month.

09-Feb-18
Yep, sheep tag, I believe it is a commissioners tag. Someone usually alerts us that they are on sale. Quite a few of us have been buying a chance or two each year.

09-Feb-18
Sorry, I could be wrong. It may be an Elk tag.

09-Feb-18
You are correct stick, it was for the Elk tag. Sorry for the mixup.

09-Feb-18
I want my rope back.

09-Feb-18
Well you can't have it

09-Feb-18
The tickets are $50 each. 300x50=$15k. That's pretty cheap. I've seen them go way over that at various auctions.

09-Feb-18
Ok, keep my rope, hang 'em high.

09-Feb-18
I'm busy hanging myself with it

09-Feb-18
Why would Wyoming BH allow one person to buy them all up. If they sell all the tickets each year why allow this, it sounds like this will be the new trend, say goodbye to the raffle.

09-Feb-18
I don’t believe the raffle will disappear. Most likely will have a limit though on how many tickets each person can purchase. I’d say 10 or 15 ticket limit is sufficient. Now the question is, what to do with this extra $150 I’ve been hiding from my wife for the last month? Ha

09-Feb-18
And yes… definitely hang that guy!

09-Feb-18
That's crap. I won't go to the Hunt Expo in SLC and instead poney up for some of these raffle tickets.

09-Feb-18
Cmon man!

09-Feb-18
Even stores have a "limit 2 per person" on popular sale items....this is BS.

09-Feb-18
I called BOW a couple weeks ago as I’d not seen the normal post here with tickets for sale. Got the same story but they also said they were trying to procure another.

10-Feb-18
$15k for a pick a unit State Wide Elk is way cheap.

He must have done it On-line ( they are listed as available) I am sure he would have been told over the phone they wouldn't do that as BOW is very fair to all members.

Good luck, Robb

10-Feb-18
They need to amend the rules as that seems like it’s against the spirit of the raffle.

10-Feb-18
Question: I have bought the raffle in the past. I thought that you could choose antelope, elk or other species. Am I thinking wrong or are there different raffles?? Thanks

10-Feb-18
Commissioners tags are generally elk , deer or antelope and are NOT state wide. You have to pick one species and one unit.

10-Feb-18
The WGFD commissioner license is as stated for deer, elk, antelope not sheep. This was a new problem that came up this year. It will probably change for the future. The tickets were actually on our web site for sale for a few days before the one person decided to buy them all. We have only sold out of tickets once since we started selling them this way. In the past we had an auction that only people with deep pockets could play the game so we changed to this format so everyone could play now we need to revise. Looking at the positive though all that money will be going to various projects in the state of Wyoming and that's what it's all about. We are sorry it happened this year. It's always fun to have the winning ticket draw at the BOW banquet in March and this year that won't happen. Bowsite and it's members have always supported this raffle and we thank you for that. Again sorry for the disappointment. Thank you. Jeff Capron

10-Feb-18
Big disappointment. I buy those tickets every year, like I am sure others do. Thanks for letting us know and hopefully you can resolve it so it doesn’t happen next year.

10-Feb-18
Glad that BOW was able to sell out all the raffle chances, bummed that I couldn't get in on the fun!

Hopefully you will be able to set it up so a bunch of guys get the chance next year.

10-Feb-18
Thanks for clearing this up Jeff. Sorry about the earlier posts about it being a sheep tag, I have sheep on the brain lately. It's not that big a deal, I'm sure we will support BOW if they decide to continue with raffle in the future. Now if I hit one of those NR area 22 tags in the draw, I'm gonna need some good intel!

10-Feb-18
It’s not like those tickets wouldn’t have sold out anyway.

10-Feb-18
I don't think the buyer got all 300 tickets. I went online to buy one shortly after they went on sale. There were about 280 tickets left. The next day they were sold out. There is a slight chance that buyer won't win. Reviewing the 2017 commissioner licenses, the vast majority sold for less than the $15k it would cost to buy all 300 tickets

10-Feb-18
Well here's hoping the 1 of the 20 tickets wins, what a dick move.

10-Feb-18
I'm with you lou. Let's all raise our glass tonight and toast to some d******** getting what they deserve.

10-Feb-18
What are your ideas on how this should happen in the future? Like I stated we've only sold out one time. We need to sell the tickets so we can turn that money around for the good of Wyoming hunting. I know some have already said to set a limit on the # you can buy (probably a good idea) but like I say we need to sell out!!! I want ideas that I can take to the executive council meeting in March. Bowsite member ideas need to be brought up. Again you guys have been very good to BOW in the past, that's why I ask. Thanks. Jeff Capron

10-Feb-18
I think we all assumed this sold out every year. If it doesn’t sell out I don’t have a problem with this guy buying all of them.

10-Feb-18
I know there are at least a few very well known outfitters that have booths each year at the giant Harrisburg outdoor show. If any of them are members you could ask if they wouldn't mind putting up a sign and trying to sell a few. As far as Bowsite, maybe once a week posting how many tickets are left. A lot of guys only check the site once in a while and I'm sure a lot of guys would buy a chance, but are unaware of the raffle. That would keep the info toward the top occasionally. I didn't realize they were on sale myself for this year. Put on a 2 ticket per week limit if that would feasible or even possible.

10-Feb-18
Regardless of if the tickets sold out in the past I think that this is a negative to the spirit of the raffle. I would argue that it would be better to sell 200 tickets to 200 sportsman giving them an involvement and exposure to the organization and the cause. Then selling 300 tickets to one person and Alienating the other 199 individuals, and leaving them Disenfranchised.

10-Feb-18
I buy tickets every year to support BOW knowing that most likely I won't win. If someone chooses to support the organization by purchasing all of the tickets to support BOW causes then great. The raffle is about supporting the cause not for passing out participation trophies. For someone to say they should sell less tickets and make less money to support their club IMHO is short sighted. Take the money that you saved on buying the ticket and join the club instead. Im sure that they would appreciate the support.

10-Feb-18
The buying of all the tickets has nothing to do with philanthropy and all to do with guaranteeing that they win the permit. All it does is reinforce the over monetization of our sport. The most valuable commodity an organization has is the time that is given by its members . You don’t recruit and retain new members by disenfranchising the people that you need to participate. I think it’s obvious from the Jeff’s statement that the organization isn’t looking at this a good thing. Furthermore that they are now seaking ways to prevent this from happening again shows that they are of good intentions and actions. I look forward to supporting their raffle in the future like I have in the past.

10-Feb-18
Jeff,

Why set a limit at 300 tickets? Make them unlimited. Then that lady from CA can buy 300 and the rest of us can buy 300 and it’s still better odds than drawing, say any WY sheep tag or any good deer or elk tag without max points. That gets more money for your projects. I look at it every year as a donation. Heck most of the time I already have plans and would end up giving the commissioners tag to a buddy.

10-Feb-18
And I am pulling for the very few that got a ticket before they were all gobbled up by the rich bastard :-)

10-Feb-18
I had been buying them every year to support BOW and their wildlife projects. Last year, I joined the association as well. Even though I know I'll never win, it was fun to throw my name in the hat. I'm glad the tickets all got sold at least but disappointed I won't get to play the lottery this year.

Maybe put a limit on how many can be sold but I'm sure if someone wants to buy them all, they'll just buy them under different friends and relatives names.

11-Feb-18
Let's be realistic. There needs to be a limited number of tickets or most won't buy one for $50. The simple solution is to up the number of tickets to 400 or 500. If someone really wants to buy them all (and pay $20-25K) then the state of WY wins. Few if any will pay that much as there are cheaper ways to buy Commissioner licenses. (Most licenses auctioned only go for about $10-12K.) If you really feel you MUST put a limit on the number of chances a guy can buy, make it 100. If someone wants to pony up $5K for a 1:4 or 1:5 chance to win, good for him.

While it is easy to be emotional about this, realize the state did get extra money this year, and as a result BOW will have an easier time getting these licenses in the future. While I won't have a chance to win this license (I always bought a chance or two), it is a win for wildlife.

Bill

11-Feb-18
With all the avenues out there besides bowsite, it should be a piece of cake to sell 300 of these tickets. I never knew if this raffle until I saw it here. If you allow one guy to buy all the tickets, you will alienate a lot of people. Put a cap on how many tags you can buy and market the raffle more heavily.

11-Feb-18
Maybe that guy from California will get eaten by a mountain lion and they can hold another raffle with the tag! Grrr!

11-Feb-18
For what it's worth, in Colorado there's no limit on the number of $25.00 tickets sold for their statewide deer, elk, pronghorn, moose, sheep, and goat raffles. But they do place a 25-ticket purchase limit on each individual, to prevent a scenario such as the one described above. That system seems to work extremely well. Bowsite member 'CO Oak' could tell you for sure, but I believe they are selling somewhere around 4000 tickets for sheep alone. I understand that the WY commissioner's tags are a little different, but the demand should still be very high.

11-Feb-18
Thank you to those that have offered up suggestions. I as board member have no interest in not selling fewer tickets, remember this about habitat, youth education and making Wyoming better. Along with anything things cost money. We've tried to sell these tickets various ways (they all cost money). I would rather not spend the money on advertising, paying someone commission, etc. and put the money on the ground!!! Believe it or not we've listened to Bowsite members quite a bit about selling raffle tickets. In anything everyone has a stance. Some want to keep ticket #'s low so they have a better chance to win. Some want to go big and advertise but at the same time that burns up all the proceeds in the raffle (on the ground is the objective). We try to keep the price lower so everyone can afford to get a chance to get in the game. There will never be a perfect solution but hopefully we can clean it up so it goes better next year if we are granted another tag. Thanks.

11-Feb-18
Although I will miss buying a raffle ticket, my membership to BOW is a worthy cause. I will be re-upping again this year.

11-Feb-18
The only problem I see here is the number of raffle tickets which are available should be unlimited, or at least more than the Open Zone tag sold for at the last Sheep Show.

If one guy wants to spring for that much money, so be it. The Dept. gets what they needed either way and the financial benefit for wild sheep conservation is also what they needed.

11-Feb-18
What about a limit of 5 or 10 tickets per person and then the last week before the raffle no limit for the remaining tickets. At least everyone gets a chance to buy in.

17-Feb-18
I would post the raffle on multiple web forums. Keep it updated weekly and I bet you sell out. AES does this and they sell out their Swaro raffles fast.

17-Feb-18
LBshooter has a good idea. Sell a limit to a buyer and after a certain date no limit.

17-Feb-18
Any limits at all will do away with buys on a massive scale-which I presume would be the point, but also means more marketing efforts must be brought to bear if all the tickets have not sold out in the past.

There is no magic bullet to have both massive ticket buys and buys spread out among many because concepts are at odds with one another.

17-Feb-18
From: bighorn 17-Feb-18 LBshooter has a good idea. Sell a limit to a buyer and after a certain date no limit.

***That was also the suggestion I was going to make. Allow someone to buy a max of maybe 5 until a certain set date and then open it up to as many as a person wants with no limit as of that date. It's really surprising that when this raffle was started that there wasn't a rule in place to preclude someone from doing what this person did, but I'd bet by next year there will be!

18-Feb-18
Dotman, I agree. Between Bowsite, Rok, Hunttalk, Wapiti, and Eastmans there would have to be 300 guys that want a ticket. Maybe it is talked about on those other forums but I've only heard about it here in the past.

18-Feb-18
I’m glad it sold out. Not thrilled that only a few guys got in before the California lady but I sure hope one of those few win it!

I hope she wasn’t an anti, but if she was, that money is going to go to the wildlife. I see one of the commissioner tags is going to fund a little league team. That’s ridiculous.

• Sitka Gear