LKH 02-May-18
TD 03-May-18
Scrappy 03-May-18
'Ike' (Phone) 03-May-18
Mossyhorn 03-May-18
09-Feb-18

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
No reason not to go out hunting on Thanksgiving now :)

09-Feb-18
Chili Mac is still the best:)

09-Feb-18
It could be my imagination, but weren't the Mountain House meals Larger in the past.

Is this the new 3 lb coffee can???

09-Feb-18
I could eat Mountain House at home...the Chili is very good. I used to eat the 20 oz. size for dinner as the single serving was too small. I like the individual packages for variety.

10-Feb-18
Man, that chili mac is rough on the way out. I do love me some sweet and sour pork though! There's a chicken breast one I tried this past year which was very good also.

10-Feb-18
I think I’m bugling to give the Humble Foods freeze dried meals a try soon. I’m still a MHouse fan though, hard to beat.

10-Feb-18
I go hunting on Thanksgiving to avoid turkey dinner!

10-Feb-18
That sounds good. I’m going to give it a try. My 2 favorites are chicken ala king and beef stroganoff. Chili mac is ok but can cause some heartburn.

All of their eggs suck but biscuits and gravy are pretty good.

10-Feb-18
I’m with Bowboy. Chili Mac is the gift that keeps on giving. That turkey dinner casserole looks like it would be really good, too. The chicken teriyaki is at the bottom of my list.

10-Feb-18
Packed in with a guy that brought to much MH chili, he couldn't stand himself, me neither. At least we had our own tent. Back east the buzzards would have been swirling!

10-Feb-18
And I do like MH meals.

12-Feb-18
I stay clear of any mt house with beans......it’s bad enough with out the beans. Mt house should come with its own supply of baby wipes

12-Feb-18
spaghetti and the lasagna on a rotation for 10 days is always good!

Mark

12-Feb-18
+1 Mark

12-Feb-18
Sweet & Sour Pork is my fav, but I will try the turkey dinner for sure

View post on imgur.com

12-Feb-18
Always save chilemac till 3rd or 4th day to relieve pressure from all the protien bars.

12-Feb-18
Yep...Spag and Lasg are my fav's. You can have the chilimac. (instant enema) I used to love the blue berries and granola for breakfast, but now I can't eat it. Don't know why, just can't stomach it...

12-Feb-18
I could eat the Biscuits and Gravy every day for a month on the mountain and not tire of it.

12-Feb-18
After reading about the ChiliMac I have stayed well away from it, but I do like several of the others. I buy the #10 cans from Amazon when they are on sale and then portion them out into better sizes for myself and run them through the vacuum machine a day before I head out. It saves a ton of money compared to buying them in the individual pouches.

12-Feb-18
Mac and cheese with a tuna pack. Lasagna and spaghetti for mountain house. Biscuit and gravy is also way better than I expected . I enjoy backcountry pantry also. Hunt

12-Feb-18
Who’s in favor of changing the picture on the package?

Nobody dressed like that is eating freeze dried!! Put some climbers or some mountain hunters on that package.

12-Feb-18
With you on that TEmbry. Biscuits and gravy is my go to. And is tolerable if you don't put enough water. Haha!

29-Apr-18
Anyone seeing any deals on MH yet?

29-Apr-18
I usually stick with old reliable beef stew and chicken stew, but am willing to give it a try. Mike

29-Apr-18
No more Mtn House for me - ha!

I will most likely be hunting on turkey day this year :^)

29-Apr-18
Looks like it could be good...... have to try it.....

Then again..... one of the first times I had MH I was impressed.... "this stuff is good!".

Then I brought some home to show Coach how great this stuff was...... it was.... edible....

Something somehow had gotten lost in translation between starving on the mountain and in a kitchen with fresh ingredients, granite countertops and stainless steel appliances....

29-Apr-18
After 500+ of them lifetime, I can't stand them anymore. The lasagna and spagetti make me vomit just smelling them. The chili mac is the most ridiculous thing you'll ever put in your intestines - I wonder if you even get any nutrition out of it because I think the bacteria in your gut convert the entire meal into methane. The only dinner I can choke down is the chicken breast/mashed potatoes and I hate chicken. I drown it in red pepper to give it flavor.

I just live off of coconut chocolate chip cliff bars, wasabi soy sauce almonds, corn nuts, jerky, dry cheese/salami, and dried mangoes anymore. If I go back country, I choke down the chicken breast meals because I need the protein/wt savings, but back country fish and small game/birds become more and more important to me every year.

I'm so over Mountain House. Too many 2 week trips where it was the only thing I ate.

29-Apr-18
That’s a lot of mountain house, Ike. I can’t blame you.

30-Apr-18
I have high blood pressure, no more Mountain House for me! Researching better options now! Just ordered some Off Grid, waiting for Humble Foods to hit the market, also looking at off the shelf at the grocery store choices but I really like the idea of the one and done meals like Mountain House makes with less sodium!

30-Apr-18
I guess I have an iron gut! LOL! I eat Mtn House at home sometimes when I have nothing else in the house. It is good stuff! Favorites are Chicken Teriyaki, Sweet and Sour Pork, Chili Mac, beef stew, beef stroganoff and Mexican Rice. I'll definitely look for the Turkey Dinner- I LOVE Turkey and stuffing! : )

30-Apr-18
Can't believe no one has commented on the Mountain House Chicken and Dumplings. Those are really good.

30-Apr-18
I'm with Mark and Kota-man.......Spaghetti and Lasagne here....although I find all of them pretty palatable.....sodium not withstanding.

30-Apr-18
Anyone compared the Heathers Choice line to Mtn House?

30-Apr-18
Chili Mac, Sweet and Sour Pork, Lasagna, and Beef Stroganoff are my favorites from Mountain House. Backpacker's Pantry also has some good stuff, esp. their Mexican and Thai themed meals.

30-Apr-18
76aggie I just had the chicken and dumplings for lunch today and absolutely loved it. Definitely my favorite one and the wife liked it as well.

30-Apr-18
"Then again..... one of the first times I had MH I was impressed.... "this stuff is good!"."

The first time I had Mtn. House was on my first sheep hunt. I couldn't wait to get back to civiization so I could get some real food.

That said, my guide had pre-selected the Mtn. House dinners and they were in no way what I would ever want to eat.

30-Apr-18
The Alpine Aire stuff is pretty good.

02-May-18
One of the bonuses of Mountain House is the package makes a great fire starter, even when wet. Just strip and light.

03-May-18
Health/heart is good, I'm not too preoccupied with the sodium.... if you're hunting hard the sodium should take care of itself as you sweat it out. I remember having to take salt tabs (many years ago) during summer 2-a-days in football or I'd pass out.....

"Doc, I passed out at football practice yesterday!"

"Here son.... take these salt tablets in the morning and you should be good...." It worked. These days they'd likely sue him for not doing an MRI......

03-May-18
I remember those two a days, you just need more salt pills son. Now get up and walk those cramps off.

03-May-18
Just picked up some, good to 2048.. Now that's a shelf life!

03-May-18
I like the spaghetti and lasagna. But that lasagna cheese is hard to get off the Spork!

• Sitka Gear