sticksender 15-Feb-18
Biker 15-Feb-18
Brotsky 15-Feb-18
Charlie Rehor 15-Feb-18
skipmaster1 15-Feb-18
Brotsky 15-Feb-18
Joe Holden 15-Feb-18
15-Feb-18
I am looking into getting a Black Gold Ascent Verdict 5 pin sight. I plan on sighting my pins in at 20,30,40,50,60. 60 would be my floater. Would anyone have an idea of what my sight tape might be with 60 being my floater such as max distance on the tape? Would it be more logical to custom order and have a 7 pin for a little bit further distance on the sight tape? This sight will be going on a Hyperforce at 70 pounds shooting Easton FMJ 340 and my draw length is 27.5". Any insight is welcome as this is the first time using a sight with a floater.

15-Feb-18
You're probably going to end up with about 100-110 yards. I prefer to set my slider up with my floating pin towards the middle of my housing. It makes your longer distance shots much more precise IMO. If you do that you'll only get 90-100 yards unless you have a real low anchor point/high peep. It also depends upon how far out in front of the riser you put your housing. Lots of variables.

15-Feb-18
Would the standard 4" ascent verdict bar be enough or would the longer 7 targets bar be better? Also, if your floater would be in the middle say your 3 pin of the five what are you doing with your two below that for distances?

15-Feb-18
The further the sight housing is from the riser the larger your pin gap is going to be, so the more adjustment you will need to make on your dial.

I only use a 3 pin slider. I feel using more pins than that defeats the purpose but a lot of guys do like a 5 pin. I set my bottom pin of the 3 in the middle of the housing and then dial it in for 40 yards. The top 2 are set at 20 and 30. My tape starts at 40 and goes to 100. I get 100 yards out of mine shooting an Xpedition Xcentric 70# 29" with a 495gr .300 Easton FMJ. Any further than 100 I run out of broadhead clearance with my housing. I would have to raise my peep to get more.

15-Feb-18
Last year I hunted with a 5 pin accent dove tail - Halon 60lb, 27.5" draw, VAP arrow (peep height is around 6"). I like to set my 'zero' position all the way at the top by moving to the top holes on the site bracket and dial to the top (20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 60 floater) - so it's easy to find the 'starting point/zero'. The tape I used went out to 100 but it seemed like there was quite a bit more space - not sure how far I could have actually went if I would have manually started writing distances on a blank white tape or similar but think I could have gotten another 20 for sure... You'll like it - nice to be able to practice at those really far distances you'll never 'hunt' at - but just makes the longer hunting shots that much easier.

15-Feb-18
The reason I want to go 5 pins is most the hunting I do is in more open country and don’t wanna have to adjust my sight for say a 50 yard shot. But would like the ability to shoot further in practice situations and if the proper opportunity presented itself in the field. And broadhead clearance is something I have not considered up to this point so I’ll have to put that in the mix as I hope to shoot Ramcats

15-Feb-18
You'll be fine out to 100 yards with the sight tapes they provide. Their tapes all top out at 100 yards. You will probably be in the 270-280 fps range with your set-up. With that tape, you might possibly be able to add a mark for 110 on the tape. You could always make or purchase your own tapes if you really need more yardage, i.e., a tape that has 60 at the top as the first yardage. Then you could probably get to 140 or so, within the stroke of that slider.

15-Feb-18
with todays bows i find it strange how guys are still doing the old school 20 30 40 50 60 , how can u even put a gap in between pins on todays bows for 20 and 30 yard .

15-Feb-18
"how can u even put a gap in between pins on todays bows for 20 and 30 yards?"

Easy, you shoot a heavy arrow and get your sight housing out in front of the riser.

15-Feb-18
I’m set up the same as Brotsky. Sweet spot for me!

15-Feb-18
The standard tapes only go to 100 yards. I shoot a 3 pin slider, 30-40-50 and slide out to 100. I have more room to slide/still have clearance but I need another tape. Mostly I'm sliding for practice as I rarely shoot deer past 60 yards and I can gap that without taking time to slide

15-Feb-18
If you're new to these sights make darn sure you have enough room to get your broadhead/fletching past your sight housing as you dial it down. You draw back and hit your housing with a broadhead and it pulls the string out of your nock or hit the housing with a blade after release it's going to be bad juju.

15-Feb-18
Could always do a 25/40/50/60/70

• Sitka Gear