Ron Niziolek 16-Feb-18
KB 16-Feb-18
WYelkhunter 17-Feb-18
Topgun 30-06 17-Feb-18
IdyllwildArcher 17-Feb-18
midwest 17-Feb-18
KB 18-Feb-18
16-Feb-18
Trying to provide a better quality hunt perhaps.

16-Feb-18
I would think that has to be their reason for removing the Type 1 tag holders from hunting the September archery season. I wonder how many people applied for 41 and 45 thinking they would be able to do that and didn't see in the tentative regulations that it will no longer be allowed this coming season if the Commission vote in April goes as anticipated. IMHO after seeing the influx of Type 1 tag holders the last two weeks of September in 2015 and 2016 when I was helping two friends on their Type 9 tags in 45 I think it's a good move by G&F, but I think they should have publicized it on the front of the hunt booklet or made it effective in 2019.

16-Feb-18
All I can say is; Buyer beware on 45. It is no longer as advertised. I helped a friend who had that tag in 16 and it was a flat out joke. Outfitter was all over the place, and had special privileges from the FS to access through locked gates on to closed roads. And the bull quality wasn't nearly worth 8 or 9 years of applying. We got it done, but we were glad to get the hell out of there. FYI

16-Feb-18
I spoke to game and fish this morning to inquiry. Basically your only option would be to file to the license board if successful stating your case, highly unlikely I'm betting that would change. I did ask about the type 4 tags with archery permit, the lady I spoke to was not sure. She mentioned it was on the web site that it was a pending change however I know I didn't see it.

16-Feb-18
Wow, that is a major change for those units!

I typically do not get the regulations before applying and I am sure many others don't either since Wyoming is so early.

Any other units that they did that with?

16-Feb-18
Do you have a link, Bob?

16-Feb-18

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Maybe reducing the hunting pressure from the type 1 holders would make the hunt worth 8 or 9 points.

16-Feb-18
For a link, Go to the regs page, there will be some chatter about the new regs coming out in April and a link will be provided. They will post the temp regs at that link showing last years info for the most part until about the 3rd week of March. Then they'll update with the new quotas and/or restrictions.

16-Feb-18
There should have been some sort of notice in the hunt planner of this proposed change. I don't think the "No Special Archery Season" was listed on those units prior to the drawing. They should move the change to next season.

16-Feb-18
I’m one of the lucky ones in this boat as well. In with 10 points and went with a Type 1 because I likely wouldn’t get started until the 15th of Sept anyway. Wanted the chance to go back if it came to it... There was never a notice on the Hunt Planner page prior to the deadline. The link on the Regs page goes to the 2017 final version and the 2018 proposals are found in the link for the commission meeting info. It’s dated January 22nd. So I guess we had 9 days to figure it out without any heads ups on the Hunt Planner or application system... Talked to a nice lady at the Cody office and I can submit a review, assuming I draw, with the disclaimer I’d like to keep my tag if the change doesn’t occur. Doesn’t sound promising though.

16-Feb-18

sdkhunter's embedded Photo
sdkhunter's embedded Photo
Or are they just clarifying it? I pulled this screen shot from a regs book in my 'downloads' folder that looks like it's dated April 2017.. I know they made the changes to some of the other Big Horn units (can only hunt archery with type 9 tag several years ago) - they didn't add 40/41 at the same time?

16-Feb-18

midwest's Link
Here's a link to the comment submission for the proposed elk changes. I hope a bunch of guys can maybe make a quick comment and help out the guys getting hosed.

This is what I commented:

I feel the changes to the type 1 tags for units 41/41 were not communicated clearly or in a timely manner for those wishing to apply during this application period.

16-Feb-18
Good. They should do it in 37, 56, 59, and 67, and 68 too.

16-Feb-18
I’m confused.

Does that say they are going to make 41/45 Type 9 ONLY areas? With no September Type 1 interference at all?

If that is the case sign me up and like Idly said, EXPAND that!

16-Feb-18
They're just making the type 9 tag the only tag you can hunt during the archery season like it is in 38. There's still a rifle season, but you can't get an archery license and hunt part of the archery season with a type 1 or general tag.

16-Feb-18
That’s perfect. Sign me up!

16-Feb-18
Yeah, great, except for the guys who applied for a type 1 this year thinking they would be able to bowhunt the last two weeks of September.

16-Feb-18
If the Type 9 quotas remain the same, that’s great. Seems like a good way to sell an extra 50 or 75 archery tags though. Looks like there’s no change in this year’s proposal at least.... But, like Midwest said, those weren’t the plans until 3/4 of the way through the application period, from what I can tell.

16-Feb-18
Kaleb, that'll teach you to listen to me...........

16-Feb-18
Lol, I knew I’d have to eat some crow from you and Jason. Must be a sign. Who wants to chase rutting bulls anyway?!

17-Feb-18
I wish more units here in WY would go to a type 9 for archery with the the regular tag holders not able to hunt archery.

17-Feb-18
From: WYelkhunter 17-Feb-18 I wish more units here in WY would go to a type 9 for archery with the the regular tag holders not able to hunt archery.

***I don't think you'll see this happen very often because in the last G&F survey that was done 75% of the resident and NR respondents were adamant that the state essentially stay the way it is without very many units being "choose your weapon". Most like the fact that you can hunt an early season with archery equipment by buying the archery permit and then fall back with a rifle in the later season if they don't fill their tag with their bow. IMHO it appears to be a good decision by the G&F on these two particular units though because the quality of the hunt has been going down, especially in unit 45, with too many Type 1 hunters coming in the last two weeks of September because they couldn't do that if they applied in several of the other BH units. I'm actually surprised they didn't make all the BH units that are mostly public land like that when they did that a number of years ago with several units. IMHO the quality of the hunt will be greatly improved for the last half of September by passing this restriction and greatly decreasing the people in the field those two weeks.

17-Feb-18
I agree.

What is more, if every unit went to a type 9 tag for archery, including an archery general tag, our odds of drawing archery tags would be so much better. The fact that we have to compete with the hordes of rifle hunters for tags really hurts our odds from the top down. It's true that it's not what most want, but it'd help out bowhunters who hunt exclusively with a bow tremendously.

Part of the resistance is there's a lot of gun hunters who also bowhunt and many rifle hunters who pick up a crossbow for the archery season. If crossbows weren't legal during archery season, you'd see less resistance to having a one-and-done system like most other state have.

17-Feb-18
I think Wyo makes up for it in the number of tags they allocate to NR. I love Wyoming!

18-Feb-18
Maybe they should add a Type 10! Divy off some Type 9’s for inclusion in the September season, but then allow you to compete with the rifle guys late season with archery gear only. That would keep the crossover guys out of archery season... I hunt exclusively with a bow Ike, but that doesn’t mean I want to hunt exclusively in September if there are other opportunities. Was looking forward to the late season challenge if September didn’t work out. Thus the try for a Type 1.

• Sitka Gear