DonVathome 16-Feb-18
Tilzbow 17-Feb-18
Tilzbow 17-Feb-18
BULELK1 17-Feb-18
NvaGvUp 17-Feb-18
Tonybear61 17-Feb-18
Heat 17-Feb-18
16-Feb-18
What do sheep do when there drinker us frozen for days? I was hunting desert bighorns in NV and drinkers were the only water around for miles.

16-Feb-18
Desert sheep?? How about Dalls up on the Brooks Range all winter!! No light.... no warmth .... and no water for months. Dang , that’s a rough existence.

16-Feb-18
I thought this was going to be a thread about ice fishing.

16-Feb-18
Now that's funny!! Ps. I was ice fishing last night

16-Feb-18
I thought I saw frozen drinks and just stopped in for a sheep margarita recipe.

16-Feb-18
Ya I'm with BagginBigguns definitely thought this was an ice fishing thread.

16-Feb-18
There is no snow. Many places out west only have sheep and elk because of manmade water sources. The sheep water daily.

16-Feb-18
Desert sheep don't need much water in the winter and don't need to drink at all if there's green grass. It's common to have green grass even with a minimal amount of precipitation.

16-Feb-18
"What do sheep do when there drinker us frozen for days? I was hunting desert bighorns in NV and drinkers were the only water around for miles."

Don, you are a smart man, right? What do you think they do?

I overheard a guy ask a coues guide a question once. He asked him "what do coues do when it rains".... He said "They get wet!"....

16-Feb-18
I have been thinking about it! My only guess was eating stuff with water. On my hunt the sheep stayed close to a drinker we were pretty sure was frozen to much get into. The hung around it for days.

17-Feb-18

Tilzbow's embedded Photo
It helps them grow big horns!
Tilzbow's embedded Photo
It helps them grow big horns!
They’ll also eat the crap out of barrel cactus.

17-Feb-18

Tilzbow's embedded Photo
Tilzbow's embedded Photo
Tilzbow's embedded Photo
Tilzbow's embedded Photo
Tilzbow's embedded Photo
Even Boone and Crockett rams love cactus!
Tilzbow's embedded Photo
Even Boone and Crockett rams love cactus!

17-Feb-18
D-Sheep like many of the Desert species survive with very little actual 'Guzzler water' as they eat plants and grasses that retain moisture.

Or is this an Ice fishing thread after all??

17-Feb-18
Sheep aren't likely to use drinkers in the winter. Even in the desert there is generally enough 'natural' water for them at that time of year.

17-Feb-18
Yeah but somebody needs to take that first bite, unless the birds get it started for them....

17-Feb-18
A lot of the sheep along the Colorado spend the summer right next to the river. At some point in the fall when it cools off they walk off and move to winter range that could be many miles from free water. Don't think they need it much if any during cooler months.

• Sitka Gear