altitude sick 20-Jan-19
altitude sick 20-Jan-19
FullTime 20-Jan-19
cnelk 20-Jan-19
newfi1946moose 22-Jan-19
Mule Power 22-Jan-19
16-Feb-18
Hey everyone,

I have always dreamed of a moose hunt. Im 29 and I have always kept a 5 year map of my hunts to make sure that I don't push anything off and regret not chasing these wild places while Im young. In 2020 I plan to hunt moose and Im trying to get ahead of the game so that I can afford it when that time comes. Does anyone have any suggestions on great outfitters to bow hunt moose with? A good representation of the species will make me happy as I am just as much after the meat as the trophy. Unfortunately most of the alaskan moose hunts that Ive looked into don't fit my budget so if you all could possibly steer me to a good starting point I would be thankful!

16-Feb-18
I'd be happy to help. I went with Papa Bear out of Bethel Alaska and can't say enough good things about Steve's operation. Would help to have a good hunting partner and DIY is soooo much fun.

I'm also heading up this fall with Northern Alberta Outfitters (bowsite sponsor) and can help there. Just book one and plan ahead. Chip away at the expense and you'll be good.

16-Feb-18
If Alaska doesn’t fit your budget what is your budget? That’s a major criteria to have guys give you helpful suggestions

17-Feb-18
Thanks for the info standswittaknife. What was the format of the hunt with Papa Bear? Drop camp? Float?

APauls- I haven't set a budget yet since Im not entirely sure of the cost of a decent hunt. Im not opposed to spending a little bit more to get a lot more hunt but my "I can't afford Alaska" statement was geared towards staying away from the $20k hunts.

17-Feb-18
There is a direct correlation between antler size potential and price. A decent guided Newfoundland hunt can run in the $5k range, Alberta/Sask slightly more 5-8k, southern BC 6-8k, Nothern BC 12-18k, AK/Yukon 20k+.

Do you want guided or diy? Figure out the type of hunt you want and your budget first.

17-Feb-18

gunslinger's embedded Photo
gunslinger's embedded Photo

gunslinger's Link
I also own a extreme remote fly in area here in northern alberta, I either fly you in to remote lakes with a caravan airplane or as of this year 2018 I am building a brand new helicopter camp, or boat then quad camp we will see how it goes, were killing some great bulls in the later rut hunts up there as no one has hunted the area for 10+ years, it isn't easy opening these areas back up but in the past 3 years we have done a great job building this area and its paying off. all fly in zodiac boats with outfitter tents. prices right now are 10500$ and that includes your tags flight the whole deal, But if the demand for the moose keeps increasing so will the prices, fuel and planes are expensive but its one hell of a adventure, fishing is unreal and wolfes are free if ya see one.

17-Feb-18
Price is also based on some other factors. I did quite a bit of research on this before I booked my hunt in Northern British Columbia. Generally speaking, a boat hunt will be a little less than a horseback hunt, but the quality of the game is about the same from what I understand. Also, with a boat hunt you will more than likely be staying in a cabin with a generator, good food, good sleeping quarters, etc... on a horseback hunt you could stay in a cabin, or you could be in a pup tent eating freeze dried food. It's all good...just a different adventure. Horses add a whole different dimension to a hunt if you're not comfortable sitting on a horse for several hours a day.

Be sure when you talk to outfitters that you get the total cost of the hunt. some will quote a price that looks pretty good but when you continue to read you'll see that the price of the tags is not included, the float plane charges are not included, etc.. So, be sure to ask about all of the costs..not just the base price of the hunt. I prefer to deal with outfitters who quotes a price that includes all of the above...not just the base price. That's unrealistic and in my way of thinking is a bit deceptive.

Regarding outfitter reviews, look at current reviews. The outfit I hunted with has been sold. I've stayed in contact with the guide I had and he and several of the other guides have quit since the new owner took over. So, a glowing review written a few years back might not be applicable if the outfit has been sold. It could still be, of course, but it's something to be aware of.

Northern B.C. is the absolute best place to go if you're looking for the largest Canadian Moose available. Of course, The Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Alaska have the larger Alaska/Yukon subspecies, but they're not a whole lot larger if you hunt along the Yukon Border in norther B.C...similar genetics, but the B.C. moose are classified as Canadian Moose. Newfoundland has a lot of moose, but quite frankly they are not very big compared to Western Canada. If just any moose meets your standard, go for Newfoundland. Don't go there if you want a big one.

Manitoba produces some nice bulls. Success rate isn't quite as high as some other places, but you could do a combo Moose/Caribou hunt for about the same price as a moose hunt in B.C. and you can shoot two caribou.

Lot of things to consider (like are you driving to wherever you hunt so you can bring the meat home), or is that not an issue? Flying and paying to have antlers and/or meat flown back is very expensive.

17-Feb-18
I'm heading up this fall on a float hunt with Papa Bear. Remind me through PM after September and I would be glad to share what I've experienced, John

17-Feb-18

ChasingFAHL's embedded Photo
Thanks for the responses everyone! A larger moose would be nice but Im realistically looking for ANY bull as this point. I love moose meat and after having a run in with a big moose in Colorado I can't wait to be in pursuit of one with my bow. Is the moose that I seen there a giant? Or a good one? Or how big?

17-Feb-18

Thanks for the responses everyone! A larger moose would be nice but Im realistically looking for ANY bull as this point. I love moose meat and after having a run in with a big moose in Colorado I can't wait to be in pursuit of one with my bow. Is the moose that I seen there a giant? Or a good one? Or how big?

17-Feb-18
That’s a whopper Shiras moose!

17-Feb-18
That looks like a jumbo!

17-Feb-18
Shoot my friend shoot

18-Feb-18
Have to say.... good on ya for not shooting without that tag........ =D

Pretty sure that's a stud moose wherever you go.....

18-Feb-18

I thought that he was pretty large but it was my first time being really close to a bull so I didn't know for sure. The crazy thing was that this bull was at 11,300ft.

is this a 50" moose? Bigger? Smaller? Heres another picture of him.

18-Feb-18
An arrow would be in the air on that bull. Definite shooter bull right there!

18-Feb-18

cnelk's Link
See link for the Alaska F&G 'Is this moose legal?' video

https://vimeo.com/38069348

18-Feb-18
I don’t know if he is 50 but he close either way. He is a shooter in any Shiras unit anywear.

18-Feb-18
Thanks for that link. I needed something like that.

Now back to planning.... Under $8k does anyone have any recommendations?

18-Feb-18
Checkout sportman’s air out of anchorage. They do a DIY out of Galena. Good success rates. Good moose population. Good moose size. But you will probably be into it for over $8k all in especially if you are taking meat home.

They do book up years in advance so you might want to get on it.

19-Feb-18
Check out mikes outfitting in northern Alberta. Mike offers a fair priced bow hunt for moose the 1st 2 weeks of season with great success on a bull. Though you pry won't be shooting a big bull. Chance is always there. More of a meat hunt.

19-Feb-18
Ya, $8,000 is pretty low when you figure up all of the costs. My hunt in Northern B.C. in 2014 was $12,500 (boat hunt) but that didn't include my travel expenses to get there and back (I drove up), but it was the total cost to the outfitter (it included the actual hunt, float plane travel into the hunting area, tags, etc.) for a 10 day hunt. I shot my bull on day 8 of the hunt. During those 8 days I saw 40 moose and 16 of them were bulls, and I lost most of two of those days helping get two bulls two other hunters had killed quartered and back to camp and hung up.

Keep in mind that there's more to a moose hunt than killing a moose and bringing meat home. That's obviously the goal, but for me being remote and in the mountains was important. I wanted a truly wild experience in a beautiful area. I didn't want to compete with people on ATV's, and all of that.

If I only had $8,000 to spend I'd either wait until I saved up a little more or I'd borrow the difference. You won't regret it.

And that is one heck of a Shiras moose you photographed!!!

20-Feb-18
If you'd be happy with "any bull" then look into Ontario. No waiting, you wanna hunt this fall you can! Howey Bay, Kashabowie, Mattice Lake, Budds, Big North, Thousand Lakes...and the cheapest of all, Lukinto Lake Lodge, can all put you on moose cheaper than just about anywhere. And don't be fooled, Ontario has some really nice bulls and some really good habitat to hunt them in.

21-Feb-18
"Now back to planning.... Under $8k does anyone have any recommendations? "

I see that Jonah Stewart is offering fully outfitted hunts in Alaska starting this year, I have a feeling these hunts will go quick and be very good! Around 6K from what he had said. Might be worth a look for those wanting to hunt low pressured camps/areas in Alaska, DIY.

21-Feb-18
Thanks for the info! Im not decided by any means but Im looking into Conne River and Effords Hunting Adventures. Has anyone been on either of these hunts?

NicK Muche--- Do you know where you seen that information? I can't seem to find anything about it.

21-Feb-18
It's on his website at http://www.jonahsalaskanoutfitters.com/

22-Feb-18
Thanks! I have contacted him. Does anyone have any suggestions so that I can get quotes on getting meat back from Alaska to Missouri?

22-Feb-18
Alaska meat express. Charlie’s good to work with. I think he’s still at it.

23-Feb-18
Thank you. It looks like he's down for 2018 but maybe he will be back at it in a couple years!

24-Feb-18
We used Larry Bartlett and did a float trip. I didn't add everything up but it was in between $8/9000. I froze my meat and brought it home on the plane with me. $75 for each 100lb tote on Alaska air. Meat was still frozen solid when we got back to PA.

07-Mar-18
I have went to Ontario and hunted moose 6 times. I watched 3 bulls die. I watched 2 more get away when they should have died. Thats a 50% success rate. Total costs for 6 hunts for me personally is 18K. I know people who have spent more than that on one hunt in Alaska....Food for thought. Go to Ontario. And please dont shoot a cow or Calf. The Population is hurting up there

11-Mar-18

Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
I rent a cabin at Lisa Lake for $2,500 total for two from Sept 15th - Sept 26th during the moose season. You need to bring your Bowhunting gear, clothing and some food. That's it. You also need to cover the cost of getting two of you to Lisa Lake, which generally runs less than $800 round trip in a Cessna 206. Wold be more than that getting a moose out but it gives you an idea. The above photo was taken from the deck of the cabin during moose season.

20-Jan-19

Cowalkabout's embedded Photo

Cowalkabout's Link
Guys I had an incredible hunt this past September in Newfoundland with Conne River Outfitting. While I was primarily on a mission for woodland caribou I was able to harvest a caribou, moose and black bear to complete my Newfoundland Slam in only 4 days of hunting. My woodland caribou just got scored and certified and it will be entered into the B&C books at #33 all time at 340 6/8”. A true world class animal. I am beyond excited and grateful and if you have ever considered a hunt in Newfoundland I would strongly encourage you to go for it. Happy Hunting

20-Jan-19

altitude sick's embedded Photo
X2 on Papa Bear out of Bethel. I hunted with his competitor last year. Both hunt the same general area. Between the Kusikwim and Yukon rivers. Very small lakes. Papa bear is around $7000 and is booked 2-3 years out very good equipment and planes. Book now and get the last 10 days. That unit Hunt runs till oct 1st which is a huge difference from most units ending. Sept 25th. The bulls really get going each day closer to Oct. there are a lot of moose and big bulls. We shot two medium size bulls. And of course after ours were killed we had a bigger bull 15 yards from the tent from random calling. He was so rutted up he wouldn’t leave. My personal opinion is to stay away from float hunts and ask to be dropped on a ridge or small lake. I have done the float thing and did not enjoy locals motoring by in boats, it ruins the experience. It’s about a $400 flight from anchorage to Bethel. Most hunts directly out of anchorage are not remote enough and there is a lot of pressure traffic. Which takes away from the experience. Take at least 2 flights from anchorage to your camp.

20-Jan-19

My buddy’s bull
My buddy’s bull

20-Jan-19
Note we are sitting next to the head. Holding the antlers, not on the rumps as most moose pics are taken.

20-Jan-19
there are lots of outfits that do diy hunts in Alaska. some of the guys on this thread seem to be good sources of info. some of the Alaska outfits are awesome some are a not so much. the nice thing is that you can go into certain areas to be sure you aren't going to have too much hunting pressure if you are willing to travel to personally pick up your tags ahead of time. other areas you can just get your tags over the counter. check out some of the outfitters on the gold creek, moose river or jim river on the internet would be a good place to start. good luck.

20-Jan-19
Many dont realize that there is plenty of good Alaska moose hunting in the draw units, with good odds to draw

22-Jan-19
Chasing....been to NL seven times as cost was affordable. My group was with Conne River in 2017 during the rut and everything was top shelf. Has remote fly-in camps also.

22-Jan-19
If you’re willing to pound the pavement making calls look for a charter pilot that bills by the hour. You’ll need to pick your area and tell him where you want to go but it’s way cheaper than flat rate moose hunts. The last time I hunted with Sportsman AircJoe Shuster was 10k for a drop camp but $600/hr in his Beaver. Less in a smaller plane. I hope you are working on a solid partner as well.

• Sitka Gear