Franzen 18-Feb-18
brooktrout59 18-Feb-18
Franzen 18-Feb-18
jims 18-Feb-18
shedhorn 18-Feb-18
Pigsticker 18-Feb-18
Franzen 19-Feb-18
17-Feb-18
I've been looking around for an older Lonesome Hen call by K&H, and haven't had much luck yet. It is a plunger-style call with a spring in it (which I use without). The one I have is "well used". It is one of my favorite calls for bowhunting birds on the run. This is in part because I'm not much of a mouth caller. I used to dabble in reeds, but only ever became marginally proficient at it.

Who else has an all-time favorite? If anyone has one of these calls that they would like to get rid of, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. Or if anyone has a heads up on where to find one, I'd appreciate it. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks.

17-Feb-18
Use same call works great- have not seen one for sale in years. Bought mine at Kittery Trading post in Maine15 years ago.

17-Feb-18
EBAY.

18-Feb-18
I use nothing other than diaphrams. I gagged a bunch of times when I first started using them but really like them now that I'm used to them. It's super nice having both hands free and not dealing with handling calls. I have a call in my mouth all the time while hiking so I'm ready to go. Turkeys also don't see movement since the call is in my mouth. Mouth calls also cost around $7 to $15 max.

18-Feb-18
I agree that mouth calls provide the most benefit, if you can get the sound you want to come from them. For me it took a lot of practice to get just marginal with them, so with enough to keep me busy, I decided to just stick to friction calls that didn't require much practice.

For whatever reason,mouth calls weren't like "riding a bike" to me. I'd put them away at the end of the season, and it wasn't like I could just pick one up the next year and sound good or even decent with it.

18-Feb-18
Just curious brooktrout, do you use the call with the spring that came in it?

18-Feb-18

brooktrout59's embedded Photo
Called in with Lonesome Hen.
brooktrout59's embedded Photo
Called in with Lonesome Hen.
Fran zen- yes - have not altered it at all. Called in these two with it last spring in Maine hunting with my "Bird Dog" Charlie Rehor!!

18-Feb-18
Hunting with Charlie Rehor? I think that is what they call "cheatin". ;^)

Congrats on a fine haul there!

18-Feb-18
There are some great youtube videos available that helped me with mouth calls. If it weren't for them I never would have figured it out! Also, it is next to impossible to make the right sounds with poor mouth calls! I use a couple different mouth calls for different situations. It comes back super fast once you get it figured out. Once I hear what the turkeys are using for calls it's pretty easy to imitate them and also use calls to get them excited! It's nice being able to put a call in your mouth and another in your pocket and be set!

18-Feb-18
I used to use the same call you described I think until it broke. I have had a little bit of success with primos bombshell call which is pretty similar.

18-Feb-18
Personally, I think pot calls are the easiest to use. Many different good ones out there. Wodhaven, Billy White, redhead, and a bunch of others.

As for diaphragms the Tom Teasers May Be the easiest for a beginner.

19-Feb-18
I really enjoy pot calls too, but they seem to require a little more movement and always require two hands. Maybe someone has some sort of stand or holder to use, but that's not for me. My all-time favorite was one called the Black Widow. I can't remember who the manufacturer was, but it was a roughened glass style. I've never been a connoisseur so-to-speak of expensive calls though.

Thanks for the tips.

• Sitka Gear