Debya 27-May-19
Debya 27-May-19
Flincher 27-May-19
Lone Bugle 31-May-19
Scar Finga 31-May-19
Scar Finga 31-May-19
Keith in colorado 01-Aug-19
19-Feb-18
Flying to SA in may and my agent found a smoking deal on airfare, anyone have any issues flying thru Amsterdam? Just a quick 2 hour layover

19-Feb-18
If memory serves me correct, I think your "smoking deal on airfare" may lead to some issues, if you are packing BH's in Amsterdam.

Awaiting to hear other's response on the topic of Amsterdam and broadheads.

19-Feb-18
I’ve heard the same thing as buffalo1. Don’t know that firsthand, though. Supposedly, they get confiscated.

19-Feb-18
Every time I landed in Amsterdam I don't remember. We never flew through Amsterdam without at least a twenty-four layover. Of course we were young marines back in those days. Dang thanks for the flashback. Sorry I'm of no help.

19-Feb-18
I thought I heard that if you stay overnight in Amsterdam they take your broadheads, but it is just a plane change, do they have time to go thru everyone's bags?

19-Feb-18
I doubt it. I haven’t flown through Amsterdam, but lots of times back and forth and around South America with no issues with broad heads or bows.

19-Feb-18
I know that a few years ago they were actively searching every bow case at Schiphol for broadheads and confiscating them as "contraband". Dunno if that still the policy.

When I went to Australia to hunt, airport customs confiscated both my Selway bow quivers because they considered them "rawhide" and prohibited. Fortunately my buddy there knew a trad hunter who sold me a brand new Selway quiver so my two week hunt wasnt wrecked.

20-Feb-18
Broadheads are illegal in Amsterdam? But hookers and hash are O.K.?

20-Feb-18
Broadheads are illegal in Amsterdam? But hookers and hash are O.K.?

20-Feb-18
To me the potential hassle just isn't worth the potential savings.

Also traveled extensively and can definitely proclaim that even though we expect that the folks enforcing the rules completely understand them. Not always the case - And if you're unfortunate enough to get "that guy or gal" in a "weapon-unfriendly" place like Amsterdam, it could disrupt the trip.

Spending just a few more $ to take the safest routing just gives me greater peace of mind. These trips aren't cheap and it's always better to arrive unmolested, with all of my gear.

20-Feb-18
If it's really all that good of a price, mail your broadheads to your outfitter before the trip.

TMBB

20-Feb-18
I doubt you will have nay problems as you are considered in transit. Coming from the USA, they will not make you recheck your luggage. You should be fine.

However, a two hour layover in AMS should be enough. BUT, If you have any issues, you will not make your flight.

They do security again before the gate. They want you in the boarding area one hour before your flight. It is too close for comfort.

I will be in Amsterdam Monday and see if I can find an official to get an answer on broadheads. The Dutch are very consistent in following the rules.

It is the most invasive security check I have ever been through besides Israel. They literally pull you waste and of your pants away and feel around your whole mid-section with the back of their hands.

20-Feb-18
Had a layover there on way to Italy...dirtiest city I have ever been in.

20-Feb-18
Wow, that is crazy! Sounds like Eric should have the best info soon!

20-Feb-18
Thanks Eric! And Yes, the small savings will be well worth it even if I have to ship broadheads. I Booked thru KLM (delta) Denver to Johannesburg round trip for $800 a seat! And still get there under 24 hours. Actually added flying to Victoria falls for a few days after our hunt for another $340, Grand total airfare $ 1140 per person! Was told by my travel agent flying on a wed shaved hundreds!

20-Feb-18
"It is the most invasive security check I have ever been through besides Israel."

This X2.

I have only had a single layover in Amsterdam but it was very rigorous with respect to security. I assumed it was because I was traveling to Israel (which has the most stringent security going), but perhaps that is just how they do things at that airport.

I wasn't carrying any archery equipment so I can't speak to that.

20-Feb-18
KLM is a great airline. Flying "the unfriendly skies" of United is like riding in a livestock train car compared to KLM. You should probably ship your sharps to the outfitter ahead of time just to be sure they arrive.

21-Feb-18
This might be helpful. I always take two bows to Africa. One goes in a Tuffpak case with arrows broadheads and everything I need to hunt. I also take a Badlands Terra Glide case and duplicate everything. If one case gets there I am still hunting. I can get everything I need in those two cases and a carry on. I have never been charged for oversized bags. Neither case has been taken to the police department in Jo'berg. Avoids all of the lines and hassles. Your gear comes right off the main belt.

Good luck to all.

21-Feb-18
I will talk to the security folks this weekend. I checked things out on KLM’s web site and it doesn’t appear to be an issue. Their policy simply says that arrows are not allowed in your carry on.

Here is a copy of their policy.

Pointed/edged weapons & objects You may not carry pointed or edged objects in your hand baggage that could cause injury. These include: Arrows and darts Axes and hatchets Climbing irons Ice axes and ice picks Ice skates Jack-knives or flick knives with blades of any length Knives, including ceremonial knives, made of metal or other material strong enough to be used as a weapon Machetes Meat cleavers Open razors (excluding safety or disposable razors with blades enclosed in cartridges) Sabres, swords and sword sticks Scalpels Scissors Needles for hobby purposes and crochet hooks, made of metal or other material strong enough to be used as a weapon Ski and walking/hiking poles Throwing stars Tools that could be used as a pointed or edged weapon, e.g. drills and drill bits, Stanley knives, utility knives, all saws, screwdrivers, crowbars, hammers, pliers, wrenches and spanners, soldering equipment

21-Feb-18
Thanks Eric, I talked to my outfitter as well and he said I can but Broad heads there if we need too. Another thing I noticed on both KLM and Delta that bow cases have to be under 63 inches or you pay a $100 fee., I travel all over with an SKB double and have never had an issue. Thoughts?

21-Feb-18
Same SKB double has been used on the last three Delta flights over and I've had no problems ever with oversize charges. Last trip was in June 2017. I think it depends on the airport you first check your baggage in at. They are either cool about it or not. Tucson agents have always been cool for us. It is not an issue in JNB.

21-Feb-18
I have never had a problem with Delta and bow cases. It should not be a problem.

21-Feb-18
Re: Bow cases. It has been my experience that Delta Airlines and Air Namibia focus on weight and not dimensions. Just keep case under 50# and you should be fine.

Also found to above statement to hold true for luggage.

Never had my backpack carry on weighed. Think it can't exceed 30#, but I've been over most every time.

21-Feb-18
I brought a knife set, two ice axes and crampons through there with no issue. This was in 04' though.

27-Feb-18
I am in the KLM lounge in Amsterdam. I spoke to two security officers and they said that bows and arrows are not a problem in checked luggage. They seems to disagree on the requirements of the bow case. One said a locked hard case is required and the other did not think a Terra Glide would be a problem if the zippers were locked. I would suggest putting your “sharps” in a hard case to avoid any possible problems. Neither thought you would have a problem if you were simply in transit. However, if your flight originated in Amsterdam the hard case would be the safer option.

I hope that helps. The problem with airline is it often comes down to the person you are dealing with. I would print out a copy of their rules from their web sit and be prepared to be helpful.

Be polite and smile.

Have fun.

27-May-19
As a rule, such issues can be resolved by calling the hotline of the airline you are flying on. Not so long ago I was also in Amsterdam and from there I planned to fly to Las Vegas, and thanks to https://best-vegas.com/cirque-du-soleil/ I will remember my trip for a long time. I travel quite often and try in every city to visit some event and cirque du soleil the best I've ever visited.

27-May-19
As a rule, such issues can be resolved by calling the hotline of the airline you are flying on. Not so long ago I was also in Amsterdam and from there I planned to fly to Las Vegas, and thanks to https://best-vegas.com/cirque-du-soleil/ I will remember my trip for a long time. I travel quite often and try in every city to visit some event and cirque du soleil the best I've ever visited.

27-May-19
I flew to Namibia in April of this year with an extra long SKB double bow/gun case because I actually took both a rifle and bow on the trip. I flew American, Delta, United, South Africa Airways coming and going and the only thing they were concerned about was the weight. Make sure you use heavy duty padlocks not TSA locks on the case. More importantly stay under the 50 pound total weight limit. The length or size of the case was not an issue. One thing I did do that may have helped is that I put a few archery related decals on the case. Also try to book the case to your final destination each way to avoid going thru security with the case multiple times.

31-May-19
You can always FEDEX anything you're unsure about.

31-May-19
Great suggestions above, I would also suggest no camo of any type on your person, that includes your carry on. It may draw unwanted attention in one way or another. I have music stickers, guitar and music bands all over my hard case for flying, no one has ever given it a second look, and if not asked, I don't offer information. I will say that I have not flown outside the US with my bow yet, so that may be different. Ship the broadheads and follow the weight restrictions to the letter (Or number as it may be).

31-May-19
Great suggestions above, I would also suggest no camo of any type on your person, that includes your carry on. It may draw unwanted attention in one way or another. I have music stickers, guitar and music bands all over my hard case for flying, no one has ever given it a second look, and if not asked, I don't offer information. I will say that I have not flown outside the US with my bow yet, so that may be different. Ship the broadheads and follow the weight restrictions to the letter (Or number as it may be).

01-Aug-19
Just an FYI to everyone, we had ZERO issues in Amsterdam! On the way home our flight out of Amsterdam got cancelled and before we even got to the help desk they had us on another flight! thought for sure our bows would not make it home but no issues!

• Sitka Gear