TrapperKayak 21-Feb-18
Arrowhead 21-Feb-18
Bob 21-Feb-18
Bob 21-Feb-18
Arrowhead 22-Feb-18
20-Feb-18

Arrowhead's embedded Photo
Arrowhead's embedded Photo
I stopped shooting rifles in 1989 when I got out of the Air Force. I took up the Bow seriously and never looked back. But this season our hunting location has been covered up with hogs and my son shot one with his 243 that I gave him. He then handed the rifle to me and I shot one as well. I forgot what it felt like to pull the trigger and it was fun. So my wife bought me a pellet gun. I sighted it in and I have been having a blast shooting it and keeping my skills sharp. I shoot at turtles in the lake and I aim at there heads only. It is zero at 50 yards. Turtles are very numerous and it should give me a way to stay sharp and have fun at the same time. Next, will be the carpenter bees with the bow. The neighbors think I'm a bit weird. "Stay Sharp My Friends"

20-Feb-18
Pistol grip, it’s black, if that thing had a flashlight it would need to be outlawed. ;)

20-Feb-18
LOL, but unfortunately you are so true as to how some feel today. Very Sad. I can remember taking my 22 cal. to school and my teacher keeping it in the coat closet until after school so I could go straight to the woods to hunt squirrel. I was in the 6th. grade at that time. In high school many of us had gun racks in the truck window. I don't ever recall a school shooting, although someone did get cut with a knife.

20-Feb-18
We used to put our shotguns in my buddy’s gun rack that was in the back window of his truck and take them to school so as soon as school was out we could go deer hunting. Every year on the first day of deer season half the kids were absent and out hunting deer......just the way it was.

20-Feb-18
I frequently say on this site that I rifle hunt every now and then and ENJOY it. It is fun. Glad you enjoy it.

Do you eat the turtles? I have to say I can't get behind killing the turtles just because they are a target.

20-Feb-18
Do you eat coyotes Apauls? Me personally I kill coyotes, prairie dogs, armadillos and all other sorts of vermin that I never eat. Turtles can over populate a pond a be a nuisance.

20-Feb-18
Turtles can decimate a pond! Growing up we used to kill turtles in my friends ponds all the time. His dad preferred that there were no turtles. they stocked the pond with fish and the turtles would attack and eat the fish and I believe the vegetation as well.

20-Feb-18
I was in my high school's RIFLE Club. On days when we were to shoot after school, we'd bring our rifles to school and store them in the principal's office. And this was in suburban New Jersey!

Yeah......I know, I'm O L D!!!

20-Feb-18
Ya but Turtles are way cuter LINK ;) No seriously I didn't know they could be a problem or that killing them is even legal. Learn something new every day, half the time from bowsite lol. Where I'm from it's illegal, but obviously not everywhere. I though the OP said he was on a lake and I never heard of turtles being overpopulated on lakes before.

20-Feb-18
When I was a kid I had a friend who lived on a farm. They had a farm pond that was had snapping turtles in it an NOTHING else lived in or ON that pond. So we went on a turtle jihad.........

At first we shot at them with .22s when they'd surface, but then they got smart and stayed down. So we came up with the idea of taping lit M-80s to rocks of various sizes to act as depth charges. We finally figured out the size rock we needed to get them off the bottom and then the shooting started!

20-Feb-18
I've been shooting more recently as well. Have been having fun shooting a .22 mag, my AR, and my shotgun. Shot 100 rounds of 12 gauge skeet shooting at a friends place yesterday. I haven't done that in 10 or 11 years. Had a BLAST!

As I do almost every year, I've promised myself to duck hunt this year. More than just a casual once or twice deal. This may be the year I follow up.

My shoulder is sore today. Kind of a good feeling :)

20-Feb-18
Turtles eat fish. I eat fish. So, if I had a pond, I'd shoot the turtles because I would rather me eat them then the turtles. I'm behind everyone that can see that reasoning.

Rifle hunting sure is a blast too. I love it too. God Bless

20-Feb-18
I got a pellet gun last summer and also have a blast with it. The scope on it sucked so I put a Leupold Variable I had laying around and it's a hoot. Got it to kill these Eurasian doves that crap all over my boat.

20-Feb-18
Started goose hunting with my son this winter and we had an absolute blast. He watched videos of calling and it was great to watch him turn birds and have them approach our spread ready to land.

20-Feb-18
T Mac, good goose hunting was one of the most addicting things ive ever done. BUT, we scouted every night that we werent hunting. When we had our first girl, my goose hunting stopped. I could never stand the guys that seemed to always be busy every night except the night you had a good field. Didnt want to be one of those guys. But when i hear a distant honk, something inside me starts shaking....

20-Feb-18
I spent Saturday evening shooting several .22 rifles. One was the rifle my dad gave me when I was 14, that rifle must be almost 70 years old. Tough for my aging eyes to see the iron sights, but I shot a 5 shot group of about 2.5" at 40 yds. Much easier for me to use the scope on the old Mossburg a friend gave me years ago. The other was my scoped .22 mag. I once drove a nail in a board from 75 yds with that gun. It is a shooter,

Texted my brother and told him nothing smells quite like burnt gun powder. Brought back lots and lots of memories of shooting with my dad and my younger years.

20-Feb-18
So I guess it's ok to say I bought another handgun today !

20-Feb-18
Jaq.....breast out those doves and filet the meat off. Place in a dish with rice and cream of mushroom soup mix. Delicious!!!!

20-Feb-18
Yeah Lou, those Eurasian collared doves eat pretty good!

21-Feb-18
Someone already mentioned it, but too many turtles in small ponds and lakes can have a negative impact when managing it for better fishing. I had some traps out, but for some reason people want to set them free. We have 9 ponds or small lakes in our community that I manage ranging from 4 acres to 120 acres. Other pest that can cause problems are too many ducks, geese, cormorants, beavers or even fish. I get with the State Fisheries Department every three to five years for a report from a Fisheries Biologist and I also get with a privately owned company "Southeastern Pond Management" to continually access the condition of the lakes. ( I don't eat them but I have had some request in the past from people who do.)

21-Feb-18
The food ol days ,we to would leave our rifles on the gun rack,and go straight to the mountains after school. Used to be OTC mule deer back then. Most the kids were gone for a week . So sad we have to worry about our kids even just going to school now .

21-Feb-18
You have neighbors there? Sad... :)

21-Feb-18
Yes I do have neighbors. At least their good neighbors. If I were rich enough to not have neighbors I would pick another State to live in. One with much better deer hunting. You know, where the big one's roam! But, I should look on the bright side. Alabama has a different scoring system where a spike is equivalent to an average 8 point and ten point's and above are Booner's. Turkey's are on a whole different level all together. You don't even want to try and compare these elusive birds to the other's. Kind of like hunting Big Foot. lol.

21-Feb-18
And I thought this was going to be a Dos Equis commercial.

21-Feb-18
Thats what I'am talking about !

22-Feb-18
Exactly !!!!!!

• Sitka Gear