LKH 24-Feb-18
Jimmysharpstick 24-Feb-18
Trial153 25-Feb-18
Twincedar 11-Dec-18
TEmbry 12-Dec-18
Trial153 12-Dec-18
Nick Muche 12-Dec-18
21-Feb-18
Does anyone have experience with Tok Air? Interested in a caribou hunt - any thoughts are welcome! thanks!

21-Feb-18
I don't think you'll be disappointed with Zack. My preferred pilot in Alaska recommends Zack and they are great friends. I also know of several that have used him for Moose, great hunts. Sheep, same thing, great hunts. That tells me all I need to know and you can book his services with confidence.

Good luck!

21-Feb-18
Well, here's how good he is. I don't think you can book anything for 2018 with him. Maybe a float hunt, but other than that I doubt it. He has a good rep.

21-Feb-18
Awesome - thanks guys! I really appreciate it!

21-Feb-18
Tried to book, they are a ways out. the other outfit there is highly reputable as well.

21-Feb-18
He did lots of flying for 40 Mile Air which is a good thing to have on your resume.

21-Feb-18
I've flown with him (when) he flew for 40 Mile and no problems technically. I was talking to a friend of mine earlier this week that has flown out of Tok for two plus decades and everything isn't as peaches & cream in the area as this discussion might suggest. I hear the top nearly boileth over.....

21-Feb-18
Steve, are you talking about competition issues between the two?

21-Feb-18
Not to speculate but that wouldn’t surprise me since he knows their operation sonwell. But it’s not private property. I’d think it’s a respect issue at most. Which to me is a big deal.

21-Feb-18
Steve, I assume you talked with the same guy that always has something negative to say about Zack when Tok Air is brought up on a forum? V is a great guy and a wealth of knowledge but I think his stance has much to do with his loyalty to his longtime friends at 40 Mile.

I'd certainly guess this all comes down to competition issues as LKH alluded to.

21-Feb-18
I spoke with Zack and he was a stand ip guy. He was all about putting clients on spots that 40 Mile hasn’t tapped into. Why wouldn’t he avoid those spots? It costs money to fly to an area only to reroute because someone is already there. I’d fly with him in a heartbeat.

21-Feb-18
How's the $$$$ between the two services?,,, prob guess pretty competitive??? Anyone know?

21-Feb-18
Tok Air charges quite a bit more than 40. But it doesn't seem that either are hurting for business. No matter what's going on behind the scenes you can't go wrong with either and both of their reputations speak to that.

21-Feb-18
"Steve, I assume you talked with the same guy..." Ass-U-Me.

There's a bit more that seems to be going on than "competition" from what I'm hearing.

22-Feb-18
Why the vague references to “issues”? If you are accusing someone of something or know specifics then say so, otherwise what benefit do statements like that serve other than to cast doubt on a company?

I hear a lot of gossip about both companies but agree with Nicks assessment. Speak with actual clients of either service and you will be hard pressed to find a negative word about either.

22-Feb-18
Either have the stones to speak up or save us all the vague innuendos.

22-Feb-18
It can be summed up in one sentence...

Nobody likes the new guy...

22-Feb-18
Many people are unhappy with Zack. His reputation proceeds himself with those in the know.

22-Feb-18
Enlighten everyone else not in the know so they don’t waste their hard earned money on a terrible outfit.

23-Feb-18
I don't think the issue is that Zach could or couldn't make you a promise, drop you off safely where you agreed, and pull you out safely, give you a hug and send you on your way. The issues that I have heard, not from any keyboard kowboy, but from a guy that has probably never been on a forum, is that he is using spots long since established by 40 Mile Air or extremely close, dropping people directly in basins that sheep inhabit thus running the sheep out, etc. Some of these areas aren't just open to any and all commercial activity including unlimited drop offs but I'm admittedly unfamiliar with the details on some of the various lands in that area they will all vary (State of Alaska, USFWS Refuge, NLS Preserve) I'm just giving folks that want it a heads up that there may be more going on that unicorns and fairy dust.

23-Feb-18
I'd be interested to know if this is similar to what you are hearing Aces.

23-Feb-18
Steve, I can see where that might cause hard feelings. The counter to that is that it's all public land and while 40 Mile might have been first, it has no ownership claim.

The area is huge and there is a lot of room, just not many landing areas. It can handle the numbers.

I haven't and won't speak to either party about this so won't put my 2 cents in about who is right/wrong. Even if I did, there is a good chance I wouldn't be able to tell anything.

This sounds like the attitude many hunters have about an area they have hunted over the years and suddenly another party or two moves in. They have no legitimate claim on public land, yet feel wronged.

23-Feb-18
I have been trying to get in with 40mile for 2 years now and they are always booked. I run a fishing charter in Hawaii and took Zak and his family fishing. Seemed like a good guy. Im booked with him for late august this year and would be happy to let anyone know about my trip once hunting season is over. First time to AK and I'm getting excited!

24-Feb-18
Sent you a pm 808.

24-Feb-18
I have been debating using tok for moose. Anyone with intel please pm me.

24-Feb-18
Larry, I don't think commercial operators can just drop someone off when ever they want, where ever they want. Land management agencies have a permit systems for commercial activities. There could be at least the three agencies I listed above plus BLM in the mix (maybe) in that area. I'm just a messenger letting people know what I heard from a solid source that there seems to be a storm brewing.

24-Feb-18
Stevel, I do know the feds limit commercial somewhat. If there is infringement I imagine it won't be long before they take action. Be interesting to see how it plays out. I've recommended both although only used 40 Mile three times for sheep. If he turns out to be unreliable and I don't think he is, we'll know before long.

For the non-resident hunter his performance is probably the most important factor as long as some feud doesn't interfere.

24-Feb-18
Zack flew me in 2016 for caribou and I had a great hunt. He was very respectful of others camps and airstrips. He told me that he does not use any of 40 Miles' airstrips. He is a safe pilot and that was confirmed to me by 40 Mile in their office previous to my hunt. I will be hunting with Tok Air again this year.

25-Feb-18
Sounds like you will get good service from either side, seems like the demand is there for both services. They should try to get along better.

11-Dec-18
Any updates from those that used TOK Air this season? I’ve got a call into him but he’s out of office until after Christmas.

12-Dec-18
I have several personal friends who flew with both services this year, and my opinion stands.... ask a client of either company (not a client of the other company) and you won’t find a huge complaint from either. Tok is pricing himself out of the resident market IMO and tailoring to the NR demand for his pricing. Can’t blame a guy for charging what the market will allow but kind of eye opening for those of us living up here in regards to tag allocations and transporter/outfittiting restrictions in this great state. I’ve never heard of someone claiming his prices aren’t worth it though.

12-Dec-18
Get reputation insane prices.

12-Dec-18
I used 40 Mile for the first time this past fall. Talk about Grade A Logistics being in order, they are phenomenal and I will continue to use them for many years. That being said, Tok Air's parking lot was FULL of trucks. He isn't hurting for business and he has many repeat clients each year. Several very good friends as well as pilots have nothing but good things to say about their experience with Tok Air. I'd use him based on that alone should the need arise.

There is a reason why 40 Mile is booked completely each year and there is a reason why Tok Air is also booked completely each year at double or more the price.

• Sitka Gear